DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/)
-   -   Film Scanner Question (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/5691-film-scanner-question.html)

Mark Austin December 28th, 2002 06:18 PM

Film Scanner Question

I need to get a film scanner than will allow me to scan some 35mm stills and 120/220 (645) film. Have any of you folks got a recomendation? I have heard the Artixscan 4000t is excellent, but it only does 35mm.
Thanks,
Mark

Richard Alvarez December 28th, 2002 07:57 PM

Mark,
I am having excellent results with the Epson2400.
Bill

Jeff Donald December 28th, 2002 10:10 PM

Mark,

I'll be blunt, what is your budget for a scanner? I've used the Nikon, Canon and Minolta scanners. Flat bed scanners are slow, have a smaller contrast range, slow, less expensive and slow. But if you don't do much scanning they will work fine.

Jeff

Mark Austin December 29th, 2002 08:18 AM

Budget

I have about $1200 to spend.

There is a project I've been working on for a couple of years and I want to scan about 600 B&W images from 120/220 film. I need to be able to do fairly large prints from the scans (16x22).

I have 2,500 120/220 (645) images and about 25,000 35mm slides/negatives I could archive. While I'm not going to be using scanner in a production environment, I do have a lot of stuff I could scan.

I'd love to get the Imacon flexscan but even eBay prices are over $2k.

Thanks
Mark

Mark Austin December 29th, 2002 08:22 AM

Medium format

<<<-- Originally posted by BillAngstrom : Mark,
I am having excellent results with the Epson2400.
Bill -->>>

It's my understanding that the 2400 can only do 35mm not 120/220 (6cm x 4.5cm). Is that correct? Or have the reviews I've read on it been incorrect?
Mark

Jeff Donald December 29th, 2002 08:43 AM

Which Nikon did you try? At this point in time the best multi format scanner I've used is the Minolta http://www.imaging-resource.com/SCAN/DSMP/DSMA.HTM But it is more than twice your budget. There are some good scanners in your range, but the medium format aspect kills your budget. Canon has a model near your range but I was not overly impressed, but its closer to your budget. E-bay may be your best bet.

Jeff

Mark Austin December 29th, 2002 08:49 AM

I had a Nikon coolscan 4000, but the dmax was only 3.6 and at the time it was $1500 so I decided to wait for a year or so. So here I am again trying to figure out what will work.
Mark

Jeff Donald December 29th, 2002 08:51 AM

The Epson 2450 does up to 4x9 positive and negative films with the included adapter. It also uses FireWire for faster scans. The 2400 only does 35mm. For $99 you can add an adapter similar to the 2450. The 2400 is not FireWire however. It is only USB. The FireWire speeds it up a little, which helps. The 2450 is the best phot scanner under $500 in my opinion.

Jeff

Mark Austin December 29th, 2002 09:01 AM

Epson 2450

I have been reading reviews and I think that the epson 2450 takes the gold in just about every review I have read. There is supposed to be an upgraded version coming out (the 3200) that is basically the same except it's 2-3 times faster. Firewire is a big plus. I have never been impressed with USB, and even though USB2 is supposed to be faster than IEEE1394, nothing I've read confirms that. In fact it's only a thoretical speed and the truth is it's not much faster than USB1.

I guess I need to find a 2450 somewhere and buy it. I can use the money I save to buy some other cool DV stuff I'm sure!
Thanks
Mark

Jeff Donald December 29th, 2002 09:13 AM

The 2450's can be found at CompUSA, Office Depot, Circut City. I don't know about Offic Max or Staples. Best Buy doesn't carry much if any Epson. The Apple Store has them also. Does Huston have an Apple Store yet? They run $399 everywhere. Once or twice I've seen them offered with a $50 gift card (Office Depot).

Jeff

Mark Austin December 29th, 2002 09:35 AM

Thanks

We just got our Apple store this year 2002, I know it well! We have a CompUSA but thier return policy sucks, 14 days then you're on your own. I got a Targus rolling computer case for my wife's birthday there but it was too big for her to travel with. They wouldn't take it back, still boxed, after 20 days. I sold it on eBay and lost about $250 in the process so I don't shop there anymore. There are a few other decent stores here. I could probably save a few $$ by going on line, but I'll spend a few more bucks for local service and support.
Has anyone heard of the updated version ~ the 3200?

Richard Alvarez December 29th, 2002 12:11 PM

The 2400 is only designed for 35mm, but the scanning path and light is large enough for 120/220. I just lay the negs on the bed and scan away. It's not a perfect system but it works in a pinch. I keep planning to make a template for them, like the 35negs and slides... good intentions.

Having said that, considering the volume you are working with, it would definately be too slow to suit your purposes. But I did pick it up on sale at Fry's for 179 dollars... a steal at that price.

Bill

Jeff Donald December 29th, 2002 01:03 PM

The Epson 3200 http://www.epson.co.uk/sohoprod/imag...3200/index.htm is available just about everywhere but NA. It offers higher resolution and faster scanning. The TWAIN drivers are said to be improved along with additional software features (color restoration, scratch removal etc.). It is rumored to be available in Janauary, but I don't expect it until late January or February.

Jeff

Left out the price. Probably between $400 and $450.

Jeff Donald January 9th, 2003 09:08 AM

Epson announced the $399 Epson Perfection 3200 Photo and $599 Perfection 3200 Pro scanners. The new scanners feature 3200 x 6400 dpi hardware resolution, 3.4 Dmax, 48-bit color depth, transparency adapter, and both FireWire and USB 2.0 ports. The Pro model adds offers both reflective and transmissive IT8 targets for color matching, plus extra software such as MonacoEZcolor. The company also upgraded the popular Epson Stylus Photo 960 printer with the ability to print on CDs. The upgrade includes both a CD tray and software and is scheduled to begin shipping with the printer in February. Current owners can download a coupon from the printer description page on the Epson web site.

This update is from MacWorld

Jeff

Mark Austin January 9th, 2003 08:29 PM

Super good news!

Now I can start archiving the pile of stuff I have.
Thanks for the update.
Mark