DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/)
-   -   Various TOTEM posts 2007 - 2008 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/83715-various-totem-posts-2007-2008-a.html)

Richard Alvarez July 10th, 2008 07:08 AM

Selling faked footage to AP

Interesting article, seems the AP got fooled by some fake footage of a tornado.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080710/.../tornado_video

David Tamés July 15th, 2008 05:00 PM

Media Tech Tonic #3: Sony PMW-EX1

The topic of this month's Media Tech Tonic meeting (in Boston) @ 6:30pm on Wednesday, July 16th at MassArt is the Sony PMW-EX1 camcorder and XDCAM EX FCP workflow. Two cameras and several users will gather to talk and compare notes on this camera. Read more about the meeting at MediaTechTonic.org. Follow the link on the site to Upcoming to RSVP.

Kevin Fox August 6th, 2008 11:47 AM

Community TV on the Web?

I've been kicking this idea around for some time, and it is starting to get a bit overwhelming so I will ask for some advice. First, is anyone aware of a community that is doing this? I don't mean You-tube posting of homemade videos, but an actual "TV" channel that is "broadcasting" just on the web.

This opens up a very long explanation of all of the possibilities, but a quick list would be:

A regular schedule of programs (ie: block programming) that would air either live or as playback.

Open slots for organizations to purchase time (either 15 or 30 minute blocks?). These could be either non-profits or local businesses. Non-profits would have to acquire sponsors. Businesses could highlight products/services or produce info-type programs (like HGTV/Food Net, etc) that would compliment same.

Long form program slots (Sunday services from a local church, interactive coverage of a charity auction, etc.)

We would originate programming from a studio set-up, but would also need to be able to air playback and would love to be able to do "live shots" from a remote location for events like the long form stuff.

The production equipment can be had, and I am learning as much as I can about the origination on the web (I am working to partner with someone with much more knowledge in this area), but is it "marketable". Even on a small scale, the costs could easily run around $1000/day.

I think this idea is a bit early in it's application, but look at the "Current" channel. It seems that the "interactivity" side of broadcasting is already starting to take hold. The Web is all about the immediacy of information.

Just wondering what others think. I've already gotten the "your nuts" answer from my shrink, so please try to start with something else. Any ideas will be most appreciated and welcomed.

Best,

Kfox

Peter Wiley August 7th, 2008 09:28 AM

PLEASE HELP: Your Ideal Film / Video Festival

I am working with a local historic, nonprofit movie theatre that's within driving distance of NYC, DC, Philly, Pittsburgh, Baltimore and much of the mid-Atlantic region to develop a new film and video festival.

Please help us by answering these questions:

1) What would a new film/video festival have to provide or feature for you to drive four hours to attend? Special content? Educational opportunities? Equipment exhibitions? Opportunity to meet famous video/filmmakers?

2) If the festival had to be confined to a specific genre or type of film, which genre or type of film would you be most likely to bring you out?

Don't be afraid to think big. Thanks for any responses.

Boyd Ostroff August 14th, 2008 01:27 PM

Netflix suffers biggest outage ever

Netflix suffers biggest outage ever | Markets | Markets News | Reuters

Quote:

Online DVD rental service Netflix Inc said on Thursday the most severe system outage in its history was preventing shipments of discs to about a third of its 8.4 million customers.

The Los Gatos, Calif-based company said it shipped no DVDs on Tuesday, some on Wednesday and none so far on Thursday.

Netflix spokesman Steve Swasey said the company would provide credits to affected customers and was working "feverishly" to determine the cause of the outage and fix the problem.

Kirsten Scully September 1st, 2008 10:46 AM

PBS standard rates

I have been asked by a New York production company for footage I shot... they will be using it for promo material and also for a documentary series. It has been suggested that I ask for PBS standard rates... can anyone tell me where I find out what the rates are (I live in Spain)
Thanks

Larry Horwitz September 2nd, 2008 06:56 PM

Off-Topic...Superb quadcore deal from Dell

Having bought an XPS420 Dell 3.0 GHz quadcore a few months ago for close to 3 grand, I am amazed at this latest deal for $999 for the same model.

Although it lacks the BluRay burner, and fastest QX9650 Intel Extreme processor I bought, it is a great platform for AVCHD (or HDV) editing.

Just wanted to let people here know.

I have no connection to Dell or other motives. Just know a great deal on a great computer when I see it.

Hot Deals / Offers: Dell XPS 420 Desktop, Intel Core 2 Quad Core 2.4GHz, 4GB DDR2, 640GB, 16x DL DVD±RW/±R/CD-RW, Vista Home Premium w/Digital Cable Support SP1, 20" LCD w/Webcam, 256MB Video Card, 15-Month McAfee SecurityCenter $999.00 + Free Shippi

Larry

Paulo Teixeira September 4th, 2008 09:36 PM

Google Web Browser

Looks like Google is trying to take on Firefox, Internet Explorer, Opera and Safari.

It’s called Chrome and it’s already available for download.
Google Chrome - Download a new browser

Nathan Quattrini September 9th, 2008 01:11 PM

Members from Australia?

Anyone hear from AU? If so what part? I am thinking of visiting my girlfriend either for New Years, or after, for 3 months and would love to find some small video jobs out there.

Nathan Quattrini September 10th, 2008 11:38 AM

Premiere pamphlet template?

Hey guys, my short films won`t premiere for a few months still, but I am trying to get everything ready and started as early as possible. I want to make some infomational pamphlets/booklets to hand out at the premiere but am having a hard time tracking down a template. I am looking for the kind where a printed page would be horizontal with 2 pages on it (folded in the middle), and all together (about 15 pages) it would be printed as a booklet. Not sure if that makes sens or not, I believe it requires double sided printing, but I`m not exactly sure. Any guidance would be awesome.

Paul Mailath September 23rd, 2008 10:40 PM

for the New Zealanders among us

YouTube - Beached Whale

It really sticks in your head - I've been saying "wannachipbro?" all day

Dennis Stevens October 1st, 2008 05:36 PM

indie film thoughts.

Beyond the Multiplex - Salon.com

O'Hehir sort of skirts around his point - on Salon.com, criticizing the 'gritty indie film' is heresy, I imagine.

James Martin October 20th, 2008 06:55 AM

Anyone willing to donate HDCAM footage?

Hi Everyone,

I'm currently a film student/DoP in training trying to get together some money to shoot a short. I want to shoot HDCAM, as a step-up from HDV but I'm finding it very difficult to get any decent clips - they're all compressed to death.

What I'd love is if someone, anyone, could send me or give me the link to a relatively uncompressed (say AVID DNxHD 120) clip of ANYTHING - seriously, anything at all.

I can provide an FTP if need be - I know the files are big.

Thankyou,
James Martin.

Jack Zhang October 31st, 2008 11:48 PM

Ghost Hunters Live - Get your NP-F970s ready.

This is a 7 hour live event from Fort Delaware on the SciFi channel. I feel it's a technological feat that the DOPs can survive the 7 hours of the broadcast. Not to mention the wireless transmitters they're using...

Any early comments?