DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The UWOL Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/)
-   -   UWOL"26 - "Coastal Camp" by Geir Inge B. Brekke (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/517482-uwol-26-coastal-camp-geir-inge-b-brekke.html)

Geir Inge July 1st, 2013 12:13 AM

UWOL"26 - "Coastal Camp" by Geir Inge B. Brekke

I have just started in my new job and the week before I was asked to be a teacher at The Coastal Camp at the island of Runde. Not only my favorite place but also a challanging task. 80 students from four different schools particapated for one week. I thought this could be a perfect angle to the theme impact.
We are teaching the students about the enviroment, life by the seashore, the birdlife and of course the gold and silver treasure found at Runde back in the 70's.
I had a little difficult to film as at the same time take care of the students, and of course film in a way I don't expoce them too much single, but as a group.
One episode is not on film but I can tell it here in the feedbacktread. One evening we had a trip to the clifs to see the puffins and it was magical. Not so much the puffins, of course they are magical.
I formed the rearguard and had told the student that they had to be quiet so that the puffins were not intimidated.
When I arrived as the last man, i did not asked a student if they had seen the puffins and got the answer: "Hush, you're scaring the birds". Haha, there sat on a row, 80 students aged 13 years and was quiet as a mouse. Absolutely magical. Some adults asked: Is it possible that so many young people gathered in one place can be so quiet?
On the way home, suddenly one of the boy took a plastic bag out of his backpack. I thought; what will he use it for?
He started to pick up the trash that others had thrown on the ground and took it home with him, and then put it in the garbage can.
Amazing to see! That is "impact" in a way I want grown ups to be, too ;o)
I think the camp was a life experience for the student, and that it influenced in a positive direction.
Because of the lack of suitable film, (I have to protect the students as there is too much focus on the individuals), I had to use some photos in some places.
Also much handheld clips and I use my quadro chopter to get areal shots.
Hope you enjoy the video and look forward to your comments with thanks.
I want to say thank you to Carherine and Chris for their help with my english :o)

Trond Saetre July 1st, 2013 05:00 AM

Re: UWOL"26 - "Coastal Camp" by Geir Inge B. Brekke

Hei Geir Inge,
Yet another great video with stunning shots from you! And the closing shot of the sunset was amazing.
The story was interesting, the music a good match.
Your handheld filming worked well.

Great mix between aerial and regular filming.
You should check the balance of the propellers. It appears one of them might be a bit off. And also have the gopro in the underwater housing will help get rid of the jello effects.)

Well done!

Steve Siegel July 1st, 2013 06:58 AM

Hi Geir Inge,

This was a good film and as usual your voiceover was the best part. The timelapse of the children walking and snaking along the trails was very effective. I don't think I have seen that before. One suggestion. I wonder how it would look to cross-dissolve successive stills instead of fading out and in?

Mikael Ewald July 1st, 2013 08:42 AM

Hi Geir-Inge!

The job you´ve got seems very interesting and must be very inspiring.
The film is great and I like the aerial shots a lot and overall the edit was very well done. Also the voiceover works very well.
Handeheld shots add some life and movement without being disturbing in any way.

Well done!

/Mikael Ewald

Catherine Russell July 1st, 2013 09:36 AM

Geir:

Your films always inspire me so. You have a way of pulling so much passion into your filmmaking I can't help but be very moved. I think who you are as a person rubs off in your films and makes them exceptionally special. I feasted on the panoramic views with the curvature of the earth in the wide angle shots and the sped up time laps of the students lifted this to extraordinary. As Steve said, that was very effective. The Island of Runde is a sanctuary of life that I would never get to experience if it were not for you. Thank you! The voiceover, music and wildlife simply filled me up :)

Cheers!

Cat

Paul Wood July 1st, 2013 03:59 PM

Hi Geir-Inge

Once again you surpass your previous films!

I loved the story, very nice photography, and the mix to aerial and time-lapse worked very well.

Of course, for me, the best is your voice over - it really brings the whole film together!
Very well done!

Kevin Railsback July 2nd, 2013 10:07 AM

Great film Geir!

Love teaching young adult to love and respect nature and wildlife. So many of us have done such a poor job being good stewards of the land that it's up to the next generation to save us from ourselves.

What a beautiful place to learn!

You must have been in seventh heaven being there and sharing you're love for nature.

Loved the aerial shots that gave us an overall-view of the area.

Have to say that I loved your VO as well. You're voice is so calm and soothing. Combined with the down home country style music it was just a feel good moment all the way around!

Geir Inge July 3rd, 2013 11:27 AM

Many thanks to all of you.
I will give my comments to your films tomorrow.
Have to watch them one more time, they are all very good.

Trond:
Thank you for feedback. It's always nice when two share the same hobby (The Phantom).
I have balanced propellers and made "almost" everything by the book, yet I get jello. The reason is probably that I'm running in GPS mode (ATTI mode is better for reducing jello) and turbulence. In addition, more shaking when one rotates, or flies downward. I'm using the waterproof house :)
Another issue that may reduce jello, a cushion or gasket. This I have not tested yet.
Then we have the sunlight (this is not jello) but a kind of flicker that comes when the sun is at a particular angle through the lens.

Steve:
Thank you for feedback and advice about cross-solve. I will try it out.
I'm not sure about my VO, but nice of you and it gives me more confidence.

Mikael:
Thanks for your feedback.
Being a teacher for one week was a great job. It's not my ordinary job though.
I had difficulty filming as teacher job was my primary job was to educate the students and not running around with my video camera. Still, I get to run off to shoot these video :)
I have filmed a lot on the island of Runde, so maybe it will be boring for those of you who have seen my other Uwol videos.

Catherine:
Thanks for the nice comments, you are an angel.
I really appreciate your beautiful words and I'm very glad you're back in the bunch.
This week, as the camp teacher is one of my best on the island Runde.
Wish everyone involved in Uwol got to experience it.
Maybe I can influence (impact) you to come?

Paul:
Thanks for the nice feedback.
I get a little embarrassed when several of you mention my VO.
I am very grateful, yet it is the bit I feel most insecure of, haha.

Kevin:
Thanks for the nice comments.
I love the island Runde and could have lived there permanently, but it is unfortunately not possible, haha.
My biggest challenge in this round of Uwol was getting time to film while I was teaching the students.
I also have to fit in and not expose individuals but rather as a group.
On the island of Runde, there are many dangerous places where you can fall off the steep cliff.
With 80 students plodding around, I'd wish I had eyes in my neck, haha.
All pupils were fortunately good to obey orders, and had exemplary behavior.
Several of the students shushed me when we visited the place puffins nest.
A fun experience, I am 54 years of age and is put in place by the boys and girls 13 years of age, haha.
Just have to love those kids.

Andrew Hood July 3rd, 2013 09:19 PM

Really well put together - nice flow, and you managed a good variety of shots with limited time. The stills seemed like a way to complete the film under those constraints - and blended fairly well.

Good to see the younger generation getting involved - and yes you would want extra eyes on them.
I can see why you like the place, and you were able to convey a lot of its natural beauty through the film.

Geir Inge July 4th, 2013 08:03 AM

Hi Andrew and thanks for the nice feedback.

I like it very well on the island of Runde, it is an adventurous and wonderful place to be.
The island and its inhabitants, allow me for a moment, to forget what lies beyond.
The students were good at taking orders,
but clearly we are concerned with the potential dangers on the island.
No one has mentioned it, but if anyone is wondering, I can tell that it is not I who chuckles at the beginning and end of the movie, haha. It is reminiscent of laughter but is actually the puffins sound.