DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Under Water, Over Land (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/under-water-over-land/)
-   -   Exploring Mill Creek (4K) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/under-water-over-land/534651-exploring-mill-creek-4k.html)

Mark Williams September 9th, 2017 04:07 PM

Exploring Mill Creek (4K)

Mill Creek is located in the Cohutta Wildlife Management Area near Chatsworth, Georgia. It is a beautiful place in a fairly remote area. There is a crude trail starting at Hickey Gap Campground which follows the west side of the creek going downstream. Shot in September 2017 using a Panasonic GH4 camera and the following gear: Panasonic 45-175, and Olympus 60mm macro, 75-300mm and Rhino Carbon Slider. Edited with Edius 8 Workgroup . Music “Our Home” by Borrtex and is used under a Attribution-NonCommercial License. freemusicarchive.org/music/Borrtex/Our_Home/Borrtex_01_Our_Home

Bob Safay September 11th, 2017 11:30 AM

Re: Exploring Mill Creek (4K)

Mark, it is always such a pleasure to sit back, relax, and watch one of your videos. Thank you, Bob

Tim Lewis September 11th, 2017 05:49 PM

Mark, what Bob said.

Mark Williams September 11th, 2017 06:03 PM

Thanks Bob and Tim. I am glad that you enjoyed it.

Bryce Comer September 13th, 2017 08:00 AM

Oh yeah! That sets up my day nicely. Thanks Mark, another lovely video!!

Mark Williams September 13th, 2017 05:08 PM

Thanks Bryce, much appreciated.

Paul Wood September 14th, 2017 07:52 AM

Mark, what all my UWOL colleagues said!

Thanks, Paul

Mark Williams September 14th, 2017 09:16 AM

Paul, I am glad that you liked it.

Gordon Hoffman September 16th, 2017 11:57 AM

Hi Mark
I enjoy nice relaxing nature videos. Nice. I'm guessing the next one will be shot with a GH5?

Gordon

Mark Williams September 16th, 2017 12:33 PM

Yes, I sold my GH4 and have a new GH5 on order. Can't wait to shoot 4K 60fps.

John McCully October 18th, 2017 12:28 AM

Mark, I presume you now have a GH5. Is the 4k 60p functionality (vs the 4k 30p) meeting your expectations? Is it all that much better for the lovely footage you shoot?

I currently shoot using most often a Lumix G85 4k 30p and I am considering purchasing a GH5 to, primarily, be able to shoot the higher frame rate of 60p. I shoot wildlife including BIF where I have to believe 60p makes quite a difference, but I don’t know.

Your thoughts, or anyone else for that matter, most appreciated.

Cheers.

John

Vishal Jadhav October 18th, 2017 08:01 AM

John
I think the GH5 may make a interesting difference for BIF if you are game shooting the 6k photo mode shoot all jpegs but it does nail a few interesting frames is what i have seen.
For images i still rely heavily on the Canon 5D MIV but i have shot some with the GH5 and the Panny 100-400 its surely a great idea with fair light

Mark Williams October 18th, 2017 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John McCully (Post 1937545)
Mark, I presume you now have a GH5. Is the 4k 60p functionality (vs the 4k 30p) meeting your expectations? Is it all that much better for the lovely footage you shoot?

I currently shoot using most often a Lumix G85 4k 30p and I am considering purchasing a GH5 to, primarily, be able to shoot the higher frame rate of 60p. I shoot wildlife including BIF where I have to believe 60p makes quite a difference, but I don’t know.

Your thoughts, or anyone else for that matter, most appreciated.

Cheers.

John

John, I have been using the GH5 for about two weeks now. Mainly with the 4K 60p 150Mbps setting. It seems to be working well. I have been testing to see if the codec will break on fast moving water scenes and it is holding up well. I should have something posted here in a couple of weeks. So far I really like the camera.

