DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Tripod Sticks & Heads (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/tripod-sticks-heads/)
-   -   Trying to choose a tripod is driving me crazy! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/tripod-sticks-heads/33701-trying-choose-tripod-driving-me-crazy.html)

Hart Boyd October 24th, 2004 12:08 PM

Ken,

Very much interested in your review as I have narrowed my choices to the three in your photo and it might help in the deciding factor.

Ken Tanaka October 24th, 2004 12:14 PM

Here. Probably November/December.

Valeriu Campan October 25th, 2004 02:15 AM

I saw this one.
Less than $300?!

Ben Chiu October 26th, 2004 04:22 PM

Sunpak Video M

<<<-- Originally posted by Valeriu Campan : I saw this one.
Less than $300?! -->>>

It "looks" like a nice tripod, but as far as I can tell, it only has fluid dampening on the pan axis.

Valeriu Campan October 26th, 2004 05:18 PM

They say it has pan & tilt adjustments, but from tho photos I cannot see any drag controls: only vertical and horizontal locks. I am still puzzled. Did any body saw or used this one?

Valeriu Campan October 26th, 2004 05:22 PM

Re: Sunpak Video M

They say it has pan & tilt adjustments, but from tho photos I cannot see any drag controls: only vertical and horizontal locks. I am still puzzled. Did any body saw or used this one?

Ben Chiu October 26th, 2004 06:41 PM

Re: Re: Sunpak Video M

<<<-- Originally posted by Valeriu Campan : They say it has pan & tilt adjustments, but from tho photos I cannot see any drag controls: only vertical and horizontal locks. I am still puzzled. Did any body saw or used this one? -->>>

From Sunpak website:

"Ultra-smooth all-metal fluid-filled head for precise panning control with no backlash"

I didn't see any reference to fluid dampen tilt.

Ken Tanaka October 26th, 2004 07:45 PM

I have no experience with the Sunpak tripods and heads. They are not a name associated with video equipment...more with photo equipment.

I can say definitively that there are no real deals on good tripods and heads. Ultimately, you get only what you pay for. The best rigs are very well engineered to withstand heavy usage and wide environmental conditions. As a result, they're costly even on the used market.

That aside, this might be just fine for you. If you're a hobbyist, let's be honest; chances are that the rig will spend most of its life in the closet. You may not need anything more.

Pat Chaney October 26th, 2004 07:54 PM

Yes, I believe that Sunpak are best known for flashguns. At least to me they are, although I've never owned one myself.

Besides, does anyone even make a head with fluid damping only on the pan axis? That doesn't make much sense to me.

Tim Le October 26th, 2004 10:29 PM

Hello all,

This Sunpak tripod is most likely a re-badged Libec tripod (probably the LS-35). You can see their product line here: http://www.libecusa.com/index.htm

I'm not too sure about the Libec name, although they do make heads as expensive as $4500. I have tried their low ends heads like this one at a store and wasn't very impressed. It didn't feel well made and it was about as smooth as a $50 Velbon. This is in my opinion of course.

Hart Boyd November 12th, 2004 07:57 AM

Ken,

How is your review coming? It is decision time for me and I have narrowed my selection to the three in your review and was looking for anything that puts one on top of the others. Any hints you can share?

Thanks

Tony Hall November 12th, 2004 10:09 AM

I've been looking at the Vision 3 heads and was wondering how one goes about picking the right spring for their camera.

First, the springs come in a variety from about 2 to 20 lbs. in increments of about 2 lbs. First of all, do you go by the overall weight of your camera? Should you put the thing on a scale?

Next, since you're probably not going to find a spring to match the exact weight of your camera, should you err on the light side or the heavy side? About how "off" can you be before the head doesn't work properly?

Ken Tanaka November 12th, 2004 11:06 AM

Hart: Slower than expected. Being retired turns out to be hard work. For the time being if you have specific questions on these three rigs please feel free to ask here.

Tony: B&H has a reference chart for selecting Vision 3 springs. Go to the product's page and look for the link. The springs for a GL2/1 and an XL1 are only one number apart. So a mistake would not be dramatic. I've used the XL1 spring with the GL2 with little apparent consequence.

Tim Borek November 12th, 2004 12:32 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Tim N Le : Hello all,

This Sunpak tripod is most likely a re-badged Libec tripod (probably the LS-35). You can see their product line here: http://www.libecusa.com/index.htm

I'm not too sure about the Libec name, although they do make heads as expensive as $4500. I have tried their low ends heads like this one at a store and wasn't very impressed. It didn't feel well made and it was about as smooth as a $50 Velbon. This is in my opinion of course. -->>>
I think you're right, only an LS-22 tripod with H35 head. I believe Bescor uses these same legs on their TH-650, which lists for only $251. That's just me guess.

Hart Boyd November 12th, 2004 06:12 PM

Ken: Thanks for the offer on questions. I don't want to detract from your review in any way but since you apparently had the opportunity to use all three, what do you use and why?