Tales of Wonder and Woe: UWOL-Long-Form 2009 - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old January 28th, 2009, 07:37 PM   #46
Major Player

Marj... I'd like to hear a little about your animation. In a perfect world my film would include some (plate tectonics and sedimentation and other geology kind of stuff) but I think that IS biting off too much for me right now.
Chris Swanberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2009, 02:00 AM   #47
Major Player

Hi Chris
I will be using animation mainly to explain a few simple math concepts as a necessary part of my exploration otherwise nothing will to make much sense to the viewers. The 2D animation program I use is very basic and is part of my graphics suite. (Adobe After Effects is cheaper than my graphics suite and does a far better job judging by Cat’s videos.) Gary uses 3D Studio Max for his design presentations.
Marj Atkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2009, 01:52 PM   #48
Regular Crew

Hi all,

I mentioned in a previous post I was departing for a few days to film Trumpter Swan, on the ice flows of a river north of my home, which is a part of a Doc.

Well on the way I filmed: 1min 32sec at -20F

Please enjoy this preview of what nature can provide when you are not looking for it, and in what is a blink of the eyes.

Link: Welcome to worldwidemedia.com Stock Footage Wildlife Short Film 1min 32sec at -20F

I wish you all good luck, and if I can assist any of you please let me know.
Old January 31st, 2009, 04:11 AM   #49
Trustee

My plan for today 31. January 2009:

The sky: crystal clear blue, sunny - no clouds :)
The ground: frozen, no snow, 500 m above sealevel=snow
Outdoor temp: 9C
Wind: no :)

Geir Inge: is chasing "Cinclus cinclus" or "White-throated Dipper, if you like.
Abandon: my schoolwork, tidy "my" hobby room, that's - "my" garage :)
My wife: she don't know, she's at work - she loves me/I love her :)
My aim: having a nice day - bye, CU

Geir Inge
Old January 31st, 2009, 04:26 AM   #50
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Blumberg View Post
Please enjoy this preview of what nature can provide when you are not looking for it, and in what is a blink of the eyes.

Link: Welcome to worldwidemedia.com Stock Footage Wildlife Short Film 1min 32sec at -20F
Mike, your film dosn't seem to stream any good! I tried on various browsers and couldn't manage to make it play
Only got 2 seconds glance of the Bald Eagle!
Old January 31st, 2009, 04:28 AM   #51
Trustee

Geir Inge, lucky you! I'm at work this weekend, but next week I'm off duty, ready for some close contact to bird of prey!

Have a nice trip!
Old January 31st, 2009, 06:10 AM   #52
Trustee

Mike, great shot of the bald eagle. Last weekend I was at Lake Gunterville State Park in northeastern Alabama and videoed a few bald eagles but nothing as beautiful as yours.

My entry will revolve around the different wildlife found on the Galapogos Islands. I hope to show how tourism can effect wildlife on these remote Islands. I will be spending 11 days there in May/Jun 09. I think my Feb entry will be an introduction of myself packing and getting ready to fly to Peru to tour Machu Picchu for 6 days and then to the Galapagos for 11 days of videoing. This is going to be fun. Bob
Bob Safay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2009, 10:13 AM   #53
Major Player

Nice footage Mike.

I like the diverse set of ideas people are exploring here. Sound like a few people are planning on some productive adventures away.

I was somewhat tempted to go and film the bushfires we just had a few miles away. Could have done the video on fire and it's effects on the environment - regrowth, or lack thereof in some places. But I don't know how close I'd be able get, or when we'd get more fires to film additional footage, and I'd probably come under suspicion given that there seems to be an arsonist around. Plus with temps up to 45 Celsius I don't know how much my camera likes sweat dripping everywhere. I think I'll stick with snow - although we could just as likely get very little of that this winter. Maybe by mid July.

Just a thought. If we aren't using previous UWOL footage, but have some footage from before this year that pertains to our current topic, can we use some of that for our first submission? Eg. I have some skiing footage from a couple of years ago, can I use a few seconds of that? It will be all new stuff in the final piece.
Andrew Hood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2009, 08:37 PM   #54
Regular Crew

Thank you all for your kind comments.

Per Johan, I do not know what to tell you, I have tested it on win and mac and you are the only one net getting it.

I am using qt 7 for the film.

Have a great day
Old February 1st, 2009, 10:49 PM   #55
Trustee

Hi Mike,
I was able to view it after downloading Opera Browser to my PC!
Wow, the Bald Eagle shoot was beautiful, real nice to view the slow motion. Was this done with EX-1 or 3 with overcrank 60 fps?
Old February 1st, 2009, 11:33 PM   #56
Regular Crew

Per Johan,

Thank you for your comments,

Camera was a pan HVX 200 720p24PN overcranck a 60fps normal lense used a blind on the on the bank near the ice flows.

Thanks again and have a great day.
Old February 2nd, 2009, 09:04 AM   #57
Major Player

I just got back from my first excursion for this project. The area I’m working is a ten hour drive west from here- about halfway across the state. My fears about winter shooting and continuity problems proved unfounded. In the desert, at least, everything is still pretty green. It’s been a wet winter and there hasn’t been a killing freeze (yet!). Not so in the mountains. Daytime highs while I was there averaged 86°F in the desert and 72° in the mountains with lows of 44° and 36° respectively. I came back with more footage than I expected and shouldn’t have any problem coming up with three minutes. I hope things are going as smoothly for everyone else. We don’t want to lose anyone at the first hurdle.
Mike Sims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2009, 09:26 PM   #58
Trustee

On my way back from Africa. After this trip, I';m seriously thinking about changing the subject of my long form project. Now I need something that will work with Africa and Iowa. What a combo!!! :)

Been up for 50 hours straight so far. Will be over 60 by the time I'm done. I can hardly see straight!!!
Old February 6th, 2009, 11:25 PM   #59
Major Player

Got my first footage. Realised that too much of training idea would be indoors. So I'm going with fires and their effects on the environment. I only had to walk 100m from my house to get some.

It peaked at 44 C (~110 F), with strong winds, and some little *$!@ lit a fire, which has taken off. So I'm still in the process of preparing the house for ember attack incase the weather turns on us. Time for a cold drink, then I might grab some photos if it's still favourable conditions - not heading our way.
15 trucks and at least 3 helicopters. Plus we have huge fires towards Melbourne with major road blocks. I want to get some more close up shots, but I'll wait till we're not under threat and it's safer to get somewhere near it. But I'll have to check on where I can go, if I need permission. I'm trained (although they lost my paperwork). But I can definitely get stuff on rehab areas. Plenty of past burnt areas to visit.
Andrew Hood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2009, 02:26 AM   #60
Regular Crew

My friends back in NZ ( where I am orginally from ) say the fires are doing intense things to the night sky there. Have you checked out the google earth images, might be rad to include some how.

jen
Jennie Stenhouse is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge