DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Under Water, Over Land (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/under-water-over-land/)
-   -   Pied Kingfisher hovering, EX3, slow motion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/under-water-over-land/237765-pied-kingfisher-hovering-ex3-slow-motion.html)

Annie Haycock July 17th, 2009 01:47 AM

Ofer - I watched the clip a few days ago, but got interrupted before commenting on how good it is. If only other kingfishers (and other species) would hover for long enough to find them in the viewfinder and get adequate footage. I've photographed them with a stills camera but not yet had the opportunity for video. Watching birds hover in slow motion is quite something - seeing the intricacies of movement that you can't see in real time.

Ofer Levy July 17th, 2009 02:00 AM

Thanks Annie, I am currently working on a documentary featuring the ten Kingfisher species of Australia. It is going to be a long journey which will probably take me 2-3 years to complete but for me it's a dream come true to be able to film them. I am sure I will post quite a few clips in the coming few months...(-:

Annie Haycock July 17th, 2009 04:09 AM

That is quite a project. Good luck with it.

Caleb Royer July 23rd, 2009 09:41 PM

What tripod and head did you use with the 600mm lens?

Ofer Levy July 24th, 2009 03:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caleb Royer (Post 1175818)
What tripod and head did you use with the 600mm lens?

Miller Solo CF tripod, Miller Arrow 25 fluid head.

Jerry Merrell July 24th, 2009 04:05 PM

Ofer,

Looking forward to seeing your documentary on these kingfishers. This footage is really excellent - it provides an appreciation of these birds that is impossible with still footage.

Regards,

Jerry

Jonathan Ramsey July 30th, 2009 09:52 AM

wings and eye

Ofer,

Stellar! Exceptional skill in finding the focus on those shots. And, I might add, as to how the wings appear online -- they are right-on. We had that discussion about the bat wings and I don't recall what you shot those at, but for this little bird, you nailed it! Also, I particularly like and appreciate the second angle you grabbed with the bird at 45 degrees off camera line. Hovering birds are too often shot at 90 degrees -- which is fine, but it's become less engaging IMO since it's more common. You got something much more special.

Ramsey

Ofer Levy July 30th, 2009 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonathan Ramsey (Post 1178677)
Ofer,

Stellar! Exceptional skill in finding the focus on those shots. And, I might add, as to how the wings appear online -- they are right-on. We had that discussion about the bat wings and I don't recall what you shot those at, but for this little bird, you nailed it! Also, I particularly like and appreciate the second angle you grabbed with the bird at 45 degrees off camera line. Hovering birds are too often shot at 90 degrees -- which is fine, but it's become less engaging IMO since it's more common. You got something much more special.

Ramsey

Thanks for your comment Jonathan!
This was shot with the Sony PMW EX3 and Nikon Lenses - Nikon 200-400 f4 G VR and Nikon 600 f5.6 ED.
Camera was set to 720 25p at 60 fps, shutter at 180 degrees, -3 gain.
Cheers,
Ofer