DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The UWOL Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/)
-   -   UWOL #9: Flight of the Bumblebee by Ruth Happel (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/124432-uwol-9-flight-bumblebee-ruth-happel.html)

Mike Beckett June 28th, 2008 07:23 AM

Ruth,

This was an entry that had put a smile on my face from the beginning. I love bees! I even talk to them if one gets in the house and I have to shepherd him outside.

The slow-mo shots of them are just fantastic, they really are such elegant insects.

The colors from that camera are fantastic,and you get pretty good depth of field too. It must be really hard to frame those shots, but you do it so well.

The music was... well, inevitable, given the title and the subject matter!

Bob Thieda June 28th, 2008 07:42 AM

Ruth,

Love your new toy...Hope my next camera can do that.

What can I say that hasn't been said?
Fantastic shots and very interesting/fun to watch.

Hope the move goes well!

Bob

Sam Mendolia June 28th, 2008 09:39 PM

Sorry Ruth,

I am new hear, and have not had a chance to see the video.

With all the chat about the slow motion, and your new camera, I am intrigued too watch it.

By the way, what is your new camera?

Good luck on your move!

Chris Barcellos June 28th, 2008 10:35 PM

Hey Ruth another neat one with your cool camera. That was a lot of fun.

Geir Inge June 30th, 2008 06:59 AM

Hi Ruth.

Of course you had to use this music for this kind of video :)
When it comes to sound it's like you know exactly what to use for each and every film you make. It's like you have a natural gift/talent for it.
I love your slow motion, but in this case I would have liked to see some "in between shots" not in slowmo (no offend though).
This is the last film I'll be watching today.
So many films in this round and if the rest is of the same good quality as those I've been watching today, it'll be like heaven :)

Wish you all the best Ruth.
Geir Inge

Bruce Foreman July 1st, 2008 07:57 PM

Your camera's ability to render slomo is to capture of motion what macro focusing in extreme closeups is to moving us into that small world we cannot step into.

What you have been able to do with the this film is to put the two concepts together and show us something beautiful with regards to both a fascinating creature and the abundance of color in flowers in closeup.

It's a beautiful film.

I've heard the bumblebee described by an aeronautical engineer as being aerodynamically awkward and defying most physical laws of flight.

Reminds me of the air force's old Korean conflict era C-124 Globemaster, like a tall two story barn with short stubby wings. Took forever on takeoff roll with engines roaring full blast and just about the time it ran out of runway, somehow just managed to "stumble" apologetically into the air.

Sam Mendolia July 3rd, 2008 09:20 AM

Awesome video, and I was able to find the camera that you used, and read some reviews on it.

I am jealous, because I can't afford a slo-mo camera like what you are using, and it would take forever to render something like this in post.

I guess as I have said before, I will learn more about the features that my "old Optura", has, and attempt to do what you mastered, easily with your new toy.

I will have to be patient, with myself and my toys.

Cheers to you.

Ruth Happel July 7th, 2008 10:41 PM

Thanks for all the comments. I am about to head to upstate NY later this AM so can't reply individually to your notes, but I will try to later this week when I am on internet again. The main suggestion I note from quickly looking through them is a preference for some footage with regular speed bees. I did get some of that, but it broke up the dreamy mood I was trying to create. Robin and I also had a fun idea with a VO that emphasized their clumsiness, which I had never realized as vividly until I shot in slo-mo. But we ran out of time, so I will save that for a later time. Thanks for taking the time to watch.

Ruth