DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The UWOL Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/)
-   -   UWOL 35 - Tales of wonders and woes (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/529277-uwol-35-tales-wonders-woes.html)

Trond Saetre August 2nd, 2015 11:38 AM

UWOL 35 - Tales of wonders and woes

The good, the bad and the ugly.
This is the place to share your experiences during the making of your UWOL35 films.

Bring the stories, and make sure to pay special attention to the extremely important Rule 11!

Steve Siegel August 2nd, 2015 06:28 PM

Re: UWOL 35 - Tales of wonders and woes

I went out today to do some filming and got caught in a Podunk speed trap. Cost me $200.00 and the birds weren't even there. Bummer.

Paul Wood August 2nd, 2015 10:09 PM

I managed to get some b roll footage shot yesterday for my main idea - the main event is in a couple of weeks, so time to get more planning done!
Bad luck with the fien, Steve :(

Trond Saetre August 3rd, 2015 01:31 AM

Hopefully it will only get better from now, Steve, and that you find your birds. That fine sucks!

Only b-roll footage for me so far. I think my idea is still lost in space.

Marj Atkins August 3rd, 2015 05:04 AM

I am blown away. I spent a bit of time at the weekend considering different fun ideas for this topic. Most would need some effort.

I thought I would do a little research on the internet this morning for more ideas and found a load of information.The different angles one can take on this topic is almost limitless. Unfortunately time is definitely not limitless. It's also winter here - not many opportunities to find some of these things.

Just hope I don't end up with three minutes of aquarium scenes accompanied by relaxing music which at this point could be a real possibility!

Mike Sims August 3rd, 2015 06:42 AM

Hey, an aquarium video with relaxing music is fine by me. Music videos do work. I have seen it! ;) When I began keeping aquariums as a boy in the 1960’s an older gentleman gave me a large stack of old aquarium magazines, some dating back to the 1930’s. For many years one magazine printed their motto on every title page- “No man ever suffered a heart attack who simply sat and watched his aquarium.” There’s a lot of truth in that. (At least there was until people began keeping very expensive and delicate salt-water specimens!!!)

Hang in there, Steve! I don’t know a single serious birder (including me!) that hasn’t had that happen to them at some point.

Well, I have had the shortest Plan A in history. Just ten minutes after I posted in the other thread I realized it wouldn’t work. The life-cycle of the organism I wanted to work with was short enough but I figured out that the prep work and set-up for the one crucial shot would take me beyond the deadline. I cast about for a Plan B. Eventually I decided I would use a technique I’ve been using for a while but have not yet had a chance to share with UWOL. So far, so good, but what about a story? I have come up with one (and am trying to think of a better one) but it requires a good deal of “wrong side of the camera” work. You’ve all seen I’m not terribly comfortable with that. Alas, it is good to occasionally push the comfort envelope. I don’t have a clue what the ending might be because the story involves me doing an experiment I have not yet tried. What fun! Rule 11 and I haven’t even shot a frame yet…

Kevin Railsback August 3rd, 2015 07:50 AM

I'm thinking about doing a Yeti fluff piece like back in the old days. We'll see how it goes.

Vishal Jadhav August 3rd, 2015 08:42 AM

I am travelling for few days now, just managed to check mails and other topics now.

The first plan I had was to do this video with gopro only, this plan now has become hazy not sure if I will do it.

Now thinking of a new plan, don't be surprised if I still manage to get my plan A rejuvenate in time.

Currently shot nothing tomorrow I have to try a few things let's see what happens.

Trond Saetre August 3rd, 2015 01:47 PM

Marj, I'm sure you could turn an aquarium film into some exciting story. :)

Trond Saetre August 8th, 2015 02:21 AM

How is everyone doing?
Ideas are flowing and busy days filming?

Bryce Comer August 8th, 2015 08:56 AM

I have an idea!!! Woohooo! Better find some time & get out and shoot some stuff.

Paul Wood August 9th, 2015 12:01 AM

Well I seem to be having some summertime problems - the daytime temperature here has been over 36º for the last 6 weeks or so - often up to 39-40, which is not so usual. This has led to the structure of my south facing office/ edit room heating up considerably, despite having the small window and shutters closed all day, and for the past three or four days has led me to have computer overheating issues - registering an ambient temperature of over 30º, and causing me some concern.

With luck the month will allow me some early hours of the morning editing - nighttime has started dropping below 25º!

Mike Sims August 9th, 2015 06:41 AM

I understand that, Paul! I’m operating in the same temperature range myself right now. I had to add a liquid CPU cooler to the editing machine to keep from constant overheating. My issue for this video is that one component in the apparatus I am building is not rated for constant use without active cooling. I have added some small fans but I fear they may not be “active” enough at 40 degrees. I bought some spares but my big fear is that I will get the device working but still have to reschedule the shoot to cooler months. Even if I can get things working the subjects may not cooperate in this heat. August is brutal and with El Niño there is no sign of the monsoon.

Mick Jenner August 9th, 2015 09:02 AM

Hi Mike and Paul, wish I could add heat as a problem! So far summer can be counted on the fingers of one hand and even those days are not consecutive. My idea so far has been compromised with winds. Hopefully I can try again later in the week.

Andrew Hood August 10th, 2015 05:00 AM

So far I've ventured into the target environment a couple of times, and taken a few photos. Lighting has been quite varied; weather and time of day will make a big difference fer getting what I'm after. I'd say I have a basic enough, but workable idea. Just need to get out a few times with the gear and make it happen. So not much to show for the first half of the month, but hopefully finish something by the end of it.