DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/)
-   -   Anyone here a collector? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/515625-anyone-here-collector.html)

Sander Vreuls April 5th, 2013 05:12 PM

Anyone here a collector?

I was just wondering, with people here from all ages and backgrounds.. does anyone collect old broadcast stuff just for fun?

My primary job is being a vision engineer (shading), but I enjoy finding and buying older pieces of kit, especially stuff from BTS/Philips.. I come across these items on local sites or on ebay or similar and when they come past at the right price I try to snatch them up.. Sadly space has prevented me from getting a big studio camera so far, but I would still like one one day..

I currently have the following:
Philips LDK700 (rebranded Panasonic AJ-D700 ) (1/2" 4:3)
Ikegami HL-V55 (2/3" 4:3)
Philips LDK100 (2/3" 4:3)
BTS LDK93 (1/2" 4:3)
BTS LDK9P (1/2" 16:9)
Sony AVC 3250 (Not really broadcast, tube 4:3)

Most with lenses as well, the LDK9P has a LLA (large lens adapter) and top viewfinder.. with triax and vtr adapters for both the LDK9P and LDK93..
Also have some converter racks, monitors, distribution racks, LDK-14 basestations and various tidbits such as an old Vinten head (a Mk3 I believe).

Interested to see if anyone here has some similar items as well.. and perhaps if they are still being used by you :)

Shaun Roemich April 5th, 2013 10:36 PM

Re: Anyone here a collector?

I wish I would have held onto my Hitachi Z-Ones with studio backs and CCUs.

There certainly was something cool about old school dockable cameras.

Allan Black April 6th, 2013 04:02 PM

I wish now that I'd held onto my collection of Neumann mics, well some of them. But at the time I figured selling them contributed to the sale of our studios, oh well.

Years ago a German Neumann engineer and a rep came out to Australia, and I got to meet them at a reception. Thinking of things to talk about I asked them, 'What makes the Neumanns sound so good.'

This crusty old engineer replies, 'The Berlin air in the capsules' lol who says the Germans don't have a sense of humour.
Later I figured that was a standard in joke with them.

Cheers.

Bob Hart April 7th, 2013 02:47 AM

Not broadcast, - have an old pink and white Sony 1/2" EIAJ portapack camera plus four recorders in the shed in a box, only half a pair of good heads among the lot.

Bill Davis April 18th, 2013 06:43 PM

I've let everything old go except for three touchstone "fetish objects" that mean the most to me personally.

The youngest is the reel-to-reel audio tape recorder I learned to edit tape on in the 1970s.

Next I still have a 1980s Royal manual typewriter (so I can still write if the Zombie Apocalypse should come to pass!)

And finally, my pride and joy - an actual working Webster Chicago wire recorder - the ultimate reminder of how far we've come in the recording arts.

You can't drag everything you love through life, but I figure a few reminder objects are good for the soul.

Keith Dobie April 18th, 2013 07:06 PM

Hey Shaun, those Z-One-Bs were the cameras I started on. Studio/mobiles & dockable S-VHS for ENG and then later we got a Betacam back.

Shaun Roemich April 18th, 2013 09:49 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Two of my guys WAY back in the day with the Hitachis.

They were beautiful cameras in their day, as I'm sure Keith will attest.

Phill Pendleton April 19th, 2013 01:05 AM

Honed my craft shooting 16mm film for news on a CP16, for a while now been thinking of buying one to sit on the shelf...., might have to start hunting! Also used a Bolex H16 wind up with the three lens turret shooting home movies, might get one of those too!
I feel old :-)

Bob Hart April 20th, 2013 01:53 AM

Phill.

As a CP16 driver, here is a little bit of old-home-week for you to ponder. I wonder if anywhere, anytime, anyone ever hosted a threading contest to see who was fastest. The hardest bit about doing a tutorial thing is keeping fingers, hands and an earlobe out of the way.

If you saw the recent Ch 9 telemovie, "The Perth Mint Swindle", the CP16s used in the media doorstop scenes were mine. If they had wanted to, they could have shot actuals. There was a roll of old stock in the CP16R.

Phill Pendleton April 21st, 2013 12:35 AM

Thanks for that footage Bob, a blast from the past. Brought back some great memories.
At press conferences, where we'd have four or more news film cameras lined up from all stations, we used to play a prank. If we noticed one of the camera operators distracted (talking to a journo etc) and away from their camera, we'd quickly unlace their camera. So you'd hear the chatter of three of the cameras starting up and then the unlaced camera going into hyper-drive! Everyone would laugh, stop rolling, let the un-attentive operator lace up and we'd all start again. Even the politicians were across this trick and would be happy to start again.
I guess in hindsight it was a bit mean, but we all had it done to us and we were all good mates.
Amazing to think we could cover a presser with half a mag (4 mins for a 2 min story - good journos who new what they wanted), these days you need to hot swap cards and blast away at everything.

Bob Hart April 21st, 2013 01:10 AM

That clatter in the right ear - unforgettable.

On 400ft rolls, I guess at the time, people were conscious of the cost of the stock even though they were not personally paying for it. For this reason, film introduces competences that fall away when video is being used.

I was watching a documentary on the Americas Cup the other night and thought just how well the older film clips hold up versus video coverage since. It was said around the time film fell out of favour that there was going to be a huge hole in our audio-visual history from that point on as video-recording was already then showing its frailties as an enduring archive.

I used to do a bit of casual stringer camera work for ABC-TV News in remoter areas. The Americas Cup year was the last I did an assignment for them. ABC held out against moving from film until the betacams came along. For the little bit of work I was getting, I could not justify the move to U-Matic or later to Betacam. There was another local guy who bought into U-Matic and I think the depreciation hit him the same way as losing a house.

Sander Vreuls April 28th, 2013 03:50 AM

Just bought another camera.. an LDK-14 from 1984.. The type of camera you see being used at the UK performances of Live aid '85 :)..

I just love seeing how the cameras evolved over time and features got added which are either still in use today or were totally neglected over time..