DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The UWOL Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/)
-   -   UWOL 16 Tales of wonder and Woe! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/478152-uwol-16-tales-wonder-woe.html)

Mike Beckett May 21st, 2010 04:23 AM

Right, so I have nothing shot yet... but the new camera is here, even if it is a bit naked without all my goodies and I only have one SD card.

If all goes to plan, I'm going to climb a small mountain tomorrow, and then try to edit something quickly on Sunday.

...Although lazing around in the sun does seem very attractive too at the moment!

Mat Thompson May 21st, 2010 06:20 AM

Blimey ! - Everyone seems to be last minute this round. Usually I'm right there too! However this time I'm edited and just about to voice the VO and do the sound.

I'm not gloating ;-) but it does feel nice for a change :-)

Marj - That sounds like something very worthy of your skills. Why do we insist of screwing this planet up. left, right and centre !

Kevin Railsback May 22nd, 2010 05:18 AM

An incredible foggy morning here in Iowa and what am I doing? Yeah that's right, I have to go in to work all day today and tomorrow.

Hopefully there's something to shoot later towards evening when I get home.

Man this bites! Been so buy at work doing another job that I haven't had time to really formulate my idea. Have some stuff shot but nothing solid. Now I have to work this weekend so it's going to be a mad dash to the finish line!

Mike Beckett May 22nd, 2010 10:00 AM

Ow... ow.... and ow again.

A day climbing a mountain today (hottest day of the year so far) a journey back to my childhood... and I am sunburnt (despite the factor 30, hat etc.) battered and bruised (including a bash in the mouth from my tripod). Still, Rule #11 has applied throughout!

Now while my body tries to return to normal temperatures, I've got two days or so to pull this into something.

And, somehow, I am still smiling from the experience. I don't think us UWOL-ers can be classed as normal!

Marj Atkins May 22nd, 2010 12:58 PM

Sorry to hear about all the pain Mike.

Have my footage too . . . and a simple story. Now to pull it all together.

Mike Beckett May 22nd, 2010 01:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Waiting for the ravens on the updrafts - they never did come back and I missed them entirely. So I am living up to the UWOL cliche of "shooting rocks". And I nearly lost my Aussie hat in the 40mph winds, hence the sunburn to my fine skull.

Still, it was a fantastic view of the Irish countryside. And the photo captures my best side...

And what did I learn from today? Yes, a Sachtler DV6-SB is a mighty fine tripod, but at 13 lbs it is not the ideal companion for climbing a mountain!

Mike Sims May 22nd, 2010 04:26 PM

I’m glad to see most of us seem to be struggling through. I solved my problems by switching to another camera. Like Per Johann, I shot this one on a HDSLR. It’s been a little scary since this is the first thing I’ve shot with this camera. I’m now waging my usual battle against the evil compression software. Looks like it’s going to win again…

Mike- Please accept some advice from sunny Texas, my friend. Aloe vera juice or cream is the best for sunburn. It heals faster and takes the pain out. I hope you can find some. Glad you saved the hat. Hang in there.

Mike Beckett May 23rd, 2010 04:35 AM

Mike - thanks for the advice! We don't "do" sun well here. I escaped lightly, thanks to some Cactus-extract after-sun spray. Probably inspired by Texans!

I have written the first draft of my script and am going to record my voiceover then start laying down my clips... and try not to panic being late.

Mike Beckett May 23rd, 2010 11:58 AM

And I forgot to add another tale of woe. It was a very windy day and I didn't have my mic blimp with me, so I was struggling with audio.

Just as I got one of the few wind-free minutes of the day and there was some nice bird song and background noise, a party fire engine came up the road, blasting the horn and with kids screaming out the windows.

In the middle of nowhere.

I may just have sworn, but I suppose there was a funny side to it...

Chris Barcellos May 23rd, 2010 12:24 PM

Got mine completed last night.

I uploaded to the site this morning using the old password. I assume that is okay.

