DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Tripod Sticks & Heads (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/tripod-sticks-heads/)
-   -   Libec Tripods (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/tripod-sticks-heads/3788-libec-tripods.html)

Adrian Douglas September 20th, 2002 08:04 AM

Libec Tripods

Has anyone heard of them? Are they any good? The specs look good (fluid not friction), the price is good (<US$1000). Anyone used one?

Chris Hurd September 20th, 2002 08:08 AM

We've got a few posts about Libecs still lurking in other forums; I'll try to find 'em and import them in here.

John Locke September 22nd, 2002 01:56 AM

Thanks, Chris. Adrian had posted that question for me while I was at his place this weekend. I had gone to a video store in Tokyo just before heading out to Adrian's and had found all sorts of goodies there (the JVC/Victor deck, the cheap DSR-11s, etc. mentioned in another thread).

I had never heard of a Libec before, but it seemed to handle nicely. And the selling price for legs and head is only 62,000 Yen which is around USD500 or so. Just wondering how it rates compared to others.

FYI - the particular model I checked out was the LS-35DV which consists of the H35DV head and T68BR legs.

Mike Rehmus September 26th, 2002 05:34 PM

I have their LS-20 model that cost $184 U.S. from B&H. It is a nice, light tripod with a bowl mount so it can quickly be leveled.

The head is counterbalanced but the action could be smoother. I am comparing it against an old Miller Model 50 head I own that is incredibly smooth. So the comparison may be unfair.

Daniel Trout October 24th, 2002 12:47 PM

Libec LS-20

I got a Libec LS-20 a few months back, (My old Bogen 3046/3063 is getting worn out. I bought it used, and lord knows how old it was then!) All in all, it's a nice tripod. I ended up sending it back because my XL1 was a LITTLE too much for it to handle effectively, and the pan and tilt weren't as smooth as I'd like.

I would recommend it, however for smaller cameras like the GL1 and such, but my plan is to go with a bigger, (and consequently more expensive,) Libec LS 35 or 50 when I get around to replacing the ol' reliable Bogen.

I've used the >$1000 Libec's before with other camera's, (a Sony UVW100,) and was really impressed with it's performance.

Other than that, I was out at NAB a couple years back and tried out just about every tripod I could that had an XL1 mounted to it, (just to see how it would handle the Canon's "unique" weight distribution,) and out of all of them that I tried there, (Miller, Sactler, Vinten, Bogen/Manfrotto, Matthews/Libec,) the three that realy impressed me were the Matthews/Libec, Bogen, and Vinten(duh!)

The Miller and the Sactler, while being good tripods, I just couldn't see any differences there between the Libec or the Bogen as far as price/performance.

Yeah the Miller and the Sactler were really nice, but not nice enough to justify the price difference to these eyes.

Mind you, I am aware that I was under VERY controlled, VERY optimal conditions, and I may have felt differently if I was out in 40 or 120 degree weather. But for general shooting, I think the Libecs are probably the best bang for your buck.

Hope that helps!

We're all in this together!

Dan