DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The UWOL Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/)
-   -   UWOL #9 "Little Things" by Bob Thieda (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/124346-uwol-9-little-things-bob-thieda.html)

Per Johan Naesje June 27th, 2008 12:09 AM

Bob, a very nice film about the ants, I liked it alot! Very informative, I didn't know that there was so many different kinds of them and the weight of them....!
The macros work was nice and editing too.

John Dennis Robertson June 27th, 2008 12:11 AM

Hey Bob
I can very often tell who produced what video by the style or feel of it in the first few seconds...Ok so I saw your face in the first few seconds,but I would have known it was yours anyway...I like the way you get the message across,and I do enjoy watching your video's.Informative,entertaining and on the money

Bob Thieda June 28th, 2008 09:02 AM

Thanks to everyone who's commented. I really appreciate the feedback, good and bad.
And yes Lorinda, I did call them "little buggers".

I felt this was a weak effort on my part, mostly because I shot the majority of it on the last day and I felt like I rushed the editing.

But we are our own wost critics, are we not?

I believe I've watched and commented on everyone else's video.
What a great round this was...outstanding work by everyone.

I for one, cannot wait for the next one...

Bob T.

Mike Beckett June 28th, 2008 11:17 AM

Bob,

Those little things are making me itch!

I like the intro, and the way it and the camerawork gradually leads us into the world of the small and scratchy beasties. great macro shots of the ants in action.

You're a brave man lying down on the ground there at 1:35!

"It's hard to tell what they're doing... but they're doing something." I love that remark - in fact, I love the whole commentary, and your screen presence is very natural and not as scared-looking as anything I've tried!

There's a bit of hiss on the voiceover in places that is noticable, but that's just a minor nit-pick. Oliver's music works well for the ants, seeing as they make no sound themselves, you have to make up for it!

Excellent. And you didn't even have to get in your car for that one!

Oliver Pahlow June 29th, 2008 06:06 AM

To my good friend Bob,

They maybe little things, but you made them look big. For someone who is not afraid to take chances here's to you pal.

Oliver

Dale Guthormsen June 29th, 2008 05:53 PM

Bob,

Nicely done!! good macro shots, they are never easy, Such short depth of field!!!

I loved youor naration and the music I felt fit the subject.

Nice Job!!

did you use a diopter or a macro lens on an xl series ??

Bob Thieda June 29th, 2008 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dale Guthormsen (Post 900680)
...did you use a diopter or a macro lens on an xl series ??

It was a cheap, ($20 or $30), 10X macro off ebay...Used it on my GL2.
Worked I lot better than I had any right to expect.

Adrinn Chellton June 29th, 2008 11:59 PM

Bob, I almost did my film on ants. They have always fascinated me, how much they could get done while being one of the tiny forms of life. I like the way you make us guess in the beginning as well.

Nice entry keep em coming!

Ruth Happel July 7th, 2008 10:30 PM

As you can guess from my film, I am a big fan of macro. Hmmm. Is that a slight contradiction- big, small- well, I like to see the little details of wildlife, and your film did that to perfection. I learned a lot, and was amazed at the cinematography. Wonderful!!!

Ruth

Trond Saetre July 9th, 2008 03:12 AM

Hi Bob,

You made a really good video! Very interesting story you tell. Including yourself in the video just made it even better. Loved the macro shots!

Maybe you could have waited a second or so more before you began talking in the beginning. I felt as if the VO began a little too quick, and before the video itself was running, if you understand what I mean. But it's just a minor detail.

Keep up your great work!
Thank you for sharing.