UWOL 55 - Tales of wonders and woes at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old March 4th, 2020, 01:48 AM   #1
Inner Circle

UWOL 55 - Tales of wonders and woes

As always, interaction between the players is encouraged.
What goes great, what did not go as planned, and everything in between, about the making of your UWOL55 films.

Do you see the light, or maybe fallen into the dark thoughts, or a little of both?
Your imagination is the limit of how you interpret the theme.

Don't be afraid to ask if you have any questions.
Have fun, and bring it!
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2020, 12:17 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: UWOL 55 - Tales of wonders and woes

Hope all of you are safe and in good health in these crazy corona times.

Depending of the development of the pandemic, we might extend the deadline a month extra.
In that case, the schedule of future challenges will be adjusted.

Decision will be made in early April.
Old March 14th, 2020, 02:31 PM   #3
Major Player

Here in Spain, we are dealing with the situation with emergency measures, being announced now by the President, which includes a complete ban on travel, except for to and from work, doctors, pharmacies or gas stations.

We are being told to stay at home, to avoid contagion.

From today, all commercial establishments except supermarkets, pharmacies, gas stations, and tobacconists are closed.

For a country that lives in the streets and bars and restaurants, the effect is instant. There is no one in the street, and from Monday, all police forces and the military will be involved in enforcing these laws.

Needles to say, I may be a bit late this round, but I wish everyone good health, and s swift recovery to anyone suffering from the effects os the virus.

Keep safe!
Paul Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2020, 03:10 PM   #4
Inner Circle

We are not there yet, in Norway, but I won't be surprised if we eventually go to full shutdown here too. So far all schools and some types of businesses are closed, and the border is about to shut down in a few days.
Old March 15th, 2020, 08:42 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Here all schools and collages have been shut down from Thursday last. Any events with that will be over a 100 people or more are all off, even masses have been baned

where I am some cafes, bars and hotels are closed as they have called it them selfs. It may come a ban on pubs here and I am not sure when. I would also say restaurants will be taking in to this when pubs are baned or I should say made close down.

I have seen a live street cam last night of a street in Dublin and there was a mad crowed on it and going in and out off a bar thats on that street.

Hope every one on and their family, here keep well and don't get the virus
Tony McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2020, 06:09 AM   #6
Major Player

We just went into a 15 day mandatory home quarantine across the country. Peru is basically on lockdown now so I don't think I'll be getting out for awhile. :(
Phil Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2020, 10:41 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Everyone:
Please see the "theme release" thread for changes due to the Corona developments.

Deadline is extended, and June challenge is delayed.
Old March 17th, 2020, 02:19 PM   #8
Major Player

Thanks Trond!

Keep safe everyone!
Paul Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2020, 02:20 PM   #9
Trustee

Hi all.
Postponing the deadline is a good thing.

There are tough times on our planet these days, with the corona virus.
In my small family, we are three who work in the health care system, at three different hospitals.
My two daughters and I, (my wife is a hairdresser).
Throughout the country, schools, kindergartens, gyms, hairdressers and other businesses are closed down.
There are restrictions on entry across national borders, and restrictions on leisure travel both foreign and domestic.
This on the order of the authorities.
We who work in the health care system have been prepared and must act on short notice if the situation now changes for the worse. Something I unfortunately think will happen.
Many will get sick, some will die, but most of us will do just fine.
That said, there are special times on this little globe.
It is and will continue to be a time of trials for most people.
But I have a good faith that things will be good and I urge you all.

Take good care of each other and those you love!
Old March 17th, 2020, 02:38 PM   #10
Inner Circle

The Corona situation will affect.us all.

It is okay that this thread is/has drifted a little "off uwol topic", but please keep it more or less related to the UWOL 55.
If needed, a dedicated corona thread can be made, to keep it more organized.

Any updates or questions to me directly about this challenge vs the corona developments, please post it in the theme rease thread, or send me a email to uwol@dvinfo.net.
Old March 25th, 2020, 04:05 AM   #11
Trustee

With all due respect, I know it was said that we should not write about the corona virus in this thread.
Well, this is not so much about corona. It's more about how the virus will affect this round of Uwol.
As I see it, all the restrictions will have a huge impact on how I can conduct this round.
This is what I had mind and was my intention to convey earlier.
Where the previous rounds have been about, too little time, the weather conditions, or other unforeseen reasons, we have now faced an additional challenge.
These are restrictions on mobility imposed by the authorities of the various countries.
It will probably vary in the different countries and for me who work in the health care system, I am outsourced to work extra.
My Easter holidays are canceled and I have, along with many others, nor can I go to any of the places I was planning to do. I was going to take advantage of the Easter holidays, go to Dovre with my motorhome and possibly record the musk ox. Since restrictions on leisure travel have been introduced in Norway, this becomes difficult to implement.
I'm glad the deadline was extended, thanks Trond. I think this might help us out. I must now try to challenge myself to think in new ways and differently.
One thing is for sure, we have a terrible weather at the moment, With rain, snow, sleet and stormy wind.
Not good for the recording equipment.

Hope everyone else in Uwol is doing fine and that you get through the challenge.

All the best!
Geir Inge
Old March 26th, 2020, 03:32 PM   #12
Inner Circle

You are absolutely right. This challenge will be a very unusual in several ways.
Time will tell if further extension or even delay the challenge until after corona... who knows. But for now, May 31 is the current deadline.
Hope all of you are safe and with good health.
Old March 27th, 2020, 06:31 PM   #13
Major Player

We've just received a stay-at-home order with a nightly curfew form midnight to 6am until April 12th. The stores are very crowded, but supplies are holding out. We have two B&B cabins which are shutdown for the duration, but we have plenty of stores to get thru. Our cattle and horses don't seem to understand the 6' rule and our four dachshunds are going crazy.

We're all praying for this to pass soon.
Old March 29th, 2020, 10:18 AM   #14
Major Player

Victor -- as a former Texan, I feel so sad for you guys. Of course, I still keep up with the news and speak daily with many friends there. I honestly can't imagine (or understand) the situation in Texas and the US right now.

Where I live, we have been under a mandatory national quarantine and curfew for 2 weeks. Despite being the top tourist destination for a continent, Peru is proactively dealing with the situation and there are already signs that the spread is slowing while at the same time providing a solid financial support for the entire economy at all levels. Even after two weeks, people are calm and the stores are fully stocked with toilet paper! Our level of spread is exponentially less than most of the world right now and the citizenry is thankfully for the quick government action.

On Thursday, the current quarantine was extended 2 weeks -- something everyone expected. We're a little more hopeful that there will be some relief after that, but it all depends on COVID-19 spread, of course, and a further extension would not be a surprise.

Of course this means I'm not getting out to do any filming! Is anyone else dealing with "cabin fever" as I am? I'm able to get out to go to the store, but that's it. In some parts of the country, people are being arrested, but it's much calmer in Cusco and almost everyone is complying with the curfew.

I wish I could think of some things I could film here from inside or out my window, but my lack of creativity is holding me back. I don't dare go outside with my camera.

I hope everyone's doing well. While UWOL is certainly far down the list of importancce compared to everyone's health, I know you'd all probably still like for things to get better so you can start filming again!
Phil Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2020, 08:25 AM   #15
Major Player

Hi Phil, been reading here of the efforts to get the Brits home that are trapped in Cuzco. For what you have to say about the lock down and how on top of it the Peruvians are I think they would be better off staying there.

You all take care out there, don't take chances.

Mick
Mick Jenner is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge