DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Tripod Sticks & Heads (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/tripod-sticks-heads/)
-   -   Tripod recommendations (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/tripod-sticks-heads/90290-tripod-recommendations.html)

Margus Lillemagi March 30th, 2007 05:15 AM

Tripod recommendations

Hi,

I am shooting SD stock video footage with a VX2100 and looking for good firm tripod for this camera in order to avoid any shaking. Currently I am using a Manfrotto's light (not very light) tripod and can notice little shaking. Any recommendation on a video head is welcome too. However, I still need to carry them while shooting the wild nature.

Margus

Jeff Wilson April 13th, 2007 07:41 AM

I use the Libec T58 with H37 head, and I like it. I don't ever notice any probelms with shaking on my DSR 250, but it might be a larger tripod than you are looking for.

Tom Hardwick April 17th, 2007 09:44 AM

Manfrotto 525 pins coupled with the 503 head. A combination made in heaven for the VX/FX weight of camcorder. Beware the 501 head - it looks very much the same and is a lot cheaper - for good reason.

tom.

Don Bloom April 17th, 2007 01:10 PM

I agree the 515 or 525 legs are excellant and if you need something to take you up higher then look at the 3246 or 3046-not ball head but center column-with the column fully raised and the leg extensions fully out you can get close to 10 feet. Not as stabile as one might want though with the center column all the way up but if you need height then you got it!
Don

Mike Beckett April 17th, 2007 01:51 PM

For Libecs, I found the T-37 (H-37 head) had too 'stiff' a counterbalance for my VX2100, I ended up fighting the non-adjustable spring at any significant level of tilt. I got a H-22 (as part of the TH-950DV package at around $400)

See thread here: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=84248

I'd love a Vinten or Sachtler or similar, but that will take a bit more saving. I'm particularly taken by the idea of the high resistance (not sure what the proper name is) for the Vinten head, where small adjustments at high zooms don't produce a lot of shake, and also allowing whip pans. But the relatively cheap Libec will do me fine until I can spend as many $ as the camera itself cost.

Jeff Emery April 17th, 2007 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Hardwick (Post 661898)
Beware the 501 head - it looks very much the same and is a lot cheaper - for good reason.

tom.

I'm curious as to what you mean by "for good reason".

I use a couple of 501's now that I mount VX2100's on. I've never really noticed any adverse effects as a result of using them. Typically, mine stay stationary however with an occasional pan. And, I have never tried the 503's so I can't make a personal comparison.

Any information you can give for why the 503 would be a better choice over the 501 would be appreciated. Someday I expect to want or need new heads.

Thanks in advance Tom.

Jeff

Grant Harrington April 17th, 2007 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margus Lillemagi (Post 651316)
Hi,

I am shooting SD stock video footage with a VX2100 and looking for good firm tripod for this camera in order to avoid any shaking.

I've got a Promaster SystemPro Mini set of legs, which are lightweight, but very sturdy, and a 701RC2 Manfrotto head. It's been very steady and I use the VX2100 with the 970 (large) battery and it's been very smooth with pans and tilts and stays in place with that weight. I was just filming a speaker today who was a "walker" and was a in a small conference room so I didn't want a wide shot showing the back of the audience's heads, and was able to follow the speaker with great ease and smoothness with this tripod and head. The head was under $130 and the legs were under $70.

Grant

p.s. Shouldn't this be under Support your Local Camera, since my video light request for the VX2100 question was moved to the Photon Management thread. I'm slowly learning the rules of the threads. Ha, ha. :)

Don Bloom April 17th, 2007 09:13 PM

the 503 is more of a fluid head than the 501 still not really a true fluid head but some people swear by the 503. I've used the 501 for years with my small cameras and have never had a major problem with them. Granted it's not as nice as my 516 but if you know the limits of ANY piece of gear and can work within those limits then why not. Not every camera is the right one for every job but we make it work. Some audio gear is better suited for cetain things than others but we make it work-same for heads. Know it, love it, make it work.

Don

Tom Hardwick April 18th, 2007 01:52 AM

Don's right, Jeff. If you're familliar with a piece of kit and it works well for you then indeed there's no need to upgrade to the next level. But if you're coming at tripod heads cold, then the 503 is quite different in feel than the 501, and I suspect its more complex innards avoid the very slight 'bounce back' at the end of pans that 501 owners report.

I'm firmly of the opinion that upgrades should be leap-frog moves. In other words don't upgrade from the VX2100 to the PD170, leap to the Z1. If you have a Manfrotto 128 head, leapfrog the 501 and get the 503. If you're after a wide-angle lens for your DSLR, get a 20 mm rather than the milder 28 mm, and so on.

tom.

Jim Andrada April 20th, 2007 11:19 PM

Following the leap frog approach, where would you go if you wanted to move up from a 501? Or would the move to a 503 be worth it? I have noticed a bit of bounce back at the end. So far I can live with it and/or keep it under control by paying enough attention and realizing it wants to bounce back and being ready for it.

Margus Lillemagi April 23rd, 2007 11:17 AM

Many thanks for recommendations! During the Easter holydays I realised that the problem was in the head not in the tripod. Many of you recommended Manfrotto 501 or 503. I have been considering about those some time and I think 501 would meet my requirements. The tripod I have is Manfrotto 055PROB. I will find and add some good spikes and hope that this will improve the firmness as well.

Regards,
Margus

Timothy Harry April 24th, 2007 07:25 AM

I have 3 501's and could not be any happier with my tripod for the money I 've spent. Right now I am doing a 3 camera shoot for a local church revival (8 days, 10 services) My camera guys love the tripods, and I love the fact that with a 500 dollar tripod, I can feel comfortable leaving it set up in the church, something that I am not quite sure I would do with a 503 or 516. I dont think you will be disappointed with your choice.