John McCully October 18th, 2017 01:14 PM

Gentlemen, thanks for your comments; most appreciated. For still images I am coming from a Sony a6000 and my favourite lens is the somewhat big and heavy Sony FE 70-200mm F4 G OSS which is very sharp but with limited zoom range of course, and no 4k. But 4k plus very good still image quality is enticing, for sure. I went with the Lumix G85 plus the Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm to test the micro four thirds waters and I’m more than happy both with 4k 30p and stills the combo delivers, albeit with limited zoom range.

Being something of a skinflint I purchased the Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 II Power OIS rather than the Panasonic Leica DG Vario-Elmar 100-400mm which I now regret as I find the 100-300 somewhat soft especially at the long end as has been widely reported on the Internet. The 100-400 is reportedly much sharper, I believe.

So I’m looking at upgrading from the G85 to the GH5 to obtain 60p functionality and upgrading from the 100-300 to the 100-400 to obtain acceptable sharpness (not to forget the added reach) and that altogether represents a significant amount of money hence my question about what 60p really actually brings to the table when shooting 4k.

In the real world is 60p that much better when the footage is viewed on a 4k monitor is the question I’m seeking to answer. Because of my somewhat remote location test driving the GH5 and the 100-400 is not possible (I could jump on an airplane and head for the city I suppose). My first approach is to seek input from folks who have had considerable hands on. My gut feel (and based on HD 30p vs 60p to some extent) is that 4k 60p vs 4k 30p will ‘sometimes’ be advantages and often not. A sharper lens is always a very good thing.

I do value your input based on your actual use not dissimilar to the type of shooting I do and the level of excellence I aspire to achieve.

Of course the lovely wildlife footage Doug Jensen delivers is nothing short of incredible but I get the impression that he could deliver even when shooting with a box Brownie!

Vishal Jadhav October 19th, 2017 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John McCully (Post 1937570)
Gentlemen, thanks for your comments; most appreciated. For still images I am coming from a Sony a6000 and my favourite lens is the somewhat big and heavy Sony FE 70-200mm F4 G OSS which is very sharp but with limited zoom range of course, and no 4k. But 4k plus very good still image quality is enticing, for sure. I went with the Lumix G85 plus the Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm to test the micro four thirds waters and I’m more than happy both with 4k 30p and stills the combo delivers, albeit with limited zoom range.

Being something of a skinflint I purchased the Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 II Power OIS rather than the Panasonic Leica DG Vario-Elmar 100-400mm which I now regret as I find the 100-300 somewhat soft especially at the long end as has been widely reported on the Internet. The 100-400 is reportedly much sharper, I believe.

So I’m looking at upgrading from the G85 to the GH5 to obtain 60p functionality and upgrading from the 100-300 to the 100-400 to obtain acceptable sharpness (not to forget the added reach) and that altogether represents a significant amount of money hence my question about what 60p really actually brings to the table when shooting 4k.

In the real world is 60p that much better when the footage is viewed on a 4k monitor is the question I’m seeking to answer. Because of my somewhat remote location test driving the GH5 and the 100-400 is not possible (I could jump on an airplane and head for the city I suppose). My first approach is to seek input from folks who have had considerable hands on. My gut feel (and based on HD 30p vs 60p to some extent) is that 4k 60p vs 4k 30p will ‘sometimes’ be advantages and often not. A sharper lens is always a very good thing.

I do value your input based on your actual use not dissimilar to the type of shooting I do and the level of excellence I aspire to achieve.

Of course the lovely wildlife footage Doug Jensen delivers is nothing short of incredible but I get the impression that he could deliver even when shooting with a box Brownie!

The 60p gives you a better advantage in terms of a additional option, physically Cinema is 24p so 60p looking better than 30p is in my view a perception .
The 100-400 reach is something you would surely like over the 100-300 and the GH5 focusing may give you better results in my view, yes the IBIS and lens stabilization working on GH5 is a added advantage .