DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/)
-   -   A strange request on the phone. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/537517-strange-request-phone.html)

Paul R Johnson July 27th, 2020 03:05 PM

A strange request on the phone.

The other day on Facebook I posted a picture of a train. The back of my new office has a railway line next too the car park, and I snapped a train going past. Today I got a phone call out of the blue asking about the picture, and asking off my office was on the East Suffolk line. I said yes - it is indeed. He was a train fan and apparently an unusual train was heading my way - was there any chance I could get a camera and shoot it passing at 10:40. I looked at what I was doing (waiting for a big drive to copy to another - so I grabbed a couple of cameras, tripod and an umbrella as it was raining and did it for him. Dead on time, a single engine arrived and headed south. Driver training, apparently. What gets me is that my office address is not on any internet location I'm aware of - and the phone number and address you get on a search is my home - not the office/studio. I guess he must have recognised the location. The power of the internet is amazing sometimes!

Jim Michael July 27th, 2020 08:48 PM

Re: A strange request on the phone.

Does the image contain the time it was taken in the metadata? Any other data like copyright and contact info?

Paul R Johnson July 27th, 2020 11:57 PM

Id not thought about that? I'll check but I suspect there are more trainspotters around than I thought!

Ronald Jackson July 29th, 2020 01:11 AM

And the offending loco?

Ron

ps former train - spotter in the days of steam

Paul R Johnson July 29th, 2020 01:35 PM

Here you go.

Doug Jensen July 29th, 2020 05:28 PM

I also got a similar call. The guy said my wife was coming out of the shower at 10:10 and asked if there was any chance I could grab a camera and get a picture of it. I don't know how he knew it was about to happen, but he sure liked the pictures.

Paul R Johnson July 30th, 2020 12:09 AM

Didn't the steam fog the lens, other than that, can't see a problem in these covid times any income stream is better than none.

Vince Pachiano July 30th, 2020 10:52 AM

deleted deleted

Pete Cofrancesco July 30th, 2020 11:28 AM

I've heard in Southern California there are more of those types of jobs. ;-)

Andrew Smith July 31st, 2020 01:26 AM

I heard the exposure really was terrific this time.

Andrew

Ronald Jackson July 31st, 2020 05:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul R Johnson (Post 1960404)

Nice albeit a diesel!

Ron

Josh Bass August 6th, 2020 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug Jensen (Post 1960408)
I also got a similar call. The guy said my wife was coming out of the shower at 10:10 and asked if there was any chance I could grab a camera and get a picture of it. I don't know how he knew it was about to happen, but he sure liked the pictures.

Got the same call. Thing is, I’m not married and he called me “Stanley”.

Ok made that up but I really do get a lot of robo texts where they address me as Stanley.

Doug Jensen August 7th, 2020 11:09 AM

Maybe Stanley is the male version of Karen. They are insulting you by long distance and you don't even know it.

Josh Bass August 7th, 2020 03:14 PM

Oh great. So in addition to stealing my data they know about my love of requesting to talk to managers.

John Nantz August 10th, 2020 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul R Johnson (Post 1960369)
The other day on Facebook I posted a picture of a train. The back of my new office has a railway line next too the car park, and I snapped a train going past. Today I got a phone call out of the blue asking about the picture, and asking off my office was on the East Suffolk line. I said yes - it is indeed. He was a train fan and apparently an unusual train was heading my way - was there any chance I could get a camera and shoot it passing at 10:40. I looked at what I was doing (waiting for a big drive to copy to another - so I grabbed a couple of cameras, tripod and an umbrella as it was raining and did it for him. Dead on time, a single engine arrived and headed south. Driver training, apparently. What gets me is that my office address is not on any internet location I'm aware of - and the phone number and address you get on a search is my home - not the office/studio. I guess he must have recognised the location. The power of the internet is amazing sometimes!

Ummm..... me thinks he was a client of the guy with the office above and found out about your operation that way, and, to contact you, um... a retired MI5 (or is that M15?) guy who moved to your sleepy town from London?

Spooky!