DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Under Water, Over Land (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/under-water-over-land/)
-   -   Suggested Lens(es) for 5D MarkII with Aquatica Housing (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/under-water-over-land/479460-suggested-lens-es-5d-markii-aquatica-housing.html)

Josh Hayes May 26th, 2010 04:32 PM

Suggested Lens(es) for 5D MarkII with Aquatica Housing

I have a gig coming up on a Tuna Boat for 45-90 days and I'll be shooting with a 5D Mark II. Though I'm resonably familiar with the 5D MarkII, I'm new to underwater housings and diving, etc... I've done a fair amount of research on sites like BackScatter on things like housing choices, camera choices, etc, and I'm getting diving training, as... but I'm curious what specific lenses people recommend using for this kind of setup?

The underwater filming I'm doing isn't anything dramatic, mostly barely beneath the water showing nets going in, Tuna swimming around, etc... But we have the budget from the client for the housing so we want to use it. If you only had a choice of one or two lenses to take for this general purpose, what would you recommend?

p.s. If it matters, I'll have a Sea by Sea YS- 110 a lighting kit.

Carl Rubin May 28th, 2010 07:17 PM

Go Wide.

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.

Tony Davies-Patrick May 29th, 2010 03:46 PM

The 15mm lens is one of the best lenses for dramatic UW stiills and footage. The 20mm is a good all-round lens, although the 24mm is better if your not able to get tight to your subjects.
If you prefer a zoom lens, then the 16-35mm f/2.8 or 20-35mm are good choices. My favourite for UW is the Canon 17-35mm L f/2.8.
If you intend to add an extra lens and will be using UW lights then add a true macro lens.

Jonathan Shaw May 29th, 2010 07:55 PM

Tokina 11-16 2.8 or the Tokina Fisheye, pretty much the benchmark for underwater shooting

Tony Davies-Patrick May 30th, 2010 06:23 AM

The Tokina 11-16mm is mainly used with the Canon 7D, or other APS-C non-FF cameras like the D300s. This lens will vignette badly full wide on a 5D body and can only be used at the 14mm setting on the zoom to avoid dark corners in the frame.

This video shows the lens on a 5D above water, but even underwater it will still show dark corners at full 11mm.

The 5D Mark II is a full-frame camera so is better matched to full frame wide lenses such as 14mm, 15mm, 18mm, 20mm, 24mm primes or full frame zoom lenses covering those angles.

All these lenses are available in Canon L range, or other mark lenses such as Nikon, Zeiss, via an adapter; or the full-frame Canon EOS bayonet range from Sigma, Tokina and Tamron.

Remember that all the full-frame lenses mentioned are also superb above water, so fill two goals.

Jonathan Shaw May 31st, 2010 06:04 PM

Sorry totally agree, they work great with 7D / D300 no go with 5D.

My mistake,

J