Trond Saetre May 23rd, 2010 02:06 PM

Edit and VO done. Now I just need to find some music to add. Saved the hard part to the end.

Dale Guthormsen May 23rd, 2010 02:10 PM

Good Afternoon,

We were up north for a shoot sense friday. Raining sheats of water all yesterday afternoon into the night. We decided to drive home and got home early this morning. I was so physically tired from shooting all afternoon and evening when I got home and was trying to get to sleep the ceiling was spinning and when I got up I was spun off balance as if I was drunk, no I was not drinking!!!! I have never been so physically effected by being tired like that in my life, Weird!!

Today the winds are at 50+

I went to my UWOL folder to find the old user id and password and my entire folder was empty, go figure that one???

Chris, perhaps you (or anyone else) could email me the old one.

Dale

Meryem Ersoz May 24th, 2010 07:37 AM

hey y'all - I sent the upload info around yesterday - but was having trouble with my email - Kevin says he didn't get it - but it did CC to my UWOL account and nothing ever bounced back - so I'm guessing it didn't go to the rest of you, either? I'm going to send it around again, but won't be able to get to it until later this afternoon.

if we need to, for technical difficulties, I can add in a one day extension for uploading.

Kevin Railsback May 24th, 2010 07:55 AM

Um , yeah, I'm having technical difficulties. :)

Trond Saetre May 24th, 2010 09:50 AM

Meryem, I did not receive the upload email either.
Maybe a day extension for uploading would be a good idea?

Dale Guthormsen May 24th, 2010 10:11 AM

Good Morning,

Mine is downloading with the prior information, thanks Chris.

I will post a high res version link for vimeo tonight sometime.

Dale

LATER: It took less than 15 minutes to download, Makes me a little suspecious.

Look forward to see the list of successful downloads!

Mat Thompson May 24th, 2010 10:33 AM

Shouldn't that be upload/s Dale :-) ?

Chris Barcellos May 24th, 2010 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dale Guthormsen (Post 1530724)
Good Morning,

Mine is downloading with the prior information, thanks Chris.

I will post a high res version link for vimeo tonight sometime.

Dale

LATER: It took less than 15 minutes to download, Makes me a little suspecious.

Look forward to see the list of successful downloads!

Dale:

You are welcome....

But wow, in this high speed world, I get suspicious if it takes more than a minute to upload.

Is there an upload list somewhere yet so we can confirm we made it ?

Mike Beckett May 24th, 2010 12:55 PM

Finished! And uploaded, with only a few hours to spare. That's about as last minute as I like to be.

Not bad, considering that just three days ago I thought I'd be swimming with the sharks. Hurrah!

Trond Saetre May 24th, 2010 01:28 PM

It is a wrap!
Uploading as we speak.

Mike Sims May 24th, 2010 01:32 PM

I uploaded last night. Good-luck everyone!

Mat Thompson May 24th, 2010 01:49 PM

Hi guys

I've just checked the uploads.

Sucessfully uploaded films are

02 / 03 / 07 / 10 / 11 / 12

Hope this helps.

On a personal note I'm just ready to upload so a whole 3 hrs to spare :-)

Mike Beckett May 24th, 2010 03:05 PM

I uploaded with about 3 bytes to spare! Well, not quite... but 59,643KB is pretty close to 60MB!

Bill Thesken May 24th, 2010 03:34 PM

I filmed Sat, Sun, and this morning, tweaked a bit, had to squeeze it to exactly 3 minutes, and am rendering. On my side of the globe it's 11:30 AM, so I've got a little wiggle room if I need to tweak the file size. I'll say Whew when it's been uploaded...

Trond Saetre May 24th, 2010 03:35 PM

I'm uploading mine again now (Mat, that's nr 07, same file name as the original upload).

In a (not so) bright moment 90 minutes before deadline, I desided it was a good moment to re-edit my film.
Being optimistic and thinking "plenty time to go, no problem".
Well, re-editing is done, encoding is done, and it seems like uploading will complete a couple minutes before midnight. Plenty time.

