DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/)
-   -   my boss got the video Ipod and... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/54794-my-boss-got-video-ipod.html)

Greg Harris November 22nd, 2005 07:04 AM

my boss got the video Ipod and...

well it's just amazing, VERY clear video and I really want to buy one now. What's the best/easiest way to get video on the idod? My boss was talking about taking a dvd and converting it but I have no idea how to rip a dvd off of the actual disk onto your computer. So what I'm really asking is, when I get my ipod and I want to put "the matrix" on it, how would I go about doing that???

thanks

Peter Wiley November 22nd, 2005 08:17 AM

If by chance you are on a Mac you can use a program called Handbreak. It will rip the DVD into a file you can use on the iPod. It does take some time and the compression is not quite as good as TV shows from Apple but it is pretty good.

I am sure there are other similar programs for Windows

Greg Harris November 22nd, 2005 08:53 AM

yeah, i'm on Windows.

Greg Harris November 22nd, 2005 12:26 PM

Movies aren't available for download from itunes is it? It just seems like so much work to get video on it.

Dan Euritt November 22nd, 2005 04:14 PM

it's just an h.264 file, right? find out the frame size and bitrate specs for the video, then check out nero as the encoder... you can do two-pass encoding with it, the quality is good.

ipod probably hooks up to the computer with firewire?? just copy the file over to it?

Hse Kha November 24th, 2005 07:48 PM

I love my 60GB Video iPod too.

It was not easy but I found a way and now I get super quality videos on it from any DVD, DV Camera, anything.

Basically you need QuickTime Pro and another software that can write to QuickTime.

Anyway the steps are:-

1) Rip the DVD to your hard drive.

2) Convert the DVD to an AVI file.

3) Convert the AVI file to a MOV file.

4) Use QuickTime Pro 7 to convert that MOV file to a m4v file.

Good luck.

Greg Boston November 24th, 2005 09:06 PM

There was also a news story about Tivo intending to make video stored on their units downloadable to the Video Ipod. Could be very interesting to see how that works out.

-gb-

Eric Brown November 25th, 2005 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Boston
There was also a news story about Tivo intending to make video stored on their units downloadable to the Video Ipod. Could be very interesting to see how that works out.

-gb-

Now you're talkin'! I could go for watching my 1/2 hr - 1hr TV shows on the tiny screen. It's the longer content I'm concerned about.
The thought of watching Lord of the rings on a 2.5 inch? screen doesn't much appeal to me.

Boyd Ostroff November 25th, 2005 06:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Boston
There was also a news story about Tivo intending to make video stored on their units downloadable to the Video Ipod.

See the following: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=54736

Greg Harris November 27th, 2005 12:44 PM

How would I rip a dvd on a PC? Is there a program I need?

thanks

Nick Jushchyshyn November 28th, 2005 09:44 AM

Videora is a free program for PC that converts video files to iPod-friendly formats.

On a Mac, QuickTime Pro has a preset menu command to convert a video for iPod.

Greg Harris November 28th, 2005 02:11 PM

WOW, that's awesome!!
Thanks

Rob Moreno November 29th, 2005 02:39 AM

For you mac users, the latest version of the freeware app mpeg streamclip has an option to export to ipod. i believe you can just drag the video ts folder from a dvd and export. i haven't tried it yet, though.

Greg Harris November 29th, 2005 07:13 AM

When I converted the dvd I put in my computer it opened the DVD with lots of different files, then converted. Is there a way to rip the video from the dvd and have it remain as one icon? or should I just bring all of the files into premier pro, then export it and bring it into videora ipod.

thanks

Nick Vaughan November 29th, 2005 12:46 PM

What's the battery life on those things?