DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Under Water, Over Land (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/under-water-over-land/)
-   -   Long-billed Curlew, EX3 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/under-water-over-land/442693-long-billed-curlew-ex3.html)

Steve Phillipps October 3rd, 2009 07:15 AM

With fast panning (eg following action) I found the EX3 horrible, especially when you follow a bird down to land, the background seems to go really jittery. But, others have not seen this problem, you'd need to check it yourself. Other than this I think the EX3 is brilliant, nice viewfinder (you'll wonder how you ever managed with the Canon), easy use of slow motion, good codec, even better with Nano, image from the sensor is really really good, decent dynamic range.
Steve

Dave Tyrer October 6th, 2009 04:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Phillipps (Post 1422168)
The way the cameras work, you'd be losing a lot if you just tried to "get it right in camera". The way to ultimately get the best image is to shoot really flat which can extend the dynamic range by at least 2 stops, then grade to pull out the full potential of the camera. Otherwise you're going to end up with shots that have burnt out highlights and/or crushed blacks and that scream "amateur video" at you.
Steve

Steve

I'm also a newcomer to video and the EX3. Can you recommend any settings please to get the most out of this cam. When you say shoot flat...do you mean with Sony's default settings?

Thanks

Steve Phillipps October 6th, 2009 05:44 AM

Definitely NOT Sony default settings! When cameras are shipped they tend to have nice punchy settings installed that'll give a pleasing image "straight out of the box".
To give best dynamic range you're looking at changing the gamma curve (usually to a "cine" type curve), as well as adjusting knee and other technical stuff! Also you can set the camera to record "illegal" levels of white, typically upto 109%, that need to controlled in post.
Do a search on the forum for EX1 and EX3 profile "recipes", there has been quite a lot of talk about them. I can't suggest anything as I've not used the cameras more than briefly, and can only talk about Varicam and the big Sonys, for which there are specific BBC settings and a lot more control in the menus.
Steve

Alan Craven October 6th, 2009 07:48 AM

Try the BBC approved settings for this camera, at

BBC - R&D - Publications - WHP034 - Addendum 27

Steve Phillipps October 6th, 2009 08:09 AM

Just a word of caution re the BBC settings though, AFAIK they haven't spent that much time with the EX cameras, so don't neccessarily treat the document as gospel as you would with the Planet Earth Varicam settings. Alan Roberts himself will admit that with many of the cameras he's only able to spend a little time assessing them.
Steve

Bo Skelmose October 6th, 2009 11:54 AM

In 25P with shutter - the Sony EX 3 looks completly as all other cameras when panning. I cannot see any difference on the material from my Panasonic HVX2100 and my Sony EX3. With 25P and shutter at 1/50 or 1/60 it will look stuttering....

Steve Phillipps October 6th, 2009 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bo Skelmose (Post 1428621)
In 25P with shutter - the Sony EX 3 looks completly as all other cameras when panning. I cannot see any difference on the material from my Panasonic HVX2100 and my Sony EX3. With 25P and shutter at 1/50 or 1/60 it will look stuttering....

We'll have to agree to disagree there then, it certainly looked different to me. At 25P a 1/50 shutter is the best one to use, and is the standard, and when shot on Varicam etc. it has gentle blur, but not stutter. Any higher shutter speed and you'll get horrible strobing.
And there's no such thing as an HVX2100, do you mean HPX2100 or an HVX200?
Steve

Bo Skelmose October 6th, 2009 02:22 PM

Yes HPX2100 - then.
Maybe I should try a shutter speed below 1/50 on HPX 2100 - it will produce more blur and less stutter.

Dave Tyrer October 12th, 2009 03:40 AM

Steve and Alan thanks for the info and link...that's a great help.

Dave