In the search for a decent tripod with smooth panning E-Image 2-Stage Aluminum Tripo at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads

Old July 1st, 2022, 08:35 PM   #1
Regular Crew

In the search for a decent tripod with smooth panning E-Image 2-Stage Aluminum Tripo

I bought/used various tripods including my Manfrotto, never pleased with them when videoing. I purchased a E-Image 2-Stage Aluminum Tripod with GH06 Head. The panning is really smooth, the head is balanced, prevents your camera from tilting forward and backwards out of control. Anyways, l hope this helps someone if they has the same problem as me.
Jeff Wisener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2022, 08:08 PM   #2
New Boot

Re: In the search for a decent tripod with smooth panning E-Image 2-Stage Aluminum T

On a different video only oriented forum with pretty serious videographers the Manfrotto name doesn't get much respect anymore, if it ever did. Personally I keep seeing a lot of "but" observations mentioned in reviews of their heads sold for video.
I also chose the E-Image GH06 head one year ago and it's a treat. It's on top of the 2 stage carbon fiber legs, sold together as a kit: EC06C2.
One of the accessories I appreciate having is an inexpensive aftermarket shutter & zoom control I mount on the pan arm. With all of that, now if I get a jagged camera motion, it's because of me, not the gear.
Charlie Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2023, 02:06 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Re: In the search for a decent tripod with smooth panning E-Image 2-Stage Aluminum T

Good idea on the attachment you suggested. Since this post l bought a second E-Image tripod, love them. Here's my entire camera rig set up

Jeff Wisener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2023, 08:21 AM   #4
Vortex Media

Holy crap, what an awful video. The blind leading the blind. Not only is that tripod totally inappropriate for wildlife due to the time it takes to set it up, it is also not capable of handling a rig that big and heavy. Look at the micro jitters on the surfing shot -- which is a totally different problem that smooth panning and tilting. If the tripod and head could handle the load, then the iamge would be smooth and rock steady, which it is clearly not. The ironic thing is there's no reason to have a camera rig that is that big and heavy for wildlife.

My favorite part of the video, and the point where it is perfectly clear she has no clue about how to shoot video, comes at 2:20 . . .

"As you can see, if you push backward or forward it will automatically return to horizontal".

That is exactly the opposite of what you want the head to do. You want the head to stay right where you point it with no drifting or movement. Not a micrometer. That is the whole point of having a counterbalance control. Oh, and where is all the example wildlife footage that this rig is supposed to be so great at shooting? No examples of smooth movement with nice starts and stops while panning and tilting simultaneously? You'd think there would be lots of b-roll to show how great it is.

To post a video like this does a disservice to people who may think it provides good advice.

Last edited by Doug Jensen; February 4th, 2023 at 11:15 AM.
Doug Jensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2023, 03:42 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
"As you can see, if you push backward or forward it will automatically return to horizontal".
So will a three day old corpse. As for :

Quote:
"out of control"
yep, it sure is.

I really thought all this stuff was done and dusted a decade ago. Obviously not gone*** but still forgotten.

Please, boys and girls, DO NOT DO THIS AT HOME!

CS

*** I refer of course to the mega threads and reviews on this subject that sprinkled this forum between 2008 and about 2014. They're lurking in the dungeons here somewhere, 'cos I put a good chunk of them there myself. Maybe time for someone to reserect them.
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2023, 07:47 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Back in 2021 I bought an E-Image GH06/carbon fiber tripod kit to replace a worn out Sachtler FSB6/Speedlock 75 kit that was not worth repairing. The E-Image was good for the price but not as good as my Sachtler. Sold the E-Image a few months ago and bought a Sachtler Aktiv8/Flowtech 75 kit. No regrets, works as advertised.

Regarding balancing your camera rig on a tripod, this video shows how and uses a GH06 in the demonstration.

Enjoy
W. Bill Magac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2023, 10:44 PM   #7
Vortex Media

Now, that is a very good video from ProAV. Well done.
Old February 24th, 2023, 01:10 PM   #8
New Boot

Hi!
I've got E-Image GH10 head with GC752 tripod (EG10C2 System) A Mono-Lock feature allows for quick height adjustments of both stages with one twist.
And I've got Manfrotto 519 head with Vinten PT525 legs.
Both heads are smooth, especially Manfrotto one.
My typical camera rig weghts 5,5 kg
Anton Tokman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2023, 09:41 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Tokman View Post
Hi!
I've got E-Image GH10 head with GC752 tripod (EG10C2 System) A Mono-Lock feature allows for quick height adjustments of both stages with one twist.
My typical camera rig weghts 5,5 kg
The GH10 is a 100mm head and the GC752 is a 75mm tripod. Are you sure this is the combo you are using?
W. Bill Magac is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads