DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Under Water, Over Land (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/under-water-over-land/)
-   -   Mics for ambient sound, bugs birds etc (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/under-water-over-land/67409-mics-ambient-sound-bugs-birds-etc.html)

John Kron May 15th, 2006 11:55 AM

Mics for ambient sound, bugs birds etc

I was wanting suggestions for a decent mic for catching sounds of nature. in multi directions so birds and bugs water leaves etc can all be captured giving a realistic feel to the footage.
there is no xlr adapter on the camera so I will need to fit it accordingly. there is a hot shoe and mini stereo jack. lookin for the most economical , for personal use yet not wanting to sacrafice too much sound just to save a few bucks.thx

John Kron May 17th, 2006 06:39 PM

how about pro24

anyone have experience with the pro24 stereo mic for this usage?

Brendan Marnell May 18th, 2006 01:00 PM

Hi John

If you're using a stills camera only, I have nothing to suggest.

If you're using any camcorder with a built-in mic then you probably know that they are very sensitive to all noise and in pursuit of the sounds of nature I have found that the main problem is .. location .. How to pick up that superb song of a nightingale without the crescendo/decrescendo of road or air traffic encroaching on the soundtrack, or the jabbering of bystanders. The same mic can also be used beside a rocky stream to record water music and a dry spot nearby will often attract bugs buzzing by. The tracks can be combined easily enough on most editing packages and mixed in whatever balance you wish ... the noise of wind buffeting the mic can smother every sound but that problem is well covered around the Forum and you'll find many wiser than me on the subject if you Search under wind + buffer ...

Brendan Marnell May 20th, 2006 04:18 AM

On a lighter (though not necessarily softer) note there are ambient sounds that require very precise mic placement ..

I sat next to the Duchess at tea
It was just as I knew it would be
Her rumblings internal
Were something infernal
And everyone thought it was me!

John Kron May 20th, 2006 11:07 AM

I am starting with a sony stereo mic

I will give that a try, and see what happens. the signal to noise number was very promising. in 82db I believe. I think that is supposed to be good for picking up quite sounds. I will have to learn as I go I guess.

Robert J. Wolff May 29th, 2006 12:50 PM

Good Afternoon.

I have found that a hyper-cardioid mike has worked best for me, shooting critters. It will isolate a lot of the ambiant sounds, that I don't want. Personally, I am using a Samson Micro System. I am not recommending this as THE mike. It is the one that seems to isolate sound out doors best, with my XL-1s.

The 2 wire gents & gals in the audio section of this web site, will give you a better run down as to what you need.

I hope this helps.