DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Tripod Sticks & Heads (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/tripod-sticks-heads/)
-   -   Bubble levels (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/tripod-sticks-heads/134698-bubble-levels.html)

Buck Forester September 24th, 2008 08:45 PM

Bubble levels

Maybe I should be asking these types of questions in another forum title, but I pretty much hang out here in the EX1 forum. I hope that's okay. If not someone can move the thread and tell me where to go, ha!

What bubble levels do you recommend? I have the Miller DS20 tripod system, and the Microdolly jib. In my still photography I have a bubble on my Bogen tripod. I know there are hotshoe mounted bubble solutions too. What works best for you? There's not much worse than thinking you're shooting a straight horizon and get home and see you're slightly off. I need to use instruments to keep me straight, I think my eyes are crooked sometimes. Thank you. At least I'm down to the fine-tuning smaller items such as release plates and bubbles. Choosing my camera, editing system, monitoring, audio, etc., where the tough ones. I'm just about ready to be cut loose and see what I can do.

Buck Forester September 24th, 2008 09:16 PM

Ooops, I guess my Miller head does have a small bubble on it.

Andrew Hollister September 24th, 2008 10:29 PM

so does mine :)

Matthew Pugerude September 24th, 2008 10:31 PM

Wøw I never noticed that mine does too!!! Just kidding all in good fun Buck. :)

Buck Forester September 24th, 2008 11:02 PM

Ha! I'm beginning to feel like my brain is a bubble and it's definitely off level.

Okay, Miller tripods are made in Australia/S. Hemisphere... does that mean the bubble leans in reverse direction to the tilt here in N. America? :Þ

Serena Steuart September 25th, 2008 01:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck Forester (Post 942830)
Ha! I'm beginning to feel like my brain is a bubble and it's definitely off level.

Okay, Miller tripods are made in Australia/S. Hemisphere... does that mean the bubble leans in reverse direction to the tilt here in N. America? :Þ

No, but you do have to mount the camera upside down.

John Woo September 25th, 2008 01:29 AM

What about during hand held. Sometime it is hard to judge from the LCD whether we are levelled. Is there a sticker type bubble which I can paste on the EX1 handle so that with 1 look I can immediately tell whether my shot are levelled properly.

Charles Papert September 25th, 2008 02:05 AM

A simple line level that you get at the hardware store will do the trick. They generally come in a plastic housing to hang on a line, but you can easily snap the capsule out and then use adhesive velcro to stick to your camera or better yet, glue directly to the camera (better for knowing that you can trust the level, not so great for resale perhaps).

Hubert Duijzer September 25th, 2008 02:39 PM

Or get a shoe mounted one for cheap, just like i did. Manfrotto/Bogen 2 Axis HotShoe Bubble Level BulkPackage - eBay, Other, Digital Camera Accessories, Camera Accessories, Cameras Photo. (Eindtijd 27-sep-08 05:05:42 CEST)

Gints Klimanis October 8th, 2008 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charles Papert (Post 942874)
A simple line level that you get at the hardware store will do the trick.

This is a good idea. I'd like to put one on the LCD. I have a number of hot shoe bubbles, but they're no good if you need the hot shoe. Even so, I think they're best suited for tripod use.

Charles Papert October 8th, 2008 06:53 PM

Remember that spirit levels are prone to acceleration, as every Steadicam operator knows all too well. A fast sideways move may suggest that the camera is off-level by the position of the bubble, but it's only when you come to a stop (or maintain consistent speed) that the bubble overcomes the effects of acceleration and show an accurate level.