DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The UWOL Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/)
-   -   UWOL 42 - Night & Day - Water by Paul Wood (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/534023-uwol-42-night-day-water-paul-wood.html)

Paul Wood May 1st, 2017 04:37 PM

UWOL 42 - Night & Day - Water by Paul Wood

Well here it is - I had planned more night shots, but I guess that didn't work out, and despite the longer than normal time allowed, I confess to leaving the last shots to the last minute, and being told I couldn't film at the sewage works due to not having permission, got a few shaky shots from the road on Sunday 30th April.

Kevin Railsback May 1st, 2017 08:30 PM

Re: UWOL 42 - Night & Day - Water by Paul Wood

Congrats on finishing a film this round!
So were four different structures built over the years to hold back the water?
I think you had a solid entry, just wish you would have tied in the night a little more.
We don't think about what's going on while we are sleeping to make sure that we have clean water.

I remember when we had a 500 year flood here, the wastewater treatment plant was under water and the city was pumping millions of gallons of raw sewage right into the Cedar River.

More and more places here are cracking down on filming. I had a security guard stop me when I was filming traffic in a parkade. Luckily I was about dine with my shot when they showed up. :)

Mick Jenner May 2nd, 2017 02:49 AM

Hi Paul,

Well done on completing your entry, like you I left it to the last moment, its amazing what you can achieve when your backs against the wall time wise.

A well thought out take on the theme, I like the way you have made us think about what needs to go on 24/7 for us in the modern world to survive and how we take our water supply for granted.

Up to now I have not been stopped from filming but listening to comments on here and elsewhere I think its only a matter of time.

Enjoyed watching

Mick

Bob Safay May 2nd, 2017 04:57 AM

Paul, great entry. I guess people never realize where their water comes from or where it goes after we use it, and the people that work night and day to provide us with the essentials of live. You played right into the theme. A very interesting and informative video. Thanks for finishing the challenge. Bob

Trond Saetre May 2nd, 2017 12:21 PM

Hi Paul,

Interesting film you made. Later, you could expand this film to show more about what is going on behind the scenes. As already been mentioned, few people know, or even think of, what has to be done to make the water available.

A last minute film doesn't have to be of less quality than other films. Well done!
Too bad with the security preventing you to film.

Thanks for sharing!

Geir Inge May 4th, 2017 03:26 AM

Great entry, Paul.
Four great videos this round, each with a different approach to the theme.
I like them all and yours are a importen reminder for all humans.
Thank you for sharing.

Paul Wood May 7th, 2017 05:57 AM

Thanks for all your supportive comments- I certainly could have done better, especially given the time frame, but I will try and get permission from the water company to film more, and perhaps some interviews from the people who make it happen in the dead of night when we are all asleep!

Andrew Hood May 16th, 2017 06:05 AM

Paul this a great little story you've taken us on, and a history lesson as well. The things we take for granted, well until something goes wrong...
It's a pain when you can't get the footage you're after, and it's not exactly easy to get permission at short notice. I was recently filming inside the old briquette factory near where I live, which was set to be demolished shortly (except for a heritage imposed injunction to assess the site). Fortunately the person I was working with who was organising it knew people there (had worked there until the mid 90s) and had a good relationship with them, so they were fine with us poking around the place. Otherwise you'd never get anything filmed but really distant shots.

One thing I thought watching it, is it would be nice with the household shots to have an alternate angle/zoom level to go to when they show up later in the film. So when the glass is being filled with water, you see more of a closeup of the water going into the glass. That way we know you're referring back, but it still visually differentiates the footage a little to avoid the repetition.

I also liked that it was a self-contained story that felt like it a did a full circle.

Rob Cantwell July 21st, 2017 07:41 AM

this was interesting, maybe could have shown more of the night part of the theme.

congrats