DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The UWOL Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/)
-   -   13_uwol19_Motion entry (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/492049-13_uwol19_motion-entry.html)

David Chilson February 21st, 2011 07:30 AM

13_uwol19_Motion entry

Hi all,

At this time of year, snow, wind and waves make up the majority of movement in my neck of the world. This was shot on the south shore of Lake Ontario over 6 days. There is a shallow area where these ducks come to feed and experiencing first hand the "motion" they must endure is amazing.

Being my first entry I was a little apprehensive and I went back and forth whether I should have included a voice over. To me it was better without any narration but that could have been because I don’t do it very well as opposed to necessary to really tell the story.

It was great fun and I look forward to April, when life is a little easier weather wise.

Mike Sims February 21st, 2011 09:07 AM

Re: 13_uwol19_Motion entry

Hi David. This is your first time and sometimes the rules are a little hard to work out at first, so bear with us. We don’t post links to Vimeo or other larger versions until the official viewing page is posted. That way everyone gets to see all the films at the same time. Sometimes folks think Kevin’s upload list is it (I did at first). It isn’t. Kevin provides a valuable service by posting a list of the files on the server so people who have uploaded can be assured their files are there and we can all see who has finished. Mat will use those files to prepare an official viewing page for the UWOL Challenge website and post a link to it. Once that link is posted it is fair game to post your Vimeo link. The moderators may remove your premature link -but you can beat them to it and temporarily block it! ;) I look forward to watching your video at the proper time. One more thing. In future you might want to name your file something other than the theme as that can get confusing. Hang in there.

Catherine Russell February 21st, 2011 09:14 AM

Hi David:

Again, welcome to UWOL! I haven't seen your film yet, but will comment soon. Just a reminder for next time around that you need to hold off on including a Vimeo link to a higher def version of your entry until after Kevin and Matt of a thread up with the links to the entry clips that will be in the judging. This isn't my rule, but it has been pointed out in the past by those that didn't have access to higher definition hosting that they felt slighted that comments and reviews were getting out earlier than what was possible for their own clips.

Just a heads up for next time.

Looking forward to your film, David!

Cat

David Chilson February 21st, 2011 09:32 AM

Geez,

Nothing like getting off to a good start...... I blocked it.

Catherine Russell February 21st, 2011 10:18 AM

Ah, but you have gotten off to a good start. You have submitted a film by the deadline that has met all of the requirements. It takes a round to get up to speed on all of the finer quirks about the contest. The rest of these guys are veterans and know these things already. Watch for Matt Thompson's thread that says the UWOL 19 films are up for judging. When you see that, unblock your film on Vimeo and let the good times roll!

David Chilson February 22nd, 2011 11:04 AM

Well I went back onto Vimeo and changed the settings from private to public but that doesn't seem to have worked. (Sure, it came down fine but getting it back up.......) Before I post another link or make another newbie UWOL blunder, anyone with advice?

Thanks and I am changing the name from Motion to "The most talked about UWOL entry never seen"

Be nice to me, it's my birthday.

Edit, right after I typed this it showed up. It's noon I'm drinking.......

Catherine Russell February 22nd, 2011 11:13 AM

Hey David!

What a grand day to have a birthday! A happy one to you too! How young? An answer of "anywhere between 9 and 90" is okay to say :).

Once again, I haven't watched your film yet (I will soon), but I tested it and it stated to play just fine. If it builds any confidence, the 2.5 seconds I've seen so far looks really good.

I'll be back with comments.

Cheers!

Cato

Trond Saetre February 22nd, 2011 11:19 AM

Hi David, Happy birthday and welcome to the uwol family!

I enjoyed watching your film. Nice choice of music. And I agree with you, no need for narration here.
Amazing how the swimming birds didn't seem to be bothered by the waves.

Well done. I look forward to your next one!

David Chilson February 22nd, 2011 11:21 AM

Cato - Thanks for asking! Fifty-one and it seems so much older than fifty.

Trond, I appreciate that a lot.

When does UWOL 20 start?

Steve Siegel February 22nd, 2011 12:30 PM

Very nice, David. I like the way you were able to juxtapose the movement of the water and the steadiness of the land. Very effective. Not much shake in what was obviously a high wind, too. Where was this shot? I would love to find a spot where Goldeneyes and Buffleheads fly so close in. The only suggestion I would make would be to increase your contrast a bit while you are editing. Some of the scenes, especially near the beginning are a bit washed out.

Trond Saetre February 22nd, 2011 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Chilson (Post 1620803)
When does UWOL 20 start?

I believe Catherine mentioned April.
Signup thread will be available about a week or so before the fun begins.

Catherine Russell February 22nd, 2011 08:26 PM

Hi David:

I wanted to get to your entry on your Birthday! Nicely done, friend, what are you worried about? Your film is a nice contribution to the group. Since I have contact with the judge, as a rule my comments need to remain fairly neutral. I will say that I thought the kaleidoscopic patterns of moving ice on waves was mesmerizing and captivating and the shooting in black and white (did you? or were the whites and grays the only color that could be squeezed out of those frigid winter shots?) added to the drama and chill of your film. I liked your music choices and you did an excellent job of editing to fit motion to music. You certainly shot for the theme!

I hope you are having a wonderful birthday! You should celebrate your first UWOL entry (of many) along with being 51 years young!

Best,

Cat

Mick Jenner February 23rd, 2011 07:53 AM

Hi David,

Good filming and editing and the choice of music moved the whole piece along at a lovely pace.

Well done

Mick

Mike Sims February 23rd, 2011 10:12 AM

Hi David. I think you had the best entry this time theme-wise. The motion is great and your editing to the music is excellent. I agree, no VO is needed for this piece. I think many of your shots were a bit flat, probably due to the challenging subject matter. Ice is tough. I think you might crush the blacks a bit and then boost the saturation or vibrance. Altogether this is a very successful first entry. Congratulations. I hope you will be back for more.

David Elkins February 23rd, 2011 10:59 AM

Nicely done, David. It kept my interest throughout despite what may be considered limited subject matter. I look forward to seeing more of your work.