DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/)
-   -   What's your day job? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/98728-whats-your-day-job.html)

Dana Reynolds July 12th, 2007 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Brown (Post 711001)
They finally found someone to fill that position huh? I saw them advertising for that position for ages. Good luck to you.

Tim

Still actually hiring more for the department. You'll probably still see the ads.

Marco Wagner July 12th, 2007 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heath McKnight (Post 711025)
Marco,

I have done reviews at both www.DVinfo.net and www.HDVinfo.net, which led to co-writing "HDV: What You Need to Know, Vol. 2" with Douglas Spotted Eagle.

Maybe I should do some reviews, lol...

Heath McKnight July 12th, 2007 05:33 PM

It's also all about networking, too.

heath

Brian Standing July 13th, 2007 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marco Wagner (Post 710961)
It probably gives you access to some pretty nice locations though, no?

Unfortunately, I spend most of my day sitting at a desk.

But, you are right to some degree. I do occasionally come across some favorite fishing holes, taverns and bird-watching or star-gazing spots.
[No, I ain't telling! So don't ask! ;-)]

My favorite jobs are when I get to help out our Parks Department look over some potential new acquisitions. The real downers are the new sites for giant subdivisions or strip malls. Bleah!

Brian Standing July 13th, 2007 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heath McKnight (Post 711030)
And like most of us here, I'd love to work only as a film director/producer. However, I love my day jobs.

heath

I love my health insurance.

Heath McKnight July 13th, 2007 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Standing (Post 711663)
I love my health insurance.

I love my health insurance via my wife.

heath

Marco Wagner July 13th, 2007 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Standing (Post 711661)
The real downers are the new sites for giant subdivisions or strip malls. Bleah!

Booo, yeah we see that out here as well. So sad watching Coyotes running around a soon to be strip mall, looking for what was his den...

Frank Granovski July 23rd, 2007 07:34 PM

What's your day job?
The wife.
But I was seriously thinking of getting a part time job at a gas station.
How's that?

--------------------------------------
Actually, I write for other people---almost anything (mostly legal stuff), and an article now and then. That and some video or stills along with selling instructional tapes and a book.

Martin Catt July 24th, 2007 02:41 AM

I have a degree in watchmaking. I'm currently employed as an aircraft flight instrument technician, repairing the older electromechanical flight instruments used in helicopters. It's a fun gig. There is a shortage of people who can work on the older instruments.

Before that, I worked for a major international jewelry line as a watchmaker in one of their national repair centers.

Heath McKnight July 24th, 2007 09:43 AM

Martin,

One of my old favorite guitarists of Anthrax, Dan Spitz, left the band in 1995 or so and became a very well-regarded watchmaker. I think he moved from New York to Miami. He recently did a reunion tour with the former singer and bassist of Anthrax, but I believe his passion is now watches.

I am even considering wearing one again after I saw some nice Casios. At any rate, welcome aboard!

heath

Brendan Donohue July 24th, 2007 10:01 AM

-A/V music analyst...TV Ops department @ BMI (Broadcast Music Inc.)-full time job

-freelance recording engineer, musician and aspiring videographer- takes up all the rest of my time and money!!

John Miller July 24th, 2007 12:06 PM

I work for a behemoth drug company, responsible for developing new asthma therapies. Been with the company 15 years, 4.5 in the UK and the last 10.5 here in North Carolina. I was attracted here for a number of reasons, including the fantastic diving of the NC coast. I'm also a fully qualified scuba instructor. Above the water, I sing and play guitar (inspired by the likes of Led Zeppelin, Neil Young and others). I've written a few songs along the way.

My software company is a sideline and I've been somewhat taken aback by the number of custom projects I've been asked to do. Strangley, the vast majority are all related to high school athletic events. Since I thoroughly enjoy writing software and videography (esp. under water!), the marriage of the two is very rewarding.

Heath McKnight July 24th, 2007 12:14 PM

John,

You are one of many fascinating people here at DVi, welcome! And interesting about the asthma stuff--I've been living with it for 28 years now and the newest meds have made me feel better than ever.

heath

Mike Teutsch July 24th, 2007 03:36 PM

Heath,

Your article in this month's "Videomaker" magazine is excellent! Brief, concise, and easy to understand. Congratulations on a job well done.

Mike

Heath McKnight July 24th, 2007 05:07 PM

Thanks, Mike. It was one of the hardest things I've written because it's "deep tech" and I had to make it easy to understand, even for me, if I were to just pick it up not as a writer, but as a reader.

heath