DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The UWOL Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/)
-   -   UWOL 63 - Tales of wonder & woe (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/538603-uwol-63-tales-wonder-woe.html)

Paul Mailath May 17th, 2022 04:32 AM

UWOL 63 - Tales of wonder & woe

Thought I'd start this early and see if we can encourage more entrants to get over the finish line so to speak.

I usually found my problem to be time slipping away, the theme is released, I come up with a good idea and then paid work distracts me and the next thing I know it's only 3 days to go. I'm semi retires now so I have more time but perhaps we can use these threads to discuss and encourage each other as was originally intended.

Roger Van Duyn May 18th, 2022 05:59 AM

Re: UWOL 63 - Tales of wonder & woe

And some of us are "pros" at "crastinating!" Wincing as I look in the mirror.

Trond Saetre May 20th, 2022 01:32 PM

Paul, thanks for starting this thread and discussion!

Interaction between the players, is always good, and very much encouraged. Pitching ideas, discussion of different filming and editing techniques... these threads are open for it all, as long as it is (remotely) related to the current challenge, or UWOL in general.

Kevin Railsback May 29th, 2022 07:52 AM

The last few years I’ve barely picked up my camera and gone out shooting.
For the last challenge I don’t think I went out once.

Not sure what the problem is because when I do get out I’m so happy that I did.
Really need to find a way to make sure I get out for this next challenge.
I’m sure once I do it will be easier to get out more often.

Trond Saetre May 29th, 2022 08:03 AM

Crossing the doorstep can sometimes be a big challenge.
Hope you succeed soon, Kevin.

Kevin Railsback May 29th, 2022 10:00 AM

I’ve said for a while now that going from the couch to the car is the hardest part.
That’s why I love camping is that I’m right where I can walk out the door and start shooting if the weather cooperates

Mark Hartopp May 31st, 2022 11:18 PM

Hi everyone, glad to see I'm not the only one wanting this thread back. I was getting worried that I was becoming a sign-up junkie and doesn't deliver. I'm always fired up and ready to go at sign-up and then stuff happens.

This year you can flame me and call me out. I've just replaced my 12 year of graphic\editing pc. So no more hardware issues for post production. Filming wise I need a drone, everyone is doing drone shots and the look cool. But I'm always crashing my son's toy drone. Don't want to splash out on a big boys toy until I can fly. I also need a good quality mic. My Sennheiser died after 18 years of service. At hthe moment I just have on-board mics.

Look I just jibber jabbering. Just a few hours to go untill theme release.

Trond Saetre June 1st, 2022 12:37 AM

The "signing up and then stuff happens" happens for everyone if us, Mark. You are not alone about that.

As for drones, I have only tried one toy drone a few years ago. Found it impossible to handle outdoors if there was any wind at all. No issues with flying my current DJI Mavic 2, or my previous Phantom 3 drones in up to about 8-9 m/s winds.

Trond Saetre June 8th, 2022 07:17 AM

How is everyone doing?

Roger Van Duyn June 8th, 2022 12:06 PM

I've been going out to the nature reserve near my house regularly. I've been alternating still photography hikes with video hikes. One of the trails has been closed because the alligators have gotten too active. Yesterday a warning and a small tape barrier was strung up by an alligator nest a few feet off another trail that's still open. Most of my concentration the past few weeks has been on the Ospreys and Red-shouldered Hawks. Plus, there are plenty of hatchlings all over, birds, alligators. Raccoons have been raiding all the turtle and tortoise nests. Broken eggs everywhere. I may already have the clips I need, just need to come up with a hook or a treatment. Heat and humidity both are really high now in my part of Florida. In the winter, I seldom carried water. But now, I carry one or two bottles of frozen water to keep another bottle or two cool.

Trond Saetre June 8th, 2022 12:21 PM

Seems like you have an exciting (and for me, exotic) idea for your film, Roger.

I haven't filmed anything yet, but I have a rough idea, which for now includes both the sea and mountains.
Got myself a new phone, and my drone wasn't impressed. For some stupid reason the DJI app which controlls the drone, is not compatible with the latest Samsung phones. Everything but live video works, so it is impossible to use for filming. So now I need to carry my old phone with me if I plan any drone filming. Slightly inconvenient...

