DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The UWOL Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/)
-   -   Tribute by Kevin J Railsback UWOL Fun Shoot 2015 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/530012-tribute-kevin-j-railsback-uwol-fun-shoot-2015-a.html)

Kevin Railsback October 13th, 2015 04:36 AM

Tribute by Kevin J Railsback UWOL Fun Shoot 2015

1 Attachment(s)
Since this was an anything goes fun shoot I thought I'd go with human nature instead of my usual nature nature. :)

I think sometimes you have to do something outside the norm to come back to your passion refocused.

Here Come the Mummies don't just put on a concert, they put on an event. People come from all over to see them. My friend Missy drove ten hours from Indiana to catch this concert.

Anyway, I wanted to put together some footage from the concert since this would be the last time I saw Java perform with the Mummies. I just used the default iPhone camera app which worked out pretty good I think.

Only had a handful of video clips since I focused on taking stills to get some good images to have canvas prints made up for the rest of the band members to sign at future concerts.

BTW, the Mummies give all their music away for free so you can go to their website and download their entire music library for free.

The also broadcast the concert live so here's a screenshot from that. Not too hard to find me in the crowd. :)

Feel free to drag it through there trash with comments if you like. :)

Gordon Hoffman October 13th, 2015 07:34 AM

Re: Tribute by Kevin J Railsback UWOL Fun Shoot 2015

Hey Kevin I have to admit this is not to bad. Not my normal music listening but not to bad. What I find interesting is you shot it on an iPhone. Did you use any kind of stabilization as they seem hard to hold very steady yet your shots looked pretty good.
I hope it gets your focus back.

Gordon

Kevin Railsback October 13th, 2015 09:33 AM

Gordon,

The Mummies play terrifying funk from beyond the grave so it's certainly not everyone's cup of tea. :)
The crowds really get into them and we have Everlasting Parties! :)

The iPhone 6s Plus has optical stabilization, plus I used to be a still photographer way before IS and autofocus were around so I learned to be pretty steady handholding without using any kind of stabilization.

Thanks for taking a look!

Tim Lewis October 13th, 2015 10:21 AM

Hi Kevin

I enjoyed that. The band has plenty of energy and seem to enjoy performing.

I noticed that many of the shots, although not all, seemed to have been taken maybe during other parts of the performance and not just that song. There were sync issues with voices and instruments that were noticeable to a musician, but did not interfere with the feel and energy of the video. There were other sections like the drums solo where it was right on the money, so I suspect the extra footage was to make up shots and cover camera movements. Overall I think you produced a convincing video of there performance that was not aiming or meant to be a "music video", but a faithful video of their music.

I thought you did really well with the audio. Is that the live audio?

Kevin Railsback October 13th, 2015 10:29 AM

Tim,

Thanks for taking the time to check out the video.

Actually they never even performed that song in concert. In all the concerts I've seen them I've never heard them perform "The Now"
It's just one of my favorite tunes of theirs and since I only had a few clips from the whole concert, I cut and pasted from several songs to splice together what you saw.

A big Here Comes the Mummies fan will know what songs they are just of what they are doing on stage.

The shot of Jave counting to three on his fingers is while they're doing the song "Single, Double, Triple".
The clips where they're waving the purple flags is from the tune "Freak Flag"

So maybe about eight video clips total from maybe four or five songs all combines together to make this one film.

The drums being spot on was just luck. I think that was for the song "Funky Little Baby"

Catherine Russell October 13th, 2015 11:34 AM

Kevin!

Oh my, oh my, oh my! Where ever you point your camera magic happens! :) I have never even heard of these guys and they were fantastic! A tribute you set out to do and a tribute you did. You capture their energy, their performance zeal and of course their amazing talent. It just speaks for itself, plain and simple.

I think you underplay the difficulty of getting workable shots in a massive, moving crowd. The footage you took on your iPhone isn't discernible from footage you spliced in from other music videos.... wow!?

This was fun and solid, Kevin. I also know you and your incredible talent in capturing nature happening in its own light show. Just a thought, but after seeing this I thought it would have been cool to have worked your nature footage in somehow, as a compare and contrast sort of thing between human nature and nature nature.

It's so nice to catch up with you friend. I know, it's been awhile!

Sincerely,
Cat

Trond Saetre October 13th, 2015 12:27 PM

The Yeti master strikes again, bringing life to the ancient mummies from nature of the other world!
Well done, Kevin!

I agree with Catherine, it was difficult or impossible to see the differences between iphone footage and the other footage.
Cool music too. I like them.

Oh, and yes, it was easy to spot you in the crowd, haha.

Steve Siegel October 13th, 2015 05:20 PM

Kevin,
It's nice to see that other world you shoot in. The fact that these guys are such skilled musicians makes even punk rock enjoyable. The only thing I was going to comment on was that a lot of the action occurred too close to the top of the frame, and sometimes tops of heads got cut off. That was before I realized you were shooting with a cell phone! Amazing.

Kevin Railsback October 14th, 2015 04:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Steve,

Not to mention that I was trying to watch the concert while I was filming. :)

It was certainly hard trying to keep them in frame when they'd run right up to the edge of the stage and lean right into the camera. :)

Geir Inge October 15th, 2015 03:44 AM

Hi Kevin.

Can't help it, but I do love funky music.
This was great and I'm glad that this fun shoot let us deliver something else, than our usual Uwol videos.
I can't believe you pull it off with just a cell phone.
I guess the sound is made in studio?
You're a true wizzard.
Thanks for sharing and good to see some of your work again, old chap :)

Cheers!

Paul Wood October 15th, 2015 08:33 AM

Kevin,

Great track, and the video was excellent! - Shot on an iPhone 6 - pretty impressive stuff! next you’ll say you edited it one iMovie on your phone, although I’m sure that is possible.

Was very nice to see a different face of one of our fellow UWOL film makers, in fact it gives me an idea to send to Trond for the next fun shoot (a la Monty Python) and now for something completely different !

Vishal Jadhav October 17th, 2015 03:07 AM

Interesting subject chosen
I like the fact that it was shot on iphone and that steady , the quality is pretty neat