DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Tripod Sticks & Heads (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/tripod-sticks-heads/)
-   -   Support Setup for XL-H1 and Canon EF macro lenses (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/tripod-sticks-heads/89472-support-setup-xl-h1-canon-ef-macro-lenses.html)

Yeo Wee Han March 20th, 2007 11:32 PM

Support Setup for XL-H1 and Canon EF macro lenses

Hi everyone,

Am getting the XL-H1 soon and will be doing mainly macro stuff with the Canon 180 macro and the MPE-65 thus I need a setup with excellent vibration dampening. With a budget of about USD1k to 1.5k, what would you all rec?

I am actually considering a Gitzo 1410 Studex as it will allow me to get down way low to the ground as compared to normal video tripods. If I do get this set of legs, what head is rec to go with it? I need continuous counterblance and really smooth pans and tilts.

I was looking at the Vinten Pro 5D-C and the Libec LS-60...would those be ok other than the legs not going low enough.

Thank alot in advance.

Cheers

WeeHan

Yeo Wee Han March 25th, 2007 11:52 PM

I have narrowed my choice to either (for legs) a Miller Solo VJ or a Gitzo 1548 or 1410. Any one have tried both and compared? I have Gitzos for my photography and they have withstood some torture for the many years.

As for the head, I would like one that is 75mm bowl (100mm is just way out of budget now) and with variable counterbalance would be good to have. Payload would be about 15kg and budget is about 600-800 USD. Any Vintens or Millers to recommend?

Cheers

WeeHan

Yeo Wee Han March 29th, 2007 09:30 AM

Hmmm...just trying my luck again. Anyone have opinions on the Vinten Vision 3 or 6? I have read through the postings but none have really commented on whether the use of springs to act as a method of counterbalance in the 3 is an issue at all....I would love opinions on that. If that proves to be a problem, I will most prob for a Vision 6 head.

As for the legs, more or last set on a Gitzo 1500 series...way solid. Either that or a Miller Solo (quote number 1505)

Pls advise.

Cheers

WeeHan

Peter Ralph March 30th, 2007 02:59 PM

the vision 3 works well with the XLH1 -

Yeo Wee Han April 2nd, 2007 09:20 AM

Thanks alot Peter. I may be leaning towards the Vision 6 for the variable counterbalance. That said, I appreciate your confirmation that the Vision 3 is good for the intended camera.

Cheers

WeeHan

Peter Ralph April 6th, 2007 11:45 AM

good choice WeeHan. I would go with the Vison 6 for the XLH1 if budget allows - especially shooting macro.

The vision 3 was fine for me until last week when I switched to using a canon TA-100 QR - a truly sweet product. Only problem is that the camera plate does not slide into the tripod plate like the bogen QRs - it clicks in. Before if I added a light or another battery it was easy to tweak balance - simply by sliding the camera back and forth. Not with the TA-100. So far it has not been a big problem.

Yeo Wee Han April 15th, 2007 08:01 PM

Thanks Peter. Im going for the Vision 6 as I have tried the 8 and have been immensely impressed. And as you have mentioned, a solid head is always a pleasure (more of a need actually) for macro work.

Thanks once again.

Cheers

WeeHan