DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The UWOL Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/)
-   -   UWOL 25 - The Atlantic Forest - Paul Wood (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/515556-uwol-25-atlantic-forest-paul-wood.html)

Marj Atkins April 8th, 2013 01:50 PM

Re: UWOL 25 - The Atlantic Forest - Paul Wood

This was so well done Paul. As I was watching I was thinking that you did a very good impersonation of David Attenborough – and then to find your credit to him at the end just confirmed it. Your skills as a presenter are superb. I doubt I could ever stand in front of a camera with such aplomb – if at all! You have a very good, clear English accent (which rather surprised me as I was for some reason, expecting a Spanish accent). The information about the Atlantic Forest was really interesting. Sometimes the decisions we make can be so detrimental to our environment and concomitantly to the creatures that live there!

The sound is clear and the music is handled exceptionally well. While it lends a grandeur to the images of the forest, to me the music seemed rather Eastern in flavor for Brazil.

Your shots are well-considered, and support your story well. Titles are professionally done.

Your final time-lapse is outstanding – my favourite shot this round! It rounds off a well-polished film perfectly.

Paul Wood April 8th, 2013 05:40 PM

Dale - thanks! Actually, that shot was on my rejected list, but made it due to the inclement weather! If you need a commentary - just ask! (Im sure I'm reasonably priced!!!)

Oliver - I'm glad you enjoyed my film. I ended up using the same mic for the VO comments as for the on camera, as I could not get a good mix indoors - I actually sat outside one night, braving the bugs, to record!

Marj - many thanks for your compliments - in my draft ideas and screen tests to see if the idea worked, I did a passable Attenborough imitation ¨And here we are in Brazil....¨, but thought it was too corny!

I must admit, I didn't think of a Spanish accent, but maybe I will try and add a Fawlty Towers scene into my next project!

Actually, the more I think of re shooting,or dubbing with my Manuel ¨Hai come from Barcelona¨ accent...

p.s the main theme is titled ¨Columbian Exposition¨on Smartsound, but I liked the way it fitted with the panoramas
Thanks all for your comments!

Bill Thesken April 12th, 2013 10:06 PM

Nice work! The shot at 1:41 has an 'epic' feel to it.

Lorinda Norton April 20th, 2013 10:58 PM

Hello Paul,

Every superlative I had written down to tell you has been covered, from the great information to your excellent delivery and gorgeous images. I also found it intriguing that every bird you showed seemed to have a crest--some of them pretty scraggly looking. :)

One nit-picking suggestion I have that probably isn't well-founded, especially since no one else mentioned it, would be that you give longer fades in and out of your music, especially since you used quite a variety. If the music comes in too closely with the cut it seems a bit jarring and takes me out of the "story" for a moment. In this piece I think it only happened in a couple places and, as I said, I'm really using a fine-tooth comb here.

Overall, this is just an excellent piece. As Simon mentioned regarding his challenge videos, this works well as a stand-alone that you could show anywhere and be proud. I am really looking forward to watching more of your work!

Paul Wood April 22nd, 2013 05:40 AM

Thank you Lorinda,

No problem with nit picking! Thats how we improve!

I do plan a longer version of this, once I can get the wildlife shots I need, and I will look at the audio mix then. There are only two pieces of music - the title section, and the rest, but of course with Smartsound, you also get a lot of varieties to play with.

Im looking forward to the next challenge, be it the official one, or a collaborative one in the future!