Mike Beckett May 24th, 2010 03:42 PM

Trond, don't forget it's "midnight anywhere in the world".

You could work on it all night if you wanted, I think you have until about 8am GMT tomorrow, which is midnight on the west coast of the USA!

Trond Saetre May 24th, 2010 03:45 PM

Mike, I have always thought about it as "midnight wherever you are at the moment". But I'll make it with several minutes to spare. Almost completed uploading again now.

Trond Saetre May 24th, 2010 03:51 PM

Mat:
After re-uploading my entry, the new one has got a new file name (added "1" to the end of the file name):
Can you please check that only the new version is saved, and if not, delete the previous version?

This is the message after upload/transfer was completed:

File '07_UC16_Norwegianfjordsandmountains.mov' already exist!
New file saved as '07_UC16_Norwegianfjordsandmountains1.mov'.
Transfer complete!

Mat Thompson May 24th, 2010 04:12 PM

Thats ok and updated Trond.

Trond Saetre May 24th, 2010 04:14 PM

Thank you, Mat.

Mat Thompson May 24th, 2010 05:06 PM

02 / 03 / 07 / 10 / 11 / 12 / 13 / 19

Now uploaded

Geir Inge June 2nd, 2010 05:21 PM

Hi to you all

Just wanna pop in and say that I have seen your films and they are all great.
I had a totally computer crash and sad to say I have lost many of my edited files.
Not only my PC was damaged but also 3 of my external hard disk, with several files on.
My tapes are still in tact though :)

Some happy information is that the Norwegian Ministry of the Environment have established 36 new nature reserves (conservations areas).
Most of tehse areas have large populations of seabirds and one of them is at my place :)
It's where I've been filming for the last 3 years, namely The islets of Kvamsoy.

Best of luck to all of you in Uwol#16

Geir Inge

Trond Saetre June 3rd, 2010 02:03 AM

Hei Geir Inge,

Sorry to hear about the computer problems.
There is a company in Oslo specializing in recover data from damaged harddrives.
It is expencive, but might be worth it.
Can't remember the name of the company right now, but a google search should find them.

Hope to see you around next challenge.

Per Johan Naesje June 3rd, 2010 02:51 AM

Geir Inge, very sorry to hear. Please contact me if there´s something I can do. I think it´s strange that you got disk-crashes on several disks at once! Remember that I used to work as a computer engineer so I maybe able to help you out!

Per Johan Naesje June 3rd, 2010 02:55 AM

Hi all finishers! I have been looking through most of your films. And there´s is very, very many nice films there. I will try to comment all films within some days. Looking forward to the judging!

Meryem Ersoz June 3rd, 2010 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geir Inge (Post 1534185)
Some happy information is that the Norwegian Ministry of the Environment have established 36 new nature reserves (conservations areas).
Most of tehse areas have large populations of seabirds and one of them is at my place :)
It's where I've been filming for the last 3 years, namely The islets of Kvamsoy.

That is good news...Kvamsoy will be there for future generations.

Just a note to everybody - this past weekend was a holiday in the US, so our esteemed judge will be posting results by the end of this week.

Some superior films this round!

Mike Beckett June 3rd, 2010 10:47 AM

Thanks Meryem!

It was indeed a superb batch of films from everyone this time, I'd hate to be the one to have to chose!

Marj Atkins June 10th, 2010 08:07 AM

Just to say thanks for all your hard work behind the scenes on our behalf once again Meryem - we really appreciate it.

Per Johan Naesje June 11th, 2010 01:25 AM

Very much agreed what Marj says!
I have been part of this community from the very beginning and the work Meryem has done in every challenge is highly appreciated.
In a non-profit area like this, not many people would have work as hard and polite as Meryem has done the last couple of years.
And I hope that we can continue to run this challenge in years to come...

Trond Saetre June 11th, 2010 01:51 AM

A big thank you to Meryem!!
And also a thank you to everyone in the uwol family.
I'm proud to be part of this special family! Looking forward to many new challenges in the future.