DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Under Water, Over Land (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/under-water-over-land/)
-   -   Rocky Mountain Big Horn Sheep (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/under-water-over-land/513137-rocky-mountain-big-horn-sheep.html)

Bob Safay January 4th, 2013 07:23 AM

Rocky Mountain Big Horn Sheep

I shot this while spending Christmas in Southern Colorado. I used a Canon XF300, hand held. I watched and videoed them for close to an hour. I counted 28 in the herd. And yes, this camcorder does work in sub-zero temperatures. Enjoy. Bob

Rocky Mountain Big Horn Sheep

Mike Sims January 4th, 2013 08:25 AM

Re: Rocky Mountain Big Horn Sheep

Hi Bob. I got up this morning to find a sprinkling of sleet and snow on my lawn (rare occurrence here!) and then came in and watched this and it really put things in perspective. You’ve got some nice behaviour here. They all seem to be either right or left footed- one ambihooved. I especially liked the close up of the ram in flehmen at 02:45. This must have been a treat to see and shoot. Thanks for sharing it here.

Mark Williams January 4th, 2013 08:43 AM

Nice one Bob. I have always been jealous of closeup wildlife shots like this.

Trond Saetre January 7th, 2013 12:12 PM

Very nice video, Bob.

For sub-zero temperatures, I can recommend this heat-cover for the camera:
PortaBrace - Camera Bags | Camcorder Cases, Digital Camera Bags
I'm using it for my XF300, and even when it was -20C, I had above 0C inside the cover.

Mark OConnell January 7th, 2013 02:27 PM

Did you shoot this interlaced?

Bob Safay January 11th, 2013 08:12 AM

Thank you all for your comments. Although the Canon worked well at minus 11, it seems my 63 year old body didn't and I ended up with the flu. I "suffer for my art". Mark, after watching your wonderful waterfalls videos I reallty apprechiate your comment. Also, to Mark O'Conner, I shot this in 1920 x 1080i. Do you think it would be better at 1920 x 1080p? While I was there I got a chance to video some buffalo but they were to far out for any good shots. Thats OK, I know where they hang out and will get them next time I am out there. Take care, Bob

Mark Williams January 11th, 2013 09:12 AM

Bob, I shoot progressive for the web and interlaced for standard DVD. Still trying to work out the best solution for Blu-Ray. I tend to like the higher frame rates because I think 24p is just too slow for they type work I do.

Mark OConnell January 11th, 2013 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Safay (Post 1772598)
Also, to Mark O'Conner, I shot this in 1920 x 1080i. Do you think it would be better at 1920 x 1080p?

I thought I saw some interlace artifacts in there. Progressive is far superior. I can't think of a single reason to shoot interlaced at this point.

Bob Safay January 14th, 2013 10:02 AM

Well I have a three day weekend coming up so I think I need to get out there and shoot some stuff in 1080p and compair it to 1080i. I love learning and trying different settings. Thanks to all of you. Bob