DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The UWOL Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/)
-   -   Falls on Falls Branch by Mark Williams - UWOL Fun Shoot 2015. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/530013-falls-falls-branch-mark-williams-uwol-fun-shoot-2015-a.html)

Mark Williams October 13th, 2015 05:15 AM

Falls on Falls Branch by Mark Williams - UWOL Fun Shoot 2015.

This is a re-edit of a video I shot when I first got my Panasonic GH4 which replaced my HPX170. Feel free to comment.

Gordon Hoffman October 13th, 2015 07:20 AM

Re: Falls on Falls Branch by Mark Williams - UWOL Fun Shoot 2015.

Mark I have to confess that I think I've watched every video you have posted in the Under Water Over Land forum. I always found them very relaxing to watch. Just wondered why you never showed up here in the UWOL Challenge. I learn a few things watching your stuff and the use of the motion blur filter was one of them. Anyway welcome to UWOL and as usual this was very relaxing.

Gordon

Mark Williams October 13th, 2015 07:39 AM

Thanks Gordon. I am glad that you enjoyed it. I finally entered because I liked the premise of the Fun Shoot.

Tim Lewis October 13th, 2015 09:56 AM

I would have to agree with Gordon, Mark, it is a very peaceful film. You have used a good selection of medium and longer shots, but what I find really nice is the close ups. You have a good eye for the small things!

Did you record the water noise separately? Or did you extract the audio from some footage and use that? The water sound was very clean and continuous over the first half of the footage. The section that was next was close ups without water in shot. I felt it may have been enhanced by faint water noise is the background to suggest closeness to the water. Maybe those shots were not close to the water, though?

You did a good audio mix with the music, although I found in the part where the music overwhelmed the water noise I found myself wanting to hear the water as well. Then, just as the music tapered off the water noise was present again, relieving the tension, well done.

Mark Williams October 13th, 2015 10:07 AM

Thanks Tim. The audio was recorded on camera. I have been working diligently on audio in my more recent videos. Yes, I like to work up close as there are not many sweeping vistas in my neck of the woods. Most of my videos have the same feel. My goal is to try to capture the essence of the location in hopes that others will be motivated to experience it.

Trond Saetre October 13th, 2015 01:07 PM

Hi Mark,

This was nice, and I had to watch it again several times. You have a talent for composing the shots!
Loved the close ups and shallow focus with the insects, and at 0:56 the insect crawling out of focus. Pretty cool!

Music was a great match to the visuals.

I really hope you stay with us and participate in the future UWOL Challenges.
Well done!

Mark Williams October 13th, 2015 01:30 PM

Thanks Trond.

Catherine Russell October 13th, 2015 01:38 PM

Hi Mark:

I agree with Trond on this one. We have another master cinematographer in the group and this is a sincere compliment. You and Geir are of the same stock :), good for you!

Scene composition, light capture, mastery of your camera - macro or not, and music selection render this an enchanting and magical submission. Thanks for the reverie, it is beautifully done!

Sincerely,
Cat

Mark Williams October 13th, 2015 02:30 PM

Cat, thanks for the nice compliment.

Kevin Railsback October 13th, 2015 02:59 PM

Mark,

Wonderful film! Very serene!!

I like that even though the Falls were the "star" attraction, the cast of "supporting actors" really shined through your cinematography.

Everything fit together wonderfully. The subjects, the compositions, the sounds, the music. It's the total package!

Hope we see you here next month for the challenge!!

Paul Wood October 15th, 2015 08:45 AM

Hi Mark,

Nice to see you submitting an entry for UWOL - some beautiful images here - especially the time-lapse footage shows the falls in a special way - your film shows a relaxing location with some nice shots of the surroundings - the overall effect is a very good, and fits well with the music track.

A super film to relax by!

Bob Safay October 15th, 2015 11:55 AM

Mark, an other excellent video. Like the others, I think I have watched everything you ever did and enjoyed every one of them. I would have loved to have entered the fun shoot, but unfortunately ( or fortunately ) I am in Italy and Switzerland, and could not get to enter one of my videos this time. However, as successful as this fun shoot appears to be, I will definitely enter the next one. Thanks for always sharing such beautiful work. Bob

Mark Williams October 15th, 2015 12:14 PM

Bob, good to hear from you. I have followed your travels via your videos. Looks like retirement is suiting you well.

Mark Williams October 15th, 2015 12:16 PM

Kevin, Paul, thanks for viewing and the nice compliment.

Geir Inge October 16th, 2015 04:25 AM

Hi Mark.

I must say, this was simply a lovely video.
It took me from the first moment, and suddenly at 0:37 comes the plants with raindrops and insects. It was absolutely magical.
The composition is clean and nice, with appropriate music and background sound.
The only thing I have to put my finger on, is that you fade out too quickly.
This is no biggie, just my personal opinion.
Thanks for sharing and hope you join the next round.

Cheers!