DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Under Water, Over Land (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/under-water-over-land/)
-   -   Rain Protection - rather than light shower protection (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/under-water-over-land/467428-rain-protection-rather-than-light-shower-protection.html)

John Wallace November 19th, 2009 03:10 AM

J-Rod dual replacement hot-shoe mount plus rubber-band shock mount have now arrived.

Portabrace Rainslicker cover now fits even better and goes on quicker. Addition of sleeve from another cover I have takes care of the onboard mic.

Bang on cue, today I have 4 inches of rainfall and 70mph gusts to go test it in!

- x
j
w

Paul Inglis November 19th, 2009 06:30 AM

Thats great John! I'm still waiting for mine! :( Told you it'd work :)

John Wallace November 19th, 2009 09:32 AM

Just back in the door from 2 1/2 hours shooting floods and raging rivers.

Boy, that was wet and windy - soaked 2 teatowels just drying the UV filter and eyepiece.

The camera?

BONE DRY!

Portabrace RS-EX3 is definitely up to Scottish weather.

Minor niggle: Jeff's shock mount is slightly too small for the shoe and worked itself loose after a while. I was rumbling around a lot though.

Thanks, everyone, for all the advice.

JW

Paul Inglis November 20th, 2009 11:06 AM

There you go! What did I tell you! :) Isle of Man weather is worse than Scottish weather laddie!

My items arrived from Jeff this morning. Yes that Shock mount isn't as snug as I'd like but its miles better than the Rode one that I own. Maybe a spot of blu-tak will solve the problem. The J-Rod Dual Cold Shoe is just the trick!

Glad your camera stayed dry!

John Wallace November 20th, 2009 12:03 PM

"Isle of Man weather is worse than Scottish weather laddie!"

Really?

Even with you guys hiding behind Eire from all that Atlantic unpleasantness?

Glad your gear arrived, finally. IOM postal communications obviously worse that Scottish.

Meant to ask, did you get my PM last weekend? Maybe your server greylisted me.

Irrelevant now - was asking how long you'd been waiting on your J-Rod kit.

JW

Paul Inglis November 21st, 2009 05:45 AM

No didn't get that PM?

The postal service over here is usually pretty good, I think it got held up in the UK :)

The Eire offers no protection!!! Really!!!

Dave Tyrer November 25th, 2009 05:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Wallace (Post 1445070)
After standing out in the rain for several hours filming leaping salmon, I removed my EX3 from my (split new) Kata RC1 "Rain Cover" to find the camera soaked and the inside of the fabric dripping wet.

Maybe the expectation is that folks might shoot a short while in tippling rain, but then get sensible and head indoors.

Then again, common sense tells me that if I'm dry inside my £50 jacket, a £100 camera cover should offer the same protection.

Any similar experiences - or solutions?

JW

I've seen thick polythene sheet used in rainy conditions fixed with gaffer tape - cheap, expendable and guaranteed to keep the rain off.

Paul Inglis November 25th, 2009 05:51 AM

The EX-3 gets rather hot so needs to have some form of ventilation Dave :) Make shifts is what wildlife filmming is all about. The Beeb do it all the time.