DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Tripod Sticks & Heads (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/tripod-sticks-heads/)
-   -   Miller DS10 is awesome (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/tripod-sticks-heads/26279-miller-ds10-awesome.html)

Kent Fraser January 20th, 2004 03:25 PM

Miller Solo DV (DS-10 head)

I'm so pleased with this pod. The pictures and write up available on this pod simply don't do it justice. I was a bit hesitant to go with the Solo instead of the aluminum legs and spreader. There's no place to check it out in person up here in northern Minnesota. But... there's no buyer's remorse here. Of course it helps when you get a deal on it too... which I did. (Every little bit helps).

Any other Solo users out there?

Kent

Ken Tanaka January 20th, 2004 05:18 PM

Hey, glad to hear you received it and that you're pleased with it! I'm sure it will serve you very well for many years, Kent.

Boyd Ostroff January 20th, 2004 07:12 PM

I'm sure the fiber legs are terrific. However, since I was stretching my budget already I opted for the aluminum legs on my DS-5. I am also without remorse :-) IIRC, the weight difference between the fiber and aluminum versions was not all that great.

Kent Fraser January 20th, 2004 10:59 PM

You're right about the weight difference. The Solo goes pretty compact though and you can set 8 or 9 inches off the ground for some very smooth low angle shots. That opens up some creative possibilities... or at least makes them easier.

I understand the budget thing. Somewhere else will be leaner because of my tripod purchase. I considered DS-5 system/head that you got too (along with the DS-10 and alum. legs). It was a tough call which way to go (more money for the solo). I appreciate Ken's advice and encouragement about these tripods. It really is an investment that will outlive our present cameras. I agree, neither of us are disapointed.

Kent

Bobby Abernathy May 20th, 2004 12:47 PM

Miller DS10 is awesome

This is my first experience using a real tripod and head and man am I impressed. For so long I've had a $3000+ camera (XL1s) on a $50 tripod which is pathetic. I just started trying out the DS10 a couple of days ago and what a difference it makes! I love it! I'm certain there are many more good tripods out there, but I just took a chance on the Miller as there aren't many places to try out gear in D/FW (that I know of). This is my work gear, but from what I've learned from this tripod, I hope to by the DS5 for my own GL2. They're not cheap, but well worth the money. Just wanted to chime in and say this is cool!

Boyd Ostroff May 20th, 2004 01:02 PM

Quite an upgrade, huh? :-) I have a DS-5 which I love and I'm sure you won't be disappointed with it. And my frame of reference is not in comparison to a $50 tripod, but to a $300 Manfrotto. The Miller is in an entirely different league. The difference becomes quite dramatic when you try shooting things at max telephoto.

Bobby Abernathy May 20th, 2004 01:08 PM

$300 Manfrotto, huh? I considered one of those for myself, too. But after your comments, I think I might have a hard time going from the Miller to the Manfrotto, despite the differences in cameras. Obviously the price is a pretty large jump, but I'm sure the quality is too. The Miller is definitely treating me well.

Ken Tanaka May 20th, 2004 11:46 PM

Next to cameras, no accessory tends to occupy as much research energy as tripods and heads.

Miller makes very good equipment. I have a DS-10 and like it very much. Despite my subsequent purchase of a Sachtler and Vinten I can't bring myself to put my Miller up for sale. It's that kind of equipment.

Yes, when you make the jump from the Bogen/Manfrotto gear the trip can seem very steep, financially. But console yourself in the realization that a really good tripod and head will probably long outlive your current camera...and probably its next two successors.

Rob Easler May 21st, 2004 09:24 AM

Ken, if you do decide to sell the Miller, contact me. I'm local so it would be a good transaction for us both. No shipping. I've been thinking about a new tripod but haven't gotten myself to pull the trigger yet.

Steve Sawtelle May 27th, 2004 01:22 AM

Tripod Options for Miller DS10?

I plan to purchase a Miller DS10 head soon; however, I'm unsure which tripod is the best fit for me. I shoot mostly home video (including the usual assortment of kids sporting events, school activities, etc.). Miller offers 1-Stage and 2-Stage tripods - does the 2-Stage version offer benefits I'm likely to use for the extra $300 investment? Are there better alternatives to the Miller tripod in the same price range?

tia

Steve

Steve Sawtelle May 27th, 2004 04:39 AM

Miller DS10 Tripod

Bobby,

Did you go with the 1-Stage, 2-Stage or Carbon Fiber Miller tripod with your DS10 head? Any regrets?

Steve

Evan Fisher September 17th, 2004 08:22 PM

Miller DS-10

Everywhere I look and everyone I speak to is recommending the Miller
DS-10 Tripod and head to me for my Canon XL2. Everywhere I look, to buy one brand new is beyond my budget. (I know it's worth the investment)

Does anyone have any ideas of good used equipment stores in LA or some good resources (other than here) for used equipment on the net. I'm watch ing the classifieds on here, but none for sale.

Thanks.

Evan

Nick Hiltgen October 3rd, 2004 12:52 AM

There's a place in glendale called BCS that might be something to check out. I believ ethey sell and rent old studio equipment maybe they have something for you.

Allen Mitts October 3rd, 2004 01:26 AM

Have you tried Transylvania Film / TV? They are located at:
121 N. Victory Blvd., Burbank
Phone (818)295-6972
Web Site: http://www.transfilm.com/

Hope this helps...

Allen

Evan Fisher October 3rd, 2004 02:18 PM

Thanks for your help.