DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/)
-   -   BTS Dynamite. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/537746-bts-dynamite.html)

Allan Black December 26th, 2020 10:18 PM

BTS Dynamite.

Check this out ...

The new Galaxy tv phone ad. here features this and in this version, Galaxy knew the hook comes at 2.49 so they started at 2.32. Whoever produced this deserves full marks.

Cheers.

Allan Black January 1st, 2021 02:10 PM

Re: BTS Dynamite.

Back in the 1920s, writers of popular songs used ‘song pluggers’ professional piano players and singers to perform their new songs for the passing public. If the new song was catchy enough, word got around and a popular artist of the day would include it in their performance or stand in front of a recording horn and sing it for the new 78rpm records. Weeks later it would get a spin on radio stations around the country encouraging listeners to buy a copy to play on their Victrola players.

At the turn of the 20th century in Manhattan and London’s West End, it was called Tin Pan Alley. In the 21st century, today it’s called YouTube.

The BTS music video Dynamite is the fastest in YouTube history to cross the 200 million mark in just four days and twelve hours after release and the fastest by a music group to surpass 400 million views, on September 26, 2020, 35 days after release. The music video passed 600 million views on November 16; it’s BTS’ ninth release to achieve the milestone. (Wikipedia)

What would composer Irving Berlin think of that.

Cheers.

Andrew Smith January 1st, 2021 11:06 PM

I still have no idea whatever a BTS is.

Andrew

Allan Black January 3rd, 2021 01:29 PM

The Sth. Korean group's name, BTS, is an acronym for the Korean expression Bangtan Sonyeondan (Hangul: 방탄소년단; Hanja: 防彈少年團), literally meaning "Bulletproof Boy Scouts". The name was conceptualized with the thought that BTS would block out stereotypes, criticisms, and expectations that aim on adolescents like bullets and protect the values and ideals of today’s adolescents. In Japan, they are known as Bōdan Shōnendan (防弾少年団), which translates similarly.

In July 2017, BTS announced that in addition to being known as Bangtan Sonyeondan or Bulletproof Boy Scouts, the acronym would also stand for "Beyond The Scene" as part of their new brand identity. This extended their name to mean "growing youth BTS who is going beyond the realities they are facing, and going forward."

Cheers.

Allan Black January 6th, 2021 01:54 PM

What’s interesting about ‘Dynamite’ is the number and type of remixes available, including a limited edition cassette. With the marketing arm working overtime using YouTube and diehard fans buying hard copies, it’s never been done before. We’re approaching Beatlemania of the 1960s.

Using the original tracks, the producers have added or featured one or two of the instruments.

Dynamite (Digital single)

1. Dynamite - 3:19
2. Dynamite (Instrumental) - 3:19

Limited Edition 7" Vinyl

Limited Edition Cassette

1. Dynamite
A-side - 3.19

1. Dynamite
B-side - 3.19

Dynamite (Extended)

3. Dynamite (Acoustic Remix) - 3:18
4. Dynamite (EDM Remix) - 3:18

Dynamite (DayTime Version)

3. Dynamite (Acoustic Remix) - 3:18
4. Dynamite (EDM Remix) - 3:18
5. Dynamite (Tropical Remix)- 3:17
6. Dynamite (Poolside Remix) - 3:02

Dynamite (NightTime Version)

3. Dynamite (Slow Jam Remix) - 3:19
4. Dynamite (Midnight Remix) - 3:16
5. Dynamite (Retro Remix) - 3:28
6. Dynamite (Bedroom Remix) - 3:27

Limited Edition CD Single.

1. Dynamite - 3:19.
2. Dynamite (Instrumental) - 3:19.
3. Dynamite (Acoustic Remix) - 3:18.
4. Dynamite (EDM Remix) - 3:18.
5. Dynamite (Tropical Remix)- 3:17.
6. Dynamite (Poolside Remix) - 3:02.
7. Dynamite (Slow Jam Remix) - 3:19.
8. Dynamite (Midnight Remix) - 3:16.
9. Dynamite (Retro Remix) - 3:28.
10. Dynamite (Bedroom Remix) - 3:27

Cheers.

Allan Black February 9th, 2021 04:38 PM

My interest in BTS is in their new marketing device, how are they doing selling all their CD versions and tapes.
Then I came across this amazing piece ...

Half a century after their breakup, The Beatles are still the biggest rock band of 2020, shifting 1.094 million album-equivalent units through the first six months of the year, 326,000 units ahead of the genre’s second-place finisher, Queen. The Fab Four also had the fifth-bestselling vinyl album of the year, selling 54,000 copies of their 1969 opus Abbey Road. The Beatles also perform exceptionally well on streaming services, with many songs racking up hundreds of millions of plays.

But back to BTS, they’re nominated for a 2021 Grammy on March 14 ...

6. Best Pop Duo/Group Performance
For new vocal or instrumental duo/group or collaborative pop recordings. Singles or Tracks only.

