DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/)
-   -   NY Times Multimeda Article - How did they do this? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/519663-ny-times-multimeda-article-how-did-they-do.html)

Michael Wisniewski October 25th, 2013 11:14 PM

NY Times Multimeda Article - How did they do this?

How did they do this multimedia article on the NY Times?

A Game of Shark and Minnow - Who Will Win Control of the South China Sea? - NYTimes.com

I love they way you can scroll down through article and you get a mix of video, sound, photos and text. (don't use the page links, scrolling is much more interesting). What a great way to tell a story!

David Barnett October 26th, 2013 06:47 AM

Re: NY Times Multimeda Article - How did they do this?

Very cool. Seems it was done entirely just using HTML5. When you 'scroll' down, the background image or auto-play video changes. The text just floats on top of the images & scrolls along.

Jerry Porter October 26th, 2013 07:11 AM

Never mind I thought you were talking about the opening boat ride not the whole piece.

David Barnett October 27th, 2013 07:45 PM

To clarify for the OP (I've been meaning to get back to this if no one else had), it looks very similar to a photography portfolio slider, only top to bottom, not left to right. In fact if you look on the right hand side you'll sometimes see the "1 of 3" and "1 of 5" slider buttons on the right side, about halfway down.

Now, realistically it's a very well coded with delicately placed and positioned anchor tags, similar to when you click on the "Contents" section of Wikipedia or something, and it jumps halfway down ( The Rolling Stones - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ), however now instead of just having pure text on the page, imagine if Wikipedia had photos, and as you scrolled down each photo floating text scrolled by you, until you reached the next anchor tag, causing the photo to flip to the next one. Now, it isn't all photos, some are autoplay videos which probably last 5-10 seconds as a background image.

That's purely laymans terms, lol, and the website is quite an undertaking & must have taken teams of developers to create. I'm not sure if they do these style articles often, or if this one was the prototype, but I'm sure whenever it was initially done it was done as a future of the paper & magazines website in mind. Reinventing media if you will.

Ervin Farkas November 25th, 2013 10:40 PM

Here is another example: Smart lens | QX10 | QX100 | Sony

Mathieu Ghekiere December 5th, 2013 06:16 AM

This one I think it also very clean, and has a great design, with all the white:

NSA files decoded: Edward Snowden's surveillance revelations explained | World news | theguardian.com