DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The UWOL Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/)
-   -   Just a wild idea (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/531567-just-wild-idea.html)

Catherine Russell April 6th, 2016 10:45 AM

Just a wild idea

Hi Trond and everyone:

Just throwing this out there since Trond is a fantastic site-manager and willing to try new things. :)

What if just once there is a UWOL Team Challenge where we all sign up, receive a theme and play as usual, but instead of just ourselves, we are assigned a partner from the list of those who are interested in accepting the challenge as being a part of a team. Trond could assign the partners and the teams coordinate via email behind the scenes, come up with their storyboard and shoot film from different parts of the world and come up with their own team version of their entry to the UWOL Challenge.

Of course there are lots of obstacles to this, working with others half-way around the world, but then again it could be fun not to mention how interesting the entries could be. UWOL has really unique and formidable talent amongst its members. Why not add collaboration to the mix just to shake things up a bit!

Cheers! and hope all of you guys are having fun "recreating" for this current challenge!

--Cat

Kevin Railsback April 6th, 2016 12:04 PM

Re: Just a wild idea

It could be fun.
Everyone has different strengths and weaknesses and hopefully people would know what was a strength and what was a weakness.
Sometimes with creative people it's hard to give up the reigns and let someone else work with their baby.

I'd team up with you any time Cat!

Catherine Russell April 6th, 2016 12:48 PM

"Everyone has different strengths and weaknesses and hopefully people would know what was a strength and what was a weakness."

LOL!

I'm yours as a team, anytime Kevin! ;-)

Steve Siegel April 6th, 2016 03:32 PM

Cat,

This is a REALLY good idea.

Trond Saetre April 7th, 2016 01:49 AM

I like the idea and it could be tried once in a while.
In my opinion this falls well within the UWOL spirit of pushing yourself to become better filmmakers.

Maybe even extend that/those challenge(s) to 1,5 or even 2 months instead of the usual one. (Just throwing out thoughts here)

Keep the ideas flowing.

Marj Atkins April 7th, 2016 02:00 AM

A very nice idea!

Mike Sims April 7th, 2016 06:53 AM

My, my, my! You leave the kids alone for a while and they paint the house purple and toss the best furniture on the curb. ;) Seriously, I can’t wait to see what you folks come up with by the time I return to the land of reliable internet. (I’m still working in a location where the web is forty miles away and the road doesn’t go there- I have to detour around two mountain ranges first.) I haven’t even been able to watch any of your recent videos yet. I hope to be back before the next Challenge with some footage you might like to see. It sure is reassuring to pop in now and then and see that you are all doing well and that Trond has a steady hand on the UWOL tiller. I’m also glad to see that plans for the get-together are well in hand. I wish I could attend. I should be well into the next phase of this project at that time. I hope that someone is starting to think about the big UWOL tenth anniversary at the end of the year. At the very least we need to organize delivery of a big bunch of roses and thank-you card for Meryem and something nice for Chris too. (I’m in. PM me payment details and I’ll get it done ASAP.)

I won’t be able to read any of your comments for a couple of weeks. Best wishes, all.
Mike

Trond Saetre April 7th, 2016 08:40 AM

Hi Mike, good to hear from you again. I look forward to see the footage you mentioned.
Hope your project goes well.

Catherine Russell April 7th, 2016 08:50 AM

Hi Mike! I don't know where you are or what you are doing, but is sounds adventurous and exciting. When you can, fill me in with a sentence or two! All the best!

Now your idea about the card and roses is a great idea, but leave the roses to me. Meryem has moved to a beautiful new home with an awesome fire pit and coyotes yelping out her back window. We have been chatting for some time now when I can come by for a visit, and this will be the most perfect excuse to head that way. :) As for the cards to Chris and Meryem, how about "we", (Trond) put up a thread that we all sign in appreciation for all that they have done to bring UWOL into the world. Just thinkin', which is rare, I know.

As for the team UWOL idea, it could be a positive change up, even if it is just once as a tryout. Among several potential benefits, one upshot would be to even the playing field a bit concerning what is placed before us to shoot for content. Dale never ceases to amaze me what he can pull out of snow and wind for many months out of the year. Just think of what he might do if he has a few clips from the tropics to work with! Don't mean to put you on the spot, Dale! This goes for everyone who wants to give this a go.

... I can only imagine a few entry titles in a team UWOL challenge... 'Massive Plate Tectonic Shift Floats Iowa to the Norwegian Coast', or, 'The Day the Blizzard Came to the Tropics' ... ha! :)

Geir Inge April 8th, 2016 06:03 AM

I don't think it's a wild idea, Catherine.
I think it's a great idea and as Trond would say: It will be fun too :)
Spring is approaching here up north.
So good to see that the ideas bloom here in the forum as well.
It bodes well for the future.

Cheers!
With a little help from google translate ;o)

Trond Saetre April 8th, 2016 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geir Inge (Post 1912317)
...as Trond would say: It will be fun too :)

You know me very well :)