DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/)
-   -   Simple database software for home video (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/536268-simple-database-software-home-video.html)

Ken Jarstad September 22nd, 2018 07:48 PM

Simple database software for home video

I don't know where to ask this question - so here goes......

I have finally digitized all my family Hi8 and DV video shot over the last 20 years and have archived them in two backup drives with a 3rd drive to be stored in the safe deposit box. Now I want to start editing this video. I have a pencil/paper index for much of it in a notebook but would like to review everything again and refine the index with searchable tags and better descriptions.

I am looking for a simple database software to do this with. I have searched and found DAM, Digital Assets Management software, which costs like the dickens but is overkill for me. Surely home video editors have used software tailored for this application and I have just missed finding it? I'm sure some would say to use a common database application but designing a new application is something I want to avoid at my age, especially if there is already something designed and available. Thanks,

-=Ken=-

Chris Hurd September 22nd, 2018 08:07 PM

Re: Simple database software for home video

Howdy Ken,

I used DataCrow to catalog my film library. It's free, but dang if I can figure out how to export a PDF from it.

Data Crow - Cataloger

But well worth looking into, in my opinion. Easy and intuitive to use, and the price is right!

Jo Ouwejan September 23rd, 2018 01:36 AM

Microsoft Works?
Not a question, but a suggestion to try the database in the Microsoft Works bundle.

Noa Put September 23rd, 2018 01:59 AM

Another free option is Tmpgenc karma, I never tried it but it might be worth looking into and like Chris said, the price for this is also right :)

TMPGEnc KARMA.. (Freeware)

Vince Pachiano September 24th, 2018 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Hurd (Post 1947004)
Howdy Ken,

I used DataCrow to catalog my film library. It's free, but dang if I can figure out how to export a PDF from it.

Data Crow - Cataloger

But well worth looking into, in my opinion. Easy and intuitive to use, and the price is right!

Just a FYI - I was checking out Data Crow, and saw the following from the creator:
2 April 2018 - Data Crow - the end .

This is where it ends, for my part in Data Crow. I have enjoyed creating the program, giving the support, receiving both praise and also criticism. However, as must have been noticable over the past few months and years, my attention is no longer with this project. It has taken me a good few months to reach this decision as I have always cared for this product. Over the past 15 years, yes, fifteen years, I definitely had periods of not working on Data Crow but it was always naturally followed by long stretches of me putting heart and soul into it. But, as turns out, even though it's (really) hard for me to stop Data Crow it's just as hard to remain enthousiastically involved after fifteen years.

The software will remain downloadable, including the source. If you have an interest in taking hold of the datacrow.net domain, for the purpose of continuing Data crow, drop me a line and I'll get it arranged.

I want to express my gratitude to all of you who downloaded the product and gave it a good old try.

Cheers to all!

Chris Hurd September 24th, 2018 11:22 AM

Interesting, Vince, thanks for that update.

I have not been to the DataCrow site since Dec. 2017.

Despite not figuring out how to export a PDF, I found the software to be easy to use, easy to customize and intuitive.

Ken Jarstad September 24th, 2018 05:06 PM

Thank you gentlemen for your timely replies. It is sometimes difficult to find niche software and you have given me some options to explore.

Since I am running Linux these days the Data Crow package looks like a contender. I vaguely recall the MS Works package having easy to use modules but hasn't been offered for quite a few years and seems ancient now. Tmpgenc Karma looks like a real nice package but I would have to run it in a Virtual Machine.

Great suggestions and I will now explore. Thanks for being here.

-=Ken=-

Rainer Listing September 24th, 2018 11:29 PM

Ken, since you're on Linux you already might have LibreOffice, which has Base, quite a nice flexible database built in. There are lots of tutorials and templates on-line .