DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The UWOL Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/)
-   -   UWOL "get together" event 2016? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/526664-uwol-get-together-event-2016-a.html)

Trond Saetre January 30th, 2015 09:56 AM

UWOL "get together" event 2016?

Hi everyone,

About a year or so after we got the UWOL Challenge up and running many years ago, we talked a little about having a "get together" somewhere in the world. That hasn't happened yet...

So, after talking about it with Kevin, we thought it was about time to post this and find out if there is any interest to try again to make it happen.

Initial thoughts:
Traveling around the world is expencive, so people would probably need some time to save up for such a trip.
Would a years planning/saving be good? Say if a "get together" would happen sometime during 2016?
I guess the exact time frame would depend of the season and the location.
Before we make any specific plans about location and time, I would like to hear what you guys and girls think about it.

Maybe this could be a way to get the "UWOL Around the world" project back too. Just a thought.

Your thoughts and ideas are most welcome.

Kevin Railsback January 30th, 2015 11:53 AM

Re: UWOL "get together" event 2016?

Well you know I'm game for it Trond.

Obviously location will dictate how many people will go do to different air fares.
Like I can fly to the Bahamas for half of what it costs to fly to Hawaii.

Course if we all ganged up at Meryem's place in Colordao that would be a cheap direct flight for me. :)

But getting the wheels in motion now is the best way to get as many people as possible so that they can save up, schedule vacation etc.

I already have my passport do lets go! :)

Trond Saetre January 30th, 2015 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Railsback (Post 1875228)
Obviously location will dictate how many people will go do to different air fares.

Very true, and cost is a big factor for how many can participate. Should have this in mind when we later deside a location and time.

Everyone, keep the thoughts and ideas flowing.

Meryem Ersoz January 30th, 2015 12:09 PM

I'm voting for Norway. It may be the only way to get my lazy butt to Kvamsoy.....

Chris Hurd January 30th, 2015 12:57 PM

For many years, we've been hosting a DVi get-together at NAB.

In the past, when you've seen me make an "NAB Roll Call" post such as this one, I'm actually using that thread to build an invitation list. The itself event is no big secret, but the venue in which we host it is small (very comfortable! but small), and for that reason I can't put the info out in full public view. But, whoever responds to those threads gets an email in return inviting them to our annual NAB party. It's a great way to put DVi names to faces. It's my favorite social event of the year. There are no presentations or speeches or any structuring of that sort -- it's just a relaxed, casual meet & greet at a cool little bar in Las Vegas not far from the convention center. Did I mention the drinks are free?

So for any UWOLers planning to make the trip to NAB this year, please keep an eye out for my NAB Roll Call post, because it would just be so awesome if y'all could come and join us at our little private party.

Trade shows are great to build this type of meeting around. If I can get back to IBC -- not sure I can do it this year, but hopefully in 2016 -- then we'll definitely host a DVi gathering there in Amsterdam. Meanwhile, if you folks decide on some future place and time in 2016 not related to an industry event, then I'd love to join you there and who know, maybe pick up the bar tab as well.

Trond Saetre January 30th, 2015 01:02 PM

Chris, you are always welcome to any uwol event!
Without dvinfo, uwol wouldn't exist.

Kevin Railsback January 30th, 2015 04:30 PM

I'd go to Norway too Meryem. Such beautiful scenery and we have so many great filmmakers we know there.

Bob Safay January 30th, 2015 05:42 PM

I would definitely do Norway. Bob

Mick Jenner January 31st, 2015 08:54 AM

I would vote Norway. Just remember, and I am sure Trond will back me up here, getting there is one thing, the cost of living whilst there is another. Maybe once the venue is decided then putting together some sort of package in order to get discounts is the next step for where ever we end up.

Mick

Trond Saetre January 31st, 2015 09:02 AM

Mick is correct about Norway being expensive.

Right now, the Norwegian currency is very weak against Euro and US dollars, which makes it better for visitors. But nobody knows how that situation is next year.

No matter where we go, Norway or elsewhere, we should try to get a "group discount" for the accommodation. I use to say that everything can be negotiated.

Glad to see the positive response we get to this idea.

Geir Inge February 1st, 2015 02:34 PM

I would love to join in for a uwol gathering.
Furthermore, there are several places I'd love to visit, such as: USA (Grand Canyon, Colorado and Alaska), England (Hebrides, Shetland Islands, Lundy Island), Australia to name a few.
Although the details may come at a later date, we may mention some details?
For example, how many days and content? I guess this will have an impact on the cost and where to go?

Trond Saetre February 1st, 2015 03:46 PM

This will of course have to be discussed, but my thoughts are that if someone travel halfway around the world, they would like to have enough time to explore the area they visit.
With this in mind, how about a week? Opinions are of course most welcome.

Regarding content, my initial thoughts:
Most important: Get together and get to know each other. Have a good time together.
Then of course exploring the area we visit. As an example: If we visit Geir Inge's area, I am sure we would like to see where he has recorded some of his uwol films.
And as the film makers we are, I belive everyone of us bring a camera when we are traveling to a new place. At least I always do.

Feel free to bring any thoughts and ideas.

Kevin Railsback February 1st, 2015 05:25 PM

I'd say at least a week.
If I wanted to do longer I'd go off on my own and explore but a week is a good timeframe to get to know a place a bit.

Maybe a welcome and farewell dinner where we all get together to get introduced and say our goodbyes.

Then if I'm in Norway, Africa, Australia or even her in the US I'm up before dawn, filming until the light is bad then picking up again in the late afternoon when the light is good again. In between those times is a perfect time to bond as a group

Dale Guthormsen February 2nd, 2015 04:54 PM

Hello friends,

It has been some time sence things fell aprat here in my life. I have thought of you often. I even tried to film a few times for the uwol and just couldn't finish for who knows what reason.
I think a get together would be rather awesome, I would try to make it if at all possible, particularly if I do not have to fly. After two helicopter crashes in the past I do not fly well!!!! however they do make nice little pink pills that really make the anxiety go away!!

I was wondering if people would be up for a camp out affair at the rockies or somewhere dramatic. of course it could be anywhere and I am sure it would be a blast!!
People flying in could fly to someones location then do a ride along to the final destination, etc.
Nab is a rather cool idea in its own right and flights in to vegas are cheap.

time of year???

thank you tronde for keeping in touch with me.

Dale

Trond Saetre February 3rd, 2015 02:12 PM

Just to get an idea of airfare costs around the globe, I checked some prices if traveling from Oslo, Norway to a couple different locations.

Checked prices are roundtrips in the first half of August 2015, and used KLM/ Northwest airline as reference, as they in my experience often is average or below average prices.

Notice that from the middle of June until the middle of August is usually the most expencive time to travel in Europe (especially northern part) due to the summer holidays. Not sure about other parts of the world.

Oslo, Norway to Las Vegas, USA: (since Grand Canyon and NAB was mentioned): About 1500 USD.
Oslo, Norway to Sydney, Australia: About 2100 USD
Oslo, Norway to Honolulu, Hawaii: About 2000 USD
Oslo, Norway to Johannesburg, South Africa: About 1100 USD