DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The UWOL Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/)
-   -   UWOL #7 "Vera In Wonderland" by Trond Saetre (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/115532-uwol-7-vera-wonderland-trond-saetre.html)

Trond Saetre February 23rd, 2008 12:21 AM

UWOL #7 "Vera In Wonderland" by Trond Saetre

Film title:
21_UC7_VeraInWonderland

Star(s):
Vera the dog
My sister, Trude

In this film, the star from my UC5 film "Exploring moments" is back.
We are following my sister's dog, a gordon setter named Vera, as she is running around, playing in the woods. Vera is now 7 months old and a true moviestar. She loves being in front of the camera, and the closer to the lense, the more fun she seems to have. And she really enjoy watching herself on tv.

The film was shot in about 2 hours, and during this time my sister was taking lots of still photos while I was filming.

In the film, Vera is taking the very first bath of her lifetime. Parts of the lake was covered with thin ice, and the water was cold. Unfortunately I wasn't able to capture Vera jumping in the water, since I was filming the opening sequence in the opposite direction. We were caught by surprice that Vera took a bath, because in general she hates rain, showers and being wet.

Hope you enjoy.

Trond

Trond Saetre February 24th, 2008 09:52 AM

Since the film isn't available on the uwol website yet, I uploaded my film to youtube also:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeltIUsXtQ8

Meryem Ersoz February 24th, 2008 10:29 AM

they sure grow up fast, those puppies! *sniff*

i can't believe that 7 months have whizzed by already...

a fun film, trond. with the musical selection, it almost felt like a dog cartoon. she sure is a cute girl.

i like the doggie dream sequence ending. what do those crazy mutts dream? well, now we know.

Trond Saetre February 24th, 2008 10:40 AM

Meryem, thank you for the comment. I'm glad you like it.

Yes, Vera has grown up way too fast. She is a bright young lady who knows exactly how and when things should be done.

Kevin Railsback February 24th, 2008 11:29 AM

Trond,

I can't believe how big she's grown!

This was another fun film to watch. Vera looked like she was having a blast. :)

Well, until she took her bath. She certainly looked confused by what had just happened. :)

Nice choice of music and beautiful opening sequence scenery.

Nice way to wrap it all up with her dreaming about her day.

Trond Saetre February 24th, 2008 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Railsback (Post 832018)
Well, until she took her bath. She certainly looked confused by what had just happened. :)

Yes, Vera was very confused about the wet element. Actually I think both Trude and I were equally confused, or should we say shocked, about what Vera did there. After that, Vera was running around to dry herself, (and get the heat back, I guess).
I'm glad you liked the film, Kevin.

Bob Thieda February 24th, 2008 03:57 PM

Very fun....I love dogs, so I couldn't help but like it.

My original idea was very similar...
I was going to video our 18 month old coon hound as she investigated new things...
Everything is an adventure to a young dog...

Per Johan Naesje February 24th, 2008 04:46 PM

Trond,
filming dogs is not an easy task, I know, I've tried with Anne-Kari's two dogs. I think you did very well with Vera.
There was a couple of minor hard cuts, but overall I enjoyed your film! Vera has grown very well since her last performance.

Trond Saetre February 24th, 2008 05:02 PM

Bob, thank you for the feedback. You are so right, the dogs love checking out new things.
I'm glad you enjoyed watching it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Per Johan Naesje (Post 832203)
There was a couple of minor hard cuts, but overall I enjoyed your film! Vera has grown very well since her last performance.

I appreciate your feedback, Per Johan. Means a lot!
Yeah, I am aware of a few (too) hard cuts. Think those are the ones you talk about. With 2 of the cuts, I had no options but make them a little more hard cuts than I wanted, since cross-dissolve transitions made them worse, due to Vera moving around.
Maybe I could have solved it in another way?

Catherine Russell February 24th, 2008 05:21 PM

Hi Trond:

Well done friend! The best adventure of all is to go have a blast.... Vera seems to have mastered that part of it at least! Vera really has grown and is simply a bundle of energy in every way. Not easy to film a bounding bullet so you pulled it together nicely for the challenge of that. Great way to end it. A real joy to watch!

Cato

Markus Nord February 25th, 2008 07:58 AM

A nice exploring/adventures film, nice job. It looks like you hade a hard time to get the dog in the frame… :)

Markus

Trond Saetre February 25th, 2008 08:11 AM

Catherine, thank you for the comment. Yes, Vera had so much fun. She even cried a bit when we had to go back home. Running around for "only" about 2 hours was not part of her plan. She would have stayed there if she could.

Markus, yes it was hard to keep Vera in the frame. To have her standing still for more than a couple of seconds when it was so much cool smells and other interesting things to explore was almost impossible.
But this is part of the challenge about filming animals. It's totally unpredictable and you have to prepair yourself for "anything".
Best of all, we had a great day with much fun!

Vidar Vedaa February 25th, 2008 08:49 AM

Hi Trond

You make a realy nice entery her,very nice film!!

VJV

Rob Evans February 25th, 2008 08:55 AM

Hey Trond, that was a charming little film, with a great star. I loved your selection of shots, the variety and movement of them really flowed nicely. I think perhaps I would have liked to have seen some more of that location, as the filming did seem to be focused in quite a small area. My wife loved this one too - she's a big dog fan.. Good film!

Dale Guthormsen February 25th, 2008 12:33 PM

Tronde,

ahhh, a Gordon Setter!! What a great bird dog!! This one seems to have real character!!

I love videos with dogs in them, right up there with raptors!!

I very much enjoyed you entry!!!