DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Under Water, Over Land (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/under-water-over-land/)
-   -   Nature & Wildlife videographers. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/under-water-over-land/60205-nature-wildlife-videographers.html)

Mike Quinones February 8th, 2006 06:14 PM

Nature & Wildlife videographers.

I have been contemplating a move away from Chicago for some time. But I like to ask my fellow videographers a question. If you had the freedom to moved to a place where you can be as close to nature as posible, where would you choose to lived?

Andrew Khalil February 8th, 2006 07:46 PM

I would love to go somewhere warm. If I had the choice, I'd go to Africa or Australia.

Mike Quinones February 8th, 2006 10:08 PM

Andrew;
I had in mind a place a little closer. Perhaps in the USA. But thank you anyway. Not bad.

Andrew Khalil February 8th, 2006 10:31 PM

Oh, sorry - thought when you meant "away" you really wanted "away." I don't know a huge amount about US destinations, but if I had to pick somewhere closer by, I'd go for British Columbia or somwhere else on the West Coast - I've never been there and I see how pretty it is on TV, so maybe one day I'll get to see it first hand.

Mick Jenner February 9th, 2006 03:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Quinones
Andrew;
I had in mind a place a little closer. Perhaps in the USA. But thank you anyway. Not bad.

Not quite the states,but not too far to go, I would recomend Costa Rica a wildlife film makers paradise.

mick

J. Stephen McDonald February 9th, 2006 03:23 AM

Vancouver, B.C. There's enough wildlife within the city limits to keep you busy and there's an unlimited amount more within 50 miles distance. And there's some great "wildlife" at a special place where you'd better not take your camera. There's so much to see and do in that city, that your increased metabolism will keep you warm. Human skin is waterproof, you know. Darn! If we'd just stuck to our demand of "54:40 or fight", then it'd all be part of the U.S.

Tony Davies-Patrick February 9th, 2006 05:14 AM

If it had to be in USA, then I'd pick one of these areas:

Central Washington State (you are then close to the Cascades, but also the westside is nice in summer and the eastside warmer in winter. Not far from the Orca of the coastline, the desert dry of east and wet forests of Olympia. Also BC, is just a short drive across the border).

Somewhere between Yosemite and Kings Canyon on the California/Nevada borders.

Somewhere around Zion in Utah (so much close by).

The Tri-State area near Topock Canyon on the lower Colorada River (Arizona/California borders).

The Quachita NF lakes & forests area near Little Rock, Arizona.

The Finger Lakes District in Upstate New York.

Adriondacks in NY.

The northwestern corner of Montana.

The northwestern corner of Wyoming.

The Sabine NF on the Texas/Louisiana borders.

The Superior NF in the northeastern corner of Minnisota.

Great Smoky mts area in Tennessee.

Sault St Marie (epicentre of Great Lakes).

Somewhere in Virgina between Monongahela NF in the west and Chesapeake Bay in the east, with the Appalachians in between.

The southern tip of Florida (as long as you ar far anough away from the crowds of holidaymakers and beach resorts).

The upper Salmon River area in Idaho.

Brendan Marnell February 9th, 2006 05:49 AM

epitaphs

Tony D-P's epitaph was written by Duke Ellington & Bob Russell over 60 years ago: "Don't get around much anymore".

I've never been to the States but have some vague impressions of
-wide stretches of dusty treeless prairie with scarce populations of small mammals and therefore few raptors up the food-chain
-deciduous self-sown forest in the north & east with coniferous forest along the mountain chains ... restricted light
-big rivers and lakes with great migrant/non-resident flocks in spring & autumn

Costa Rica & Belize would be attractive but I must check out Tony's websites for footage of his US list. My epitaph? That was written 'bout the same time:
"Hey little hen
when when when
will you lay me an egg for my tea"

I'll call you back when I track down the poet ...

Alan Craven February 9th, 2006 06:22 AM

Given that South island, New Zealand - NW corner, Kahurangi NP,is out, I would go with Tony's first choice.

But I would miss Motueka, Golden Bay and Karamea!

Meryem Ersoz February 9th, 2006 10:44 AM

this is a fun question.

i'd move me and my load o' gear out of my house and into my camper. for a year, anyway. maybe more, if i liked it.

then i'd spend a year in hawaii.

unfortunately this is not compatible with raising a 5-year-old.

still a fun dream, though...

colorado's not bad, though. i'd go to the four corners area in the southwest, like telluride or durango or cortez, if i could because, from there, you can access many diverse environments quickly (desert, high alpine, etc.)

Keith Loh February 9th, 2006 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J. Stephen McDonald
Vancouver, B.C. There's enough wildlife within the city limits to keep you busy and there's an unlimited amount more within 50 miles distance. And there's some great "wildlife" at a special place where you'd better not take your camera. There's so much to see and do in that city, that your increased metabolism will keep you warm. Human skin is waterproof, you know. Darn! If we'd just stuck to our demand of "54:40 or fight", then it'd all be part of the U.S.

Steven, we accept refugees from the United States. It's part of our constitution.

Tom Bouse February 9th, 2006 01:25 PM

nebraska person

crawford/chadron nebraska, cheap housing close to south dakota/black hills, wyoming and colorado. it has badlands, prairies, forests, hot springs, western history all over the place, geologic features, spring fed streams and rivers. and the stars on clear nights!

Mike Quinones February 9th, 2006 09:31 PM

Hey guys;
I have been away at work so I miss part of the excitement of the day at this forum. Very interesting comments. Thank you for your reply, keep it coming. I'm hoping to make a wise decision some time this Year. I am wishing for a change, here in Chicago the Zoo and Botanic Garden are growing tire of me and my camera. The great plains are some times just plain boring. Good Luck to all.

Mark Thorpe February 14th, 2006 07:17 PM

Living the dream

Hi there,
I was, 15 years ago, in a potentially finacially sound position. I had my own company, industrial cleaning, a nice house, nice car and all the "whistles and bells". Life was good. BUT I wasn't happy. I for one am not prepared to sit out the adventures on this roller coaster of a ride we call life just so that I can be financially comfortable. So I went about making a change. I gave the business to my, then, fiance, packed up some clothes and went in search of adventure. I learned to SCUBA dive and picked up a camera shortly after finding myself in the south of France a few months later. Since then I have been travelling the world in my endeavours to create a comprehensive marine archive of stock DV footage. I have lived in The Canary Islands, Micronesia, Belize, Fiji and am currently on the island of Palau (where they filmed Survivor). I have worked for clients including national Geographic, The World Wildlife Fund and National TV stations from Finland, Korea and Australia. Whilst this line of work is not that luccrative I have found my Nirvana. I am engaged to a beautiful Japanese lady having met her during my dive travels and we are planning to set up a small marine filming and production company based in the Philippines. I continue to contribute my work to International productions and am planning to set myself up with the new Panansonic AG-HVX200 as and when the PAL units are released.

Just to give you an insight into my experience. Mind you it's one thing to say it and a completely different thing to go ahead and take the bull by the horns so to speak. The realization of, "Oh crap I'm about to leave everything I've worked for behind" brings many people crashing back down to the harsh reality of life.

God luck with your plans. Don't forget though at the end of the day, you make the decision and live with it. No one else can be blamed should your planned escape go awry.

Regards,
Mark.

Mike Quinones February 14th, 2006 09:10 PM

Mark;
I read your reply and you make a good point. This is why I'm still in Chicago
I'm giving this some thoughts hopefully I will not make a decision that I regret later. Thank you very much for your friendly advise.