UN DIA (ONE DAY)
J Balvin, Dua Lipa, Bad Bunny & Tainy

INTENTIONS
Justin Bieber Featuring Quavo

DYNAMITE
BTS

RAIN ON ME
Lady Gaga with Ariana Grande

EXILE
Taylor Swift Featuring Bon Iver

Cheers.

Greg Miller February 11th, 2021 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allan Black (Post 1963158)
... a popular artist of the day would include it in their performance or stand in front of a recording horn and sing it for the new 78rpm records. Weeks later it would get a spin on radio stations around the country ...

I would have thought electrical (as opposed to acoustic) recording would have predated the expansion of broadcast radio as a medium, i.e. valve-based audio circuitry predating valve-based RF circuitry which is more complex.

Allan Black February 12th, 2021 03:14 AM

Greg thanks, I was more into the period, not the tech. details.

One interesting release is the BTS ‘Limited Edition’ audio cassette. I wonder how much thought the producers put into that.

With one 3.19 min. BTS song on either side, it’s a very short cassette and with many old audio cassette players now out of operating specs. their short cassette is not going to have the correct tape back tension in many players, and they’ll likely get damaged.

In the mid 1980s we owned a large recorded cassette factory in Sydney and even back then, we would have suggested the client double or triple play the song on Sides A and B, to increase the weight of tape in the cassette shells. Sure it would have increased our price a bit, but it got to the stage if the client wouldn’t do it, after a few early instances where punters returned their damaged short cassettes, we wouldn’t do it.

I’m interested in the marketing aspect and it’s obvious, by calling it Limited Edition the producers want to screw every single dollar out of their dedicated fans. If there is a demand they’ll run more.

Cheers.

Greg Miller February 12th, 2021 09:59 AM

Allan,

I'm a bit puzzled by that technical detail, also. I would think that any cassette, when it got down to the last 3:19 of play time, would have the same amount of tape on the supply spindle as this BTS cassette has (at the beginning of the 3:19 length). Likewise, I would think that any cassette, when it got down to the last :60 of play time, would have the same amount of tape on the supply spindle as this BTS cassette has when it is down to its last :60 of time. And so on. I don't quite understand the problem caused by having a short cassette.

In addition to my other past exploits, at one time I owned a stereo repair shop. Sadly (because I inherently dislike audio cassettes) I saw and repaired a large number of cassette machines. Every machine that I can recall kept the tape against the head(s) by means of felt pressure pads which were an integral part of the cassette, so the amount of tape on the supply spindle would have negligible effect on playback performance. (This is different from professional R-R machines, where there are no pressure pads, and hold-back tension from the supply spindle -- sometimes including a tension feedback mechanism -- is responsible for maintaining proper tape-to-head contact.)

Allan Black February 12th, 2021 07:23 PM

Greg. Much to my wife’s relief I’ve only recently managed to stop boring people at parties with the intricacies of professional cassette duplication. The real secret is to own the building your plant is operating in, and I learnt this coming through the ranks. So when we got an offer I couldn’t refuse we sold everything. Our plant in now operating in Indonesia where, if it wasn’t for 3rd. world countries, magnetic tape would have disappeared long ago.

The weight and pack diameter of short cassette program, near the end of the side can be a problem be it C6, C60 or C90. The problem is likely to be in the condition of the punters cassette deck. If it’s single motor rubber belt operated, old and out of spec. when the rewind button is pressed the tape could go slack then stretch before it starts rewinding.

In this case I’m referring to BTSs L.E. release. They’re starting out with a short cassette and I’d say quite a number of their fans decks would now be in that category.

Cheers.

Greg Miller February 12th, 2021 11:40 PM

Thanks for the explanation, Allan. I can rather picture what you're describing. The tape would jerk, bounce, go slack, then when the slack was gone it would stretch.

As I said, I never liked cassettes. I have a Nakamichi 350 around here somewhere, but I probably used it less than a dozen times. At our repair shop we tried to warn away customers who brought in terribly cheap machines, telling them cost of repair would > cost of new machine. (However, in retrospect I would have archived a lot more material if I'd used cassettes ... 10.5" reels of tape were pretty pricey).

Allan Black March 15th, 2021 07:21 PM

Greg. That’s right, you’ve got it. It’s to do with the rewind sequence in single motor rubber belt operated cassette decks especially when they require maintenance. It occurred more in the Aust. summer heat when the heat in cars could go well over 50C. That’s 122F. referring to another thread here :)

Nakamichi is a great brand, I’d hang onto it.

Japanese TDK AD cassettes are the best economical quality tape brand, but not available in pancakes here for our use. We used similar German BASF tape pancakes because they never varied in tape spec. quality and we used a lot of it. We were offered much cheaper Asian brands but after testing a few samples we were worried about their repeated quality, and to use them we’d have to realign the record bias in our duplicator system. That took almost a day and we’d check that every 3 weeks anyway.

Because the buck stopped with me, I had to know what was going on in the ‘engine room,’ so I could talk with the clients and answer any tech. questions. And short duration programs were always trouble, hence the BTS L.E. question.

Cheers.