DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Under Water, Over Land (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/under-water-over-land/)
-   -   Cable Cam Ski Shots. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/under-water-over-land/139017-cable-cam-ski-shots.html)

Craig Stay December 5th, 2008 08:48 AM

Cable Cam Ski Shots.

Here is some test shots of using my new cable cam set up. Some tweaking still needed but i am excited because it has definite potental.

Cable Cam Test 2 on Vimeo

Jim Cancil December 5th, 2008 09:49 AM

Hmmmmm ... interesting concept. I might be able to rig something similar in the shallow water I play in ..but I'd need about 150meters. ...but Craig, you gotta get a faster take-up fishing reel. You're working you azz off trying to keep up!

I'd pick heavy winch to lay some serious tension on the cable and then change it to something smooth to cut out/lessen the trolley wheel noise. ...or, maybe kill the camera audio and set up a digital recorder near the ramps ..skis and snowboards make some cool sounds themselves.

I'd like to see what more you get out of it... Thanks.

j i m

Craig Stay December 5th, 2008 10:54 AM

I am planning on running a longer cable with a stronger winch so i got rid of some of the bounce. as well as weight the bottom of the carage. I will drop the audio off as most of my stuff is edited to music and audio is just thrown away anyways.

Jim Cancil December 6th, 2008 03:05 PM

You're going to run into one of those classic dilemmas: too much ballast on too long a cable = granny boobs. I rigged 12v, 4-wheeler winch to test kite lines (about 500lb loads) to failure. (makes a helluva Crack!)

You could probably do much the same with a simple hand winch that pull boats up on trailers. ..and how about letting the same gravity the boarders use to run your cam? I can't imagine you needing to film going up the hill, eh? You could create a simple drag system to control the speed. Looks like fun.

Jim

Charles Papert December 7th, 2008 01:24 PM

You might experiment with lightweight outriggers (two or three foot long) with small weights at the end to add some inertia to the camera, which might help smooth things out. Attach them to the bottom to increase their effect.

Craig Stay December 7th, 2008 03:08 PM

I am using gravity to pull the cam down i use the fishing reel just to hold it back from crashing into the tree :p i am defiantly gona experiment with outriggers. I am also hoping to get some bigger cable that can hold more that 800 lbs of tension get the next size up is 3000 then i will use a come along instead of a tie down strap to get it alot tighter. Then hopefully i can get up to 400 feet of length or so.

Jonathan Shaw December 7th, 2008 03:59 PM

Hey Craig,

Try and download some Quiksilver podcasts from last year I think it was 'dick's ditch'. They shot most of from a cable cam. It may be good to get some ideas.

Jon

Robert Rogoz December 10th, 2008 02:58 PM

Craig, I worked on a few ski shots. If you are using GL2 consider rigging an extended monopod with fisheye adopter (aka death lens) to your back. Then ski parallel to your filming subject (camera should be at 90 degrees to the direction you travel). Most likely you'll need a monitor. You can simply duct tape or use ring clamps to fix monopod to the internal frame of the pack.

Craig Stay December 10th, 2008 04:32 PM

I will post up some of my follow cam stuff i am most likely going to get one of those Fly cam 3000 i think they are called for doing that because the shots are terrable shakey. Even with the fisheye

Trevor Troup December 13th, 2008 10:25 AM

cable cam

check out a ski movie called " teddybear crisis" they do an awesome cablecam set up...

Craig Stay December 13th, 2008 05:28 PM

poor Boys is the shit. have you seen reasons?