DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Under Water, Over Land (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/under-water-over-land/)
-   -   Moorhen Fight (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/under-water-over-land/370134-moorhen-fight.html)

Ofer Levy September 7th, 2009 05:49 AM

Moorhen Fight

Sony PMW EX3, Nikon 200-400 f4 G via Mike Tapa's Nikon G to EX3 adaptor, Flash XDR

Got this a couple of weeks ago over a few sessions. I was busy filming Flying Foxes when I saw these Moorhens fighting like mad. I only saw the actual fight on this occasion so I am pleased I managed to get it.

Critique and comments are welcome,

Video Gallery

Cheers,
Ofer Levy Photography

Brendan Marnell September 7th, 2009 11:02 AM

Looked like the moorhen equivalent of rut rivalry. good illustration of the uncuddly side of nature.

Very serious aggression; more kick-slashing than kick-boxing. Not much plumage detail but the action made up for it. I imagine you will hang on to the original footage until better web delivery comes along.

Steve Phillipps September 7th, 2009 11:48 AM

Just how vital is slomo for wildlife shots eh! Never ever buy a camera for wildlife that can't do at least half speed, that's my view.
That 200-400 always looks gorgeous, have contemplated getting one converted for my Varicam.
Steve

Ofer Levy September 7th, 2009 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brendan Marnell (Post 1323697)
Looked like the moorhen equivalent of rut rivalry. good illustration of the uncuddly side of nature.

Very serious aggression; more kick-slashing than kick-boxing. Not much plumage detail but the action made up for it. I imagine you will hang on to the original footage until better web delivery comes along.

Thanks for the input Steve and Brendon!
Resizing for web really weakens this as the original has lovely detail. Although, as can be expected it is not as detailed as when I shoot 1080p.
Cheers,
Ofer

Mat Thompson September 7th, 2009 02:28 PM

Great sequence !

Caleb Royer September 7th, 2009 06:16 PM

I love the last take-off shot. Was that shot in 60P?

Ofer Levy September 7th, 2009 11:10 PM

Thanks for the kind words guys!
Caleb, yes this was shot in 720 60p, captured to the Flash XDR in I-Frame only, 160 Mb/s and conformed to 25 fps in Cinema Tools as per Steve Phillips excellent suggestion.

Cheers,

Ofer

Dave Tyrer September 8th, 2009 07:23 AM

Excellent footage Ofer...very well captured.

Alan Emery September 8th, 2009 07:43 AM

Hi Ofer,

As usual, excellent work and quick action to capture a rare event. I also use a long telephoto so am always amazed at your tripod work. Both this sequence and the osprey where you are moving at a diagonal from the horizontal are remarkable for smoothness and your ability to stay on target.

Best,
Alan

Ofer Levy September 9th, 2009 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan Emery (Post 1327190)
Hi Ofer,

As usual, excellent work and quick action to capture a rare event. I also use a long telephoto so am always amazed at your tripod work. Both this sequence and the osprey where you are moving at a diagonal from the horizontal are remarkable for smoothness and your ability to stay on target.

Best,
Alan

Thanks for your comments and kind words guys!
Alan, I achieve this smoothness firstly because I use a decent support system - the Miller Solo CF legs and Miller Arrow 25 fluid head, always balance the cmera+lens combo before I start shooting and the last but very important thing is that I never touch the handle with my hand. I attach a rubber band to the handle and only pull it to get the movement. It takes some time to get it right but it is really great as I get smooth movement even with a 600mm lens (which is effectively nearly 3300mm on the EX3.)
Another important factor is getting the subject in the viewfinder with these monster lenses. Please refer to my thread, it works like a dream!!! (-:
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/under-wa...ing-vimeo.html

Hope that helps,
Cheers,
Ofer

Caleb Royer September 9th, 2009 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ofer Levy (Post 1332839)
.....I attach a rubber band to the handle and only pull it to get the movement. It takes some time to get it right but it is really great as I get smooth movement even with a 600mm lens (which is effectively nearly 3300mm on the EX3.).....

Could you please explain the rubber band trick in more detail. What size is the rubber band? How do you attach it to the pan bar? What is your teknique?

Thank you for your help,

Caleb

Ofer Levy September 9th, 2009 09:51 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Caleb Royer (Post 1333746)
Could you please explain the rubber band trick in more detail. What size is the rubber band? How do you attach it to the pan bar? What is your teknique?

Thank you for your help,

Caleb

Hi Caleb,

It's pretty straight forward. I use a big balloon - yes, the kind you see in parties....(-:
I find the rubber to be soft which exerts the tension gradually. I tie one of these to the handle then another one to the first. I use the first one as I assume it eliminates some of the vibration.
See attached photos.
Best thing is to try it as maybe you will find better ways to do this so we can all learn.
Cheers,

Ofer

Caleb Royer September 10th, 2009 07:09 AM

Thanks a lot for the photos. I'll try that when I get some balloons.