DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Under Water, Over Land (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/under-water-over-land/)
-   -   About the forum title... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/under-water-over-land/56359-about-forum-title.html)

Chris Hurd December 19th, 2005 08:42 AM

About the forum title...

This "under water, over land" thing is just a temporary moniker. It's a lyric from a favorite Midnight Oil song. I'm completely open to suggestions for a better title for this forum; it's entirely up to you guys, so have at it...

Meryem Ersoz December 19th, 2005 11:24 AM

wow, that was speedy. the new forum is most excellent. homey, even. i like "under water, over land." thanks, chris!!

after lobbying for a wildlife forum, my suggestion would be to keep the groovy forum title but alter the subtitle to something "Tools and Techniques for Nature, Outdoors, and Wildlife Videography"--unless this raises any objection for the group, in which case i'm content to leave it.

i shoot some extreme sports footage occasionally, climbers, kayakers, and that sort of thing. those sorts of images would probably be a good fit. they're wildlife, too, i guess, of a different sort.

Brendan Marnell December 19th, 2005 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meryem Ersoz
... but alter the subtitle to something "Tools and Techniques for Nature, Outdoors, and Wildlife Videography"-- .

... that's a clear practical subtitle allowing discussion of ideas as well as experience and hardware.

Brendan Marnell December 19th, 2005 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Hurd
This "under water, over land" thing is just a temporary moniker. ...

This is a purpose-specific choice of Forum Title. It will not be readily stolen by all types of media which break their butts ascribing all forms of the words "wild" and "natural" to human (not-so-sapiens) behaviour. Wish I'd thought of it! But who knows better?

Chris Hurd December 19th, 2005 06:57 PM

Thanks; it's now "Tools & Techniques for Nature, Outdoors, Wildlife & Underwater Videography."

Brendan Marnell December 20th, 2005 04:54 AM

This gets better all the time. Huge-ranging subtitle once you include Nature.

I may be only scratching at the door of videography and editing but now that I know (just about) how stills can be used in video footage I have 18 years library to raid. there must be 10 good shots of alpines among them ... yeah, some of them won AGS prizes way back, the year no one else turned up ... yippee ... I believe in reincarnation, I do believe

Steve McDonald December 20th, 2005 08:02 AM

How about, "Video on the Wild Side"?

Brendan Marnell December 20th, 2005 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve McDonald
How about, "Video on the Wild Side"?

That's very neat, delightful and attractive, Steve.

If I knew that the wrangler would not become overloaded with editorial garbage disposal I'd say it would be difficult to find a more appropriate forum title. What say the old wranglers or Chris himself, Master of the Hounds?

Chris Hurd December 20th, 2005 08:36 AM

My primary concern is that with a title like "Video on the Wild Side," we'll primarily attract Mardi Gras footage. Not that there's anything wrong with that; but now you're talking about an entirely different kind of material.

Brendan Marnell December 20th, 2005 09:16 AM

There was an ol' man in a trunk
who said to his wife, Am I drunk?
she replied, With regret
I'm afraid so my pet.
He said, Huh, then it's just as I thunk!

Real pity about that, Steve, but Chris has been there ...
It's safer to be purpose-specific, but please keep working at it; so will I

Robert J. Wolff January 16th, 2006 03:14 PM

Chris,

How about: "The Nature of it All!"

Brendan Marnell January 17th, 2006 02:34 PM

My suggestions are:

- "World of Wildlife"
- "The natural world"
- "Wildlife Video"
- "Wildlife"

but i feel I'm getting used to the present title and Why Change? Can't think of a good reason. Brevity is not the purpose; clarity, inclusiveness, subject-specific, lack of ambiguity are valid. BM