DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The UWOL Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/)
-   -   UWOL#35 - Winter Wilderness - by Andrew Hood (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/529620-uwol-35-winter-wilderness-andrew-hood.html)

Andrew Hood September 4th, 2015 04:41 AM

UWOL#35 - Winter Wilderness - by Andrew Hood

I finally get the chance to use snow in a UWOL video, and skiing can even fit the theme, but didn't get up there enough to make the video and story I wanted, All the footage was shot in the one outing, most of it in a very small area (you can probably tell). This was pieced together from what I had shot - quite a few of the shots in there I wouldn't normally use if I had more choice. But I figured something was better than nothing.

I had wanted at least another outing, ideally 2-3 more. Would have been good to have fresh snow on the trees for some of it - wanted some visual variety. There are so many other locations to film that would look great in the national park, but time constraints meant a limited selection on that day.

Lots of shortcomings; everything from just using the camera + tripod upside down to stabilise the moving shots - but couldn't get the balance point right. Didn't get much clean audio on location. Not enough different shots or locations. Editing was rushed at the last minute without even colour correcting any footage, and just vaguely put into some 'sequence' of shots. No time left for voice over this round, or figuring out music, just scraping out of the shark tank.

The plan was to show the alpine environment in winter in Australia. To show it being explored by someone out skiing - hence the locomotion. I thought of starting by setting the scene of the unique wilderness, and then slowly introduce glimpses of skis and gradually the skier. Then show the skier exploring and a bit of skiing in general (just different ways of getting around on snow - up, down, on flats, etc). Throughout there would have been a variety of terrain and visually distinct areas. Then wrap it up - so aiming for 10 times better than what you're watching here, but hopefully you can see a contrast to Europe and America - the snowgums for a start - sprawling trees with coloured bark. And maybe I should rope a few more people in next time, rather than being on both sides of the camera.

Curious about your thoughts and ideas, as it's a video I want to revisit (and do properly), but that will have to wait until next year, the snow is quite sparse now.

Marj Atkins September 4th, 2015 11:40 AM

Re: UWOL#35 - Winter Wilderness - by Andrew Hood

Hi Andrew

This is a fascinating film.

I simply love your title!! It is simple and elegant and it is followed by a stunning opening scene - in fact I found your film aesthetically pleasing from start to end. The shots are well thought through, well framed and the pans and tilts nicely controlled. I am fascinated by the stunning shots of the tree bark – beautifully done.

The locomotion theme is not very strong in this piece though and it lacks a good strong story. I like your idea of using natural sound only.

Paul Wood September 4th, 2015 03:21 PM

Hi Andrew,

I think you said it yourself - nice footage, and of course I enjoyed the snow in Aus, but there was a distinct lack of story - maybe even a bit of voiceover explaining what we were seeing would have been better - but, hey, you managed to get something filmed and submitted, so well done!

Kevin Railsback September 4th, 2015 04:13 PM

Andrew!

Wow, beautiful film! It's the kind of film I love to make myself!!

Those trees are unreal! Reminds me of those rainbow trees in Hawaii.

I think if you tightened up the edit a bit then you'd have motion either by something in the frame or by the camera itself and the entire film would encompass some type of locomotion.

I know Marj and Paul feel it lacks a story but what does it need one? It's a sanity saver pure and simple.
Nature doesn't always have to tell a story. I love nature because of how it makes me feel.

You film makes me feel serene and refreshed. To me it did it's job perfectly. Nature doesn't always explain itself and as filmmakers I don't think we have to either.

Beautiful work!

Mick Jenner September 5th, 2015 06:40 AM

Andrew, great idea to introduce the world to the fact that Australia does have some snow! In true Michael Caine mode "Not a lot of people know that" You have the basis of something quite good here. In your pre amble you have already hi-lited well the shortcomings and how you can improve things. As I have said in my comments on Geirs post as well, you need something at the start that shouts out this is about a journey you should not have to read the notes to understand that. Years ago I was told a picture (still) illustrates a wriiiten story a film should tell you a story. Hope that doesn't sound brutal, its something I always try to remember when I plan a shoot, not always successfully may I add.

Well filmed, enjoyed watching. Mick

Geir Inge September 5th, 2015 08:51 AM

Hi Andrew.
Then I learned something new, did not think you had snow or went cross-country skiing in Australia.
It is we Norwegians are born with skis on, you've got surfboards, haha.
I love your movie, you have a twist and approach to the topic that is elegant and entertaining.
The effect created when you ski through the woods is just absolutely wonderful.
The soundtrack is great, as is the editing.
You hit the jackpot with this one.

Thanks for sharing and wish you all well.

Trond Saetre September 6th, 2015 11:03 AM

Hi Andrew,

This is the first time an Australian UWOL entry is about skiing and snow. Very cool!

Those snowgum trees definitely make a big contrast to winter here in Norway. Never seen them before.
I hope you follow up this one as you mentioned and let us see the future extended version.

Some repetitive shots of you skiing, could have been changed by moving the camera to a slightly different location. Maybe you have some small hills there, so you could have a little variation of the skiing sequences: Flat, uphill,downhill.. I would also like to see a little more of the scenery in the area to better give the audience an idea of how the location is.

Thanks for sharing! Well done.