DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Under Water, Over Land (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/under-water-over-land/)
-   -   Need tripod advice (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/under-water-over-land/499810-need-tripod-advice.html)

Vincent Martinez August 20th, 2011 10:43 PM

Need tripod advice

Advice needed.

I'm shooting still and video of wildlife with a Canon and Sony DSLR with telephoto lenses. My largest lens weighs 9 lbs. My most common lens weights about 5.5 lbs. Both bodies weigh about 2 lbs ea.

I've used the Libec H55 and the Manfrotto 503HD head and they work...just okay. I'm not happy with panning. My budget is up to $1000 for a new head. I will stick to using my Gitzo tripod legs.

Anyone have any "real world" experience ??

Robert Turchick August 20th, 2011 11:39 PM

Re: Need tripod advice

I use the Sachtler FSB-6 and love it. I own a 503hdv that has been relegated to static shot duty as it's not even in the same league.

Ronald Jackson August 21st, 2011 12:17 AM

I have the Sachtler as well. Difference between that and the 503 (which I also have) is like the difference between a Merc S type and a Ford Mondeo.

Have a look at Vinten heads though. All three, Manfrotto, Vinten and Sachtler (plus others) are part of the same group.

Ron

Sabyasachi Patra August 21st, 2011 06:03 AM

Sachtler FSB6 will be close to your budget.

Which Gitzo legs are you using? If your Gitzo has a 75mm bowl then the FSB6 should work.

I have the Gitzo 3530 LSV, but didnt feel it was good enough for filming.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Sverker Hahn August 30th, 2011 02:16 AM

I have the Sachtler FSB6 with carbon fibre legs and QuickLock. It is heavy, but I donīt regret buying it.

Vincent Martinez August 30th, 2011 07:42 PM

Thanks for taking the time to reply, I appreciate it.

Chris Soucy September 1st, 2011 03:14 AM

You could also try the unthinkable...................

and post this in the "Tripods, Sticks and Heads" section way up the page, you'd be suprised what can happen up there.

Seems some people there actually know about camera support as a full time job, instead of an aside to their daily activities.

Just a thought.

CS

Robert Turchick September 1st, 2011 10:16 AM

No problem Vincent!

And Wow Chris! Really?

Chris Soucy September 2nd, 2011 12:23 AM

And Wow, Robert..........

Really!

It's amazing the questions that can be answered if you but ask the right person, in the right place.

If you want to ask your local supermarket checkout operator about a breast enhancement surgeon, go ahead.

Else you could ask a pro who deals in nothing else.

Which one would you trust to give a reasoned answer?

Not that I'm insinuating you would need to do such a thing, just a demonstration of asking the right question in the right place of the right person.

This site has such a wealth of informed people available and so much of it is wasted by people going "blinkered" into their own little mini Forum shell as to be a disgrace, quite frankly.

But then, maybe I'm just "old school" and have got the fixed idea that asking my energy supplier to suggest a comunications supplier is probably a bad idea.

Whatever, it was a support question, not relevant to the device itself - why post it here?

But, Wow, well, pretty well sums it all up. Guess I'll butt out then.

CS

Les Wilson September 2nd, 2011 07:45 PM

Some of us participate in more than one forum and have the knowledge and experience to do so. If I injured my shoulder, I'd go to a shoulder doctor not a general practitioner. It's perfectly reasonable that the OP asks for tripod advice in a place where people have experience hauling gear into the woods and shooting wildlife where some tripod factors will weigh heavier (no pun intended) than for a generalist who, for example, hauls gear into a warehouse, church or reception hall and shoots ceremonies, parties or talking heads.

Vincent Martinez September 5th, 2011 11:02 AM

Chris,

I thought this would be the appropriate section to ask as I wanted "field" experience. I didn't think it would be an issue with you. I appreciate your input but you don't need to be an ass. I'm completely aware that I could have posted this in the TSH section, but I chose not to.

Next time I make a post, I'll remember to give some thought to "where would Chris post this".

Sabyasachi Patra September 8th, 2011 01:39 AM

Hi Vincent,
I just returned from a filming trip and sachtler tripod and OConnor fluid head was carried by one helper during treks. It is not easy to carry lot of stuff in the field. At times, I just used the OConnor Hi Hat.

Let us know what you finally decided and how you find the results. That might help others as well.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Alastair Traill September 11th, 2011 07:24 AM

Hi Sabyasachi,

Which O'Connor was it and what did you think of it? The O'Connor at the local rental business would need two people to carry it.

Sabyasachi Patra September 11th, 2011 10:53 AM

Hi Alastair,
I have the OConnor 1030 HDs. It weighs 3.7 kgs.

The OConnor 2065 iand the 2575 are monster heads weighing more than 10kgs. I guess your local rental would have one of those. Not sure how people carry those heavy fluid heads and a tripod.

Frankly speaking for me the 1030 HDs at 3.7kgs plus the Sachtler 100 ENG 2 CF HD tripod at 4kgs plus (with mid level spreader) becomes tough to carry along with my camera and lenses. One of the lenses (the 400mm f2.8 L IS USM lens is 5.3kgs). Plus the sound recording stuff. So the team size has now increased. So I can't think of carrying the OConnor 2065 and 2575 heads to the field. :-)

Also, the weight of the combo (tripod, fluid head, camera) has slowed me down while filming. It helps when the animal has seen you and you are doing slow and deliberate moves. Clearly not for run and gun type shooting.

In my next project on elephants, I am trying to use only the Hi hat plus the fluid head in certain terrains.

A brief write up on the fluid head: OConnor 1030 HDS Fluid Head for Wildlife Filming | Diary - Tales from India's Wilds

Cheers,
Sabyasachi