DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Under Water, Over Land (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/under-water-over-land/)
-   -   Finding the subject with a long telephoto lens (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/under-water-over-land/136666-finding-subject-long-telephoto-lens.html)

Gilles Debord October 29th, 2008 02:40 AM

Hi

All the Red or green dot works well, like "Aimpoint" or others, you have to mount it on the accesory shoe

Steve Siegel October 31st, 2008 02:37 PM

Hi Ofer,

It's an old-fashioned 4X rifle scope with cross hairs, the kind hunters use. I have it mounted next to the XLH1 on a piece of plywood (which is fitted with a standard 1/4" screw camera mount for the XLH1). The whole thing is mounted on a tripod. Cumbersome and very heavy but it works.

Ofer Levy October 31st, 2008 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Siegel (Post 958192)
Hi Ofer,

It's an old-fashioned 4X rifle scope with cross hairs, the kind hunters use. I have it mounted next to the XLH1 on a piece of plywood (which is fitted with a standard 1/4" screw camera mount for the XLH1). The whole thing is mounted on a tripod. Cumbersome and very heavy but it works.

Thanks Steve!

Just wondering what is the benefit of using this device over a light weight simple monocular that will be mounted by a flexible "leg" on the camera for easy access.
Thanks again Steve !

Steve Siegel November 1st, 2008 03:25 PM

Ofer,
Only two advantages. Stability, and I can mount the monoccular along side of the camcorder instead of on top of it (as with the hot shoe). Easier to shift gaze from the monocular for subject finding, and the viewfinder for focusing. (As you know, the XLH-1) with long telephoto lenses does not allow auto focus.)

Martin Catt November 1st, 2008 04:25 PM

When I have the 300mm Nikkor mounted on the XL2 (effective f/l 2800mm), I use a non-magnified holographic pistol sight mounted on the accessory shoe for initial aiming. The ring-and-dot reticle matches the field of view almost perfectly. I've used the sight for following dragonflies in flight with varying degrees of success. No way to do it through the viewfinder.

Martin

Dale Guthormsen November 7th, 2008 11:54 AM

sights

Martin,

I looked up halographic sights and they seemed rather small, perhaps it is the picture makes it look that way.

I bought a weaver mount shoe for 25 dollars or so

Photosolve Home > Products > Xtend-a-Sight and a laser dot scope,

non magnafied for 39 dollars at wal mart.

It works perfectly once you have it sighted in where you want it.

I use it on my xl2 with the 400 mm and have no problem finding anything.

As with all scopes on top or the side you will have paralax issues to some degree.

If it is on the side and the same height of the lens you only have horizontal paralax to deal with, but if it is higher as well then the paralax is on both axis'. Not a problem until you have to make a quick change in the distance of your subjects. Of course you probably get used to placement and instinct shoot at that point, eh?

The sight is an essential aid in big lenses!!! particularly with a small subject!!!

Mike Sims January 1st, 2009 01:33 PM

A couple of thoughts. If you use a rifle scope try mounting it backwards. You’ll get eye relief closer to that of your viewfinder’s and a wider field of view. My favorite technique involves the use of a green diode laser pointer. I’m starting a new thread on that subject.