Roger Van Duyn June 8th, 2022 12:58 PM

I haven't invested in a drone yet. But, after my first trip out to the nature reserve in November, I've added hiking boots, arch supports, a new camera backpack, some uv protection shirts in subdued colors, and mosquito repellent. Before closing down my videography business, almost all my jobs were indoors the past five or six years. Now, I film outdoors, and sometimes have to add an external ND filter to my camcorder, JVC-HM170U which only has two built in ND filters. My Canon XH-A1 and A1 S had three.

Trond Saetre June 8th, 2022 02:48 PM

I find it very useful to have the three built-in ND filters in my Canon XF300 too. Using them all the time outdoors.

Paul Mailath June 9th, 2022 01:57 AM

The 1st thing that comes to mind for me is the cliffs & the sea near home but I'm going to ponder for a while longer to see if I can come up with something out of left field.

Trond Saetre June 11th, 2022 03:00 PM

Went out today to film parts of my entry. Attempting handheld filming in 16-19 m/s winds on a mountain, is very challenging. Not sure if any footage can be used.
Notice to self: Do not forget the tripod! (But a full day of hiking was nice)

Paul Mailath June 11th, 2022 09:14 PM

my hand held footage is sketchy at the best of times let alone in a high wind - we have 20kph winds & 4 metre swell ATM so I'm not going anywhere near the cliffs.

Paul Mailath June 12th, 2022 06:26 PM

there were 10 people who signed up - how are we all going? Is anyone having trouble coming up with a concept on the theme ' Virtual Postcard'?

Trond Saetre June 13th, 2022 03:27 AM

If anyone is having challenges coming up with an idea... don't over think. Simple can be good.
You could film your backyard, your town, your favorite beach, forest, a hiking trip, a road trip... film from an animal's perspective...

The theme has been used before. You could also have a look at previous entries, and use them for inspiration... or make your own version of a previous one.

There are endless possibilities, and your imagination is the limit.

Don't be afraid to ask for suggestions or discuss your ideas here.

Tony McGuire June 13th, 2022 04:36 PM

I did head out to get some footage and it did not go well one I got soaked and also the video camera got a bit wet but is seems to be ok now. It looked good out but rain was given but a bit later in the day but came early and also when I was a good 10 minute walk from the car. Hope to get back out this weekend or the start of next week.

I have a few scenic ideas and will try and get them as I think this weekend or next week is meant to be good

Paul Mailath June 13th, 2022 06:48 PM

I've got a bit of a delay now - signed on as 1st AD & gaffer for a short film to be shot next week in a disused Gaol so I won't be able to get back to this till the end of June - so much for retirement!

I like the idea of looking at past entries using the same theme - might try that

Roger Van Duyn June 27th, 2022 01:23 PM

Okay, I've got something ready. Go easy on me guys, it's my first entry ever. Don't worry, it's very short, like a postcard! How do I submit? Oops, never mind. I found the instructions!

Trond Saetre June 27th, 2022 01:26 PM

Roger, please send an email to uwol@dvinfo.net
I'll reply to your email, with the upload instructions.

EDIT: Upload details is sent to your email, Roger. Don't be afraid to ask if you have any questions.

(A very short entry can be of better production quality than a long one, so don't worry)

Paul Mailath July 26th, 2022 10:30 PM

quickly running out of time, it's been rain & floods here - not much of a postcard but the weather cleared enough to take the drone out, hike a couple of k's through the bush to a nice headland, test the drone and.. the monitor powers off and won't turn on - seems to be a problem with the Crystal Sky. It's a couple of hours later back home and... it works - give me a break!

Bob Safay July 27th, 2022 04:37 AM

I'll be going out tomorrow to do some final filming. I hope to get it all put together by Saturday. Like the rest of you, time just keeps on slipping by.

Trond Saetre July 27th, 2022 08:01 AM

Seems like we all struggle one way or another this round.
My city has had the most wet July in 60 years, and no clue where the summer temperatures are hiding.
So far 19 out of 27 days in July has been either rain or more rain.
Have filmed a little, but not nearly enough for the idea I had. Hopefully I can film a little the next couple days.

Trond Saetre July 28th, 2022 02:15 PM

Finally got a chance to film a little today, as the sun came by for a quick visit.
This time most of my entry is filmed with my phone, a tiny little part with drone and the real camera.
No time for editing until Sunday evening, so it will be a close call.

Remember to request upload details, sooner is better than a little too late.

