DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Tripod Sticks & Heads (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/tripod-sticks-heads/)
-   -   Need a tripod but don't want to break the bank (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/tripod-sticks-heads/20477-need-tripod-but-dont-want-break-bank.html)

Donie Kelly January 27th, 2004 07:14 PM

Need a tripod but don't want to break the bank

Hi all

I was looking at this tripod on ebay and was wondering if any of you have opinions. Here is the url

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2981872709&category=30094&rd=1

The problem I have with existing "fluid head" tripod is that I think it would appreciate a heavier camera than the xl1s. What happens on pans is that it stutters and it's very difficult to pan smoothly. You can forget about moving up and down without yerks. Is it my technique?

What is also a problem is the fact that the xl1s tends to be fron heavy and I have to tighten the up/down level so that the camera doesn't tip forward on its own. This is very annoying for a steady shot as you start to see the camera droop in the viewfinder.

Obviously, I have a crap tripod so please enlighten me. What am I looking for.... ???

Ken Tanaka January 27th, 2004 08:32 PM

Browse through this section of the forum; it's literally filled with similar q&a threads.

Bogen and Libec are two popular brands in the low-to-mid-range of tripods and heads. As simple as tripods and heads may seem, reliable, smooth rigs are relatively expensive to manufacture.

Nathan Gifford January 28th, 2004 12:09 PM

Look at the Libecs, after that the Bogens.

Richard Lewis January 28th, 2004 05:07 PM

Donie,

That tripod looks a bit inadequate for a camera of that size.

Try looking up Manfrotto 525 legs with a 503 or 501 head.

Donie Kelly January 28th, 2004 09:10 PM

Is the head more important?

Hi all

Thanks for the advice but I already have a pretty good tripod. I will look up the name later but I'm wondering if it's the head that makes the most difference. The one I have is crap and doesn't allow smooth movement at all.

How about I put a 501 head on my tripod? Is the fitting universal. I think the tripod is a Manfrotto. Will that make a difference?

What's the difference between the 501 and 503 head. They look indentical?

Thanks for the help
Donie

Mark Williams January 29th, 2004 05:58 PM

I believe the 503 is a true fluid head (more expensive) and the 501 which is the one I have is some type of teflon pad system (cheaper).

Regards,

Mark

Donie Kelly January 29th, 2004 06:27 PM

My tripod

Hi all

My tripod is a Manfrotto #200. I was looking at it and I'm not sure whethere the 501 head will fit on it or not. Does anybody have any idea if it will work or not?

Donie

Mike Rehmus January 29th, 2004 09:54 PM

Almost all tripod heads will fit since there are only two standard threads, 1/4 and 3/8 inch. Unless you have one of the ball-bottom heads. Even those usually allow you to remove the ball and mount it flat to the tripod. Assuming the tripod is flat on top to start with.

Ask Bogen.

You will never be happy with anything but a true fluid head if you are at all critical about your camera moves.

Richard Lewis January 30th, 2004 10:22 AM

There are a few differences with the 503 and the 501.

check out www.b-hague.co.uk they tell you the differences.

Both can be mounted on a bowl.

Richard Lewis January 30th, 2004 10:23 AM

ball*

Donie Kelly January 30th, 2004 10:37 AM

Woooo... expensive. €600+ for the 503 head with tripod.

I think I better stop doing pans and tilts ;)

Thanks for the help guys. I now know what I have on my wish list...

Donie

Nathan Gifford January 30th, 2004 11:20 AM

Try looking at the Libecs, they are cheaper. They are not as good as the Bogens but they have a good reputation on this board.

Having a ball leveler with your tripod is certainly nice. It really speeds up leveling your camera and once you have one you won't go back.

Donie Kelly January 30th, 2004 05:50 PM

Hi Nathan

I'm not too long as this game and I supspect that a Libec is a slang for some manafacturer as I can't find it on google. Can you enlighten me?

donie

Richard Lewis January 30th, 2004 06:02 PM

Try www.cke.co.uk for the Libec line.

Don't know why you couldn't find Libec, it’s a manufacturer, not slang.

In my opinion, the cheaper ones are a bit crappy, but check them out.

Donie Kelly January 30th, 2004 06:07 PM

silly me

Ok, silly me, I was searching for "Libecs" and not "Libec". I should have copped that one...

Thanks for the help. I really appreciate it.
Donie