DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The UWOL Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/)
-   -   UWOL#38-Recreation "Refreshment of one's mind and body" by Bob Safay (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/531818-uwol-38-recreation-refreshment-ones-mind-body-bob-safay.html)

Bob Safay May 9th, 2016 11:38 AM

UWOL#38-Recreation "Refreshment of one's mind and body" by Bob Safay

I got lucky this time as I had already planed a trip to the Okefenokee Swamp in southern Georgia. The weather was perfect. In the beginning of the video I used three previously videoed clips. I used these to set the stage which was traveling and shooting videos. All video was shot on the Canon XF300. Enjoy. Bob

Geir Inge May 9th, 2016 12:33 PM

Re: UWOL#38-Recreation "Refreshment of one's mind and body" by Bob Safay

Hi Bob.

Something I want to ask you about, but dared not - until now :)
Is your name Robert or Bob?
I know that in the United States often said Bob to the ones named Robert.
I'm just curious at this, hope you bear with me and my curiosity.

OK then.
You deliver a good video, this round as well.
I've said it before and say it again gladly.
You have a voice that is created to tell stories.
I listen intense for your videos, so also with this one.
You have a nice approach to the theme and there is a good mix between VO, music and background sound. The editing is great.
I have some questions:
Background sound does not start until 0:50 - and then with the sound of the car.
Have you proven waited until this point?
Just wondering about this, for example, it could have been nice with the sound of water where you have the bear? On the other hand, it is quite effective that the background sound first come later. This marks the beginning of the story, I think.
My second question concerns the transition at 2:45. It seems like it makes a little jump? The same happens at 3:11.
This is of course a minor detail in an otherwise so elaborate video.

You've really got forward a good example of recreation.
Can I ask what lenses that you use?

Thanks for sharing.
Wish you all the best.

Catherine Russell May 9th, 2016 03:01 PM

Hi Bob. I can add very little to this. Fantastic entry and very well done. Certainly is on theme, no need for music when you have the natural, peaceful audio to round it out and your soothing, respectful voiceover. Stunning wildlife -- alligators, turtles, chameleons, dear, egrets... WOW! -- and great information about the Okefenokee Wildlife Refuge. Very cool entry. The only thing that left me hanging a bit near the end, was that I wanted a closer look at whatever life was in that flower-- a very minor point.

I still hope you are planning on a trip to Colorado and to RMNP where we can meet up together to walk and shoot wildlife video.

Vishal Jadhav May 10th, 2016 12:41 AM

Hi Bob,

A wonderful video, really has a power to calm us down.

the footage is very nice , very nice depiction of the theme.

You really love this place as i see it, since you show it in great details.

nicely done

Mick Jenner May 10th, 2016 02:01 AM

Hi Bob, great to see you back. My lasting memory of you is photos you posted of yourself around the world wearing your winners T shirt. Unfortunately if you win this round its just a printable trophy lol.

Lovely entry that I enjoyed watching. Great VO delivery that was easy on the ear. Geir has pointed out some minor points that would have just given that extra polish to what is already a very accomplished film.

Well done,

Mick

Trond Saetre May 11th, 2016 02:48 PM

Hi Bob,

Very interesting film you have. Tanks for taking us to Okefenokee and showing us all the various wildlife.
I very much enjoyed watching.

The shot at 0:59 is a little shaky. Handheld? Can't remember which NLE you use, but Premiere and probably the others too, have a "warp stabilizer" effect I have had great success with when filming handheld.

A strong entry! Well done!

Bob Safay May 11th, 2016 04:05 PM

Thank you all for your comments. Geir, I left the audio out on purpose during the first part of the video, sometimes quiet is golden. I am glad you liked my VO. When I was in school in Brooklyn, NYC, my teachers used to tell me I sounded like a fog horn at night. My Given or birth name is Robert, but my "nick name" is Bob. Kind of like the "familiar" name, a name your friends would refer to you as. Also, I shoot with the Canon XF300 has beautiful fixed L series lens by Canon. It goes from about 28mm to 527mm. I love it.

Mick/Vishal, thanks for the feedback. My oh my how I would love to visit your countries Cat, I will be in South Fork, Colorado over the fourth. I will be in Fort Collins after that, can I still come visit?

Catherine Russell May 11th, 2016 04:53 PM

Hi Bob:

I'm planning on a visit! I can't wait to see you! :) I'm hoping Kevin is still considering it as well.

Until July, then!

Paul Wood May 12th, 2016 02:42 AM

Hi Bob,

Thanks for taking me on a fantastic journey - not only to see Okefenokee park with its wildlife, but also into your world of recreation and your enjoyment of filming.
A great entry. I'll leave out any other critique as its all been said above.
Nice to see you back again!

Geir Inge May 12th, 2016 07:30 AM

Hi Bob.
Thank you for responding to my questions.
Congratulations on your video, well deserved.

Bob Safay May 12th, 2016 01:30 PM

Geir, I also shoot using 100% zebra stripping to get exposure.

Bob Safay May 13th, 2016 03:01 PM

Trond, Glad you liked the video. Yes, I was driving and saw the turkey. All I had time to do was stop the car and get a quick shot out the car window. Bob