Geir Inge July 30th, 2022 02:32 PM

Hi there!
I have then completed and uploaded my contribution to Uwol#63.
There have been some roller coasters along the way.
In particular, it has taken time with the new editing program Davinci Resolve,
which was completely unknown to me.
I have used Vegas in the past, but it kept crashing at the most inconvenient times.
Davinci Resolve is more intuitive, but a little more difficult to learn and use.
In particular, I've been getting some jarring sound tracks/VO, which I don't quite understand the reason for?
Well anyway, I'll just have to get into the harness and learn the program.
I look forward to seeing your contributions.

Bob Safay July 31st, 2022 10:53 AM

Geir, good to hear from you. I uploaded my video (#63) this morning. Like you I got fed up with Vegas crashing all the time for no apparent reason and switched over to DaVinci Resolve. I love it. There are hundreds on DaVinci tutorials on UTUBE. Several of them deal with setting up VO in Fusion. I will never go back to Vegas, DaVinci is just so much more stable and powerful. Take care and stay well, Bob

Trond Saetre July 31st, 2022 11:23 AM

This must be the quickest editing of any of my entries so far. But finally it's a wrap!

About 90% is filmed with my phone, something I haven't done for a serious video before. Main goal was to show (potential new players) that you don't need a "fancy" expensive camera to participate in the challenge.

If you think you might be able to submit your entry, but haven't requested the upload details yet, don't wait.

Geir Inge July 31st, 2022 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Safay (Post 1968087)
Geir, good to hear from you. I uploaded my video (#63) this morning. Like you I got fed up with Vegas crashing all the time for no apparent reason and switched over to DaVinci Resolve. I love it. There are hundreds on DaVinci tutorials on UTUBE. Several of them deal with setting up VO in Fusion. I will never go back to Vegas, DaVinci is just so much more stable and powerful. Take care and stay well, Bob

Hi Bob.
I don't think I'm going back to Vegas either.
Davinci hasn't crashed one single time, since I got it.
As you say, it seems powerful and more stable.
I like it very much.
Now I just made a little change in the edit and loaded up a new version of my entry.

Cheers!

Phil Murray August 1st, 2022 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trond Saetre (Post 1968088)

About 90% is filmed with my phone, something I haven't done for a serious video before. Main goal was to show (potential new players) that you don't need a "fancy" expensive camera to participate in the challenge.

In the past I have thought about doing something similar by making a film only with my GoPro. The quality of phones are amazing, but I worried about filling up the storage and then getting the footage into a computer to edit always made me nervous. Now that I have a Mac Mini, it's actually extremely easy and I can always delete the files from my phone once transferred. I even went out and bought a DJI OM 5 gimbal for my phone with the intention of doing YouTube shorts, but I can see that there's potential for a lot more -- and i don't always have to carry around a camera when traveling!

(Also, watching your latest film this morning was really inspiration about using my iPhone more.)

Phil Murray August 1st, 2022 08:25 AM

Geir and Bob --

I've been using DaVinco Resolve for several years now after editing in Premiere Pro for a decade or more. It took a little bit to get over the fear of something that looked so different, but it's actually pretty straightforward when it comes to basic editing -- and the color grading abilities are simply amazing!

I don't think it has ever crashed on me and I can grade 4K with a lot of color adjustments and other effects despite my base model Mac Mini M1 with the minimum specs.

I use it for everything now from my BMPCC 4k -- editing in BRAW is a lot of fun -- to my 7-year-old Sony AX100 to my GoPro for vertical YouTube shorts. It does it all!

Roger Van Duyn August 1st, 2022 10:13 AM

Hey Guys,

I too switched to Resolve a few years back from Avid Media Composer, though I'm still on version 16. It runs smoothly for me on my older computer handling footage from my older cameras and has all the features I'll probably use.

One thing that might be fun that I'm going to try in the next few days is slow motion on some hummingbirds I've found in the nature preserve near my home. I successfully installed a firmware update on my camera and can now film in 120 fps, so first try will be for quarter speed on 30 fps timeline.

Trond Saetre August 1st, 2022 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roger Van Duyn (Post 1968096)
One thing that might be fun that I'm going to try in the next few days is slow motion on some hummingbirds I've found in the nature preserve near my home. I successfully installed a firmware update on my camera and can now film in 120 fps, so first try will be for quarter speed on 30 fps timeline.

This sounds great. Good luck!

Phil Murray August 3rd, 2022 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roger Van Duyn (Post 1968096)

I, too, would be really interested to see what you are able to film of the hummingbirds. We have quite a few around here, but filming this is incredibly difficult. (There was one in one of the opening scenes of my UWOL film, but you'd have to be looking to see it.)