DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The UWOL Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/)
-   -   uwol 19 Northern Islands (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/492079-uwol-19-northern-islands.html)

Dale Guthormsen February 21st, 2011 05:42 PM

uwol 19 Northern Islands

Good evening,

Here the higherr resolution vimeo link of my contribution to uwol 19.

I spent two hours friday and fifteen minutes shooting saturday. I was just to raw to enjoy the shooting so rule 11 did not prevail until we got home and in the editing room! then Saturday I ended up having out of town company for 7.5 hours. Compelled to be done by midnight I put a wrap on it, only to realize I had sunday too!!

It is not much, I had some compression issues I have never had before, can be seen on the pans.

I may make this into a 30 minute video as I just do not cover it all in the 3 minutes!!

Hope it doesn't disappoint to much. It is the quickest I have ever done anything!!

I just blocked this video until the list is posted!!

Dale

Dale Guthormsen February 22nd, 2011 08:25 PM

Re: uwol 19 Northern Islands

I have reactivated the link

Mick Jenner February 23rd, 2011 08:11 AM

Hi Dale,

Looks pretty bleak up there at the moment! Enjoyed watching it, well done for getting it together in time to submit as an entry.

Like you I have been having compression issues. I usually encode in edius, but of late my pans and clips with a lot of movement in has a sort of stutter or jerkiness to it. Am just trying out TMPGEnc Video Mastering programe, have it on free trial at the moment so we will see what happens!

Mick

Mike Sims February 23rd, 2011 10:14 AM

Hey Dale. My already considerable admiration for your field skills just went up another notch. You put together another nice video under brutal conditions. Way to go. I agree, this would make a great subject for a longer piece. You have some pretty shots here and I thought comparing the areas outside of the refuge “islands” to the ocean abyss was poetry. Fingers crossed for an early spring!

Trond Saetre February 23rd, 2011 12:03 PM

Hi Dale,

You are right, I'd love to see an extended version of this one. Go for it!
As always, I am impressed by how you always seem to find the animals in the right places.
You have a secret language with them? haha

I notice you mention compression trouble. Do you also use Squeeze?

Well done! Thanks for sharing.

Catherine Russell February 23rd, 2011 02:13 PM

Hi Dale:

You never cease to amaze me how you can pull it off in the extremist conditions. You are a film soldier that always delivers, no matter what. I loved your dedication at the end. That was really creative work to find a thread and story with just a day of shooting. Well done, Dale. What a difference 6 months will make with the season change. I think back on your long form entry with you basking in your back yard with guitar in hand, your falcon on your knee and all that green!

Cat

Dale Guthormsen February 23rd, 2011 08:12 PM

Thank you for the nice comments. I went back and viewed it and wonder what happened at 55!!! Will have to go back to Vegas and se what was up with that!!!

This particular piece required a lot of color grading, used automatic white balance and it made everything look warm (which would normally be alright) but I wanted it to look as cold as I felt when I was out!

Yea, I talk to the animals but I don"t think they listen!!! When I tell them to be still they always move!!!

It has a been a brutally long winter with gales and extreme cold for what seems an eternity. Was out today and humped a mere 1/3 mile out to some cover and back and was glad to start up the darn truck!!!!

Thank you all again, wish I had taken more time to give you a better rendition.

Being I am noncompetitive on this one I went back and fixed the bug at 55
Relinked video

I plan to lengthen this up with add on shots this week and will post it when I get it done, or least semi respectable.