DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The UWOL Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/)
-   -   UWOL#1 Driven By The Winds by Bruce Foreman (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/84632-uwol-1-driven-winds-bruce-foreman.html)

Bruce Foreman January 23rd, 2007 02:27 PM

UWOL#1 Driven By The Winds by Bruce Foreman

As suggested here is a link to the video file. I linked to the one on this site because the file hosting site I've been using has periods where download times are impossible.

http://www.uwolchallenge.com/challen...ByTheWinds.mov

Anyway, I too, am enjoying the submissions from others; this is turning out to be a lot of fun. And I am seeing a lot of creativity from what people are doing with these challenges.

Bruce Foreman

Brian McKay January 23rd, 2007 02:45 PM

Wind Farm

Hello Bruce:

I liked the way you pulled it all together from the opener right on through. I got a kick out of the size of the wind farm hundreds you say.....the farm in my home town consists of one windmill. I guess the term wind farm doesn't cut it up here.

Thanks Brian

Per Johan Naesje January 23rd, 2007 02:58 PM

Bruce, real nice video. I totally agree the potential these windmills do for our power needs.

Off topic: This have nothing to do with your video. In Norway large windmill farms have been built along our western coast. Some are located in an area where White-tailed Eagle have their breeding ground. Several of the eagles have been killed when they try to passing through on their way to the sea.
So it is a discussion here right now where different interests are confronting each other.
My personally view is that both have the right to exist but not in the same area. Putting these large mills in a vulnerable area where endangered species reside is not a good idea.

Didn't mean to annoy you with this comment Bruce, Sorry if I did?

Gabriel Yeager January 23rd, 2007 03:33 PM

Awesome video Bruce! I think you made it into my top 5! Wonderful looking footage, nice editing, great music. NICE JOB!

Very cool story to go with it, I think you did a nice job in there.
~Gabriel

Randall Allen January 23rd, 2007 03:45 PM

Great footage....

I really did enjoy it Bruce. I got lost watching the shadows of the blades. Did anyone else feel like they were bending on the far side?

Randy

Bruce Foreman January 23rd, 2007 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian McKay
Hello Bruce:

I liked the way you pulled it all together from the opener right on through. I got a kick out of the size of the wind farm hundreds you say.....the farm in my home town consists of one windmill. I guess the term wind farm doesn't cut it up here.

Thanks Brian

It sure does! In some areas one windmill like this can go a long way towards providing a lot of the electrical energy needs of one household. That one in your hometown may show the way of the future for many.

Bruce Foreman January 23rd, 2007 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Per Johan
Bruce, real nice video. I totally agree the potential these windmills do for our power needs.

Off topic: This have nothing to do with your video. In Norway large windmill farms have been built along our western coast. Some are located in an area where White-tailed Eagle have their breeding ground. Several of the eagles have been killed...

Didn't mean to annoy you with this comment Bruce, Sorry if I did?

No apology needed here. You make a very valid point and it is a shame adequate consideration was not given to locating the windmills in other places away from the breeding grounds.

And thanks for the kind words. I think we all win here, I have not seen all of the videos but I know I will not see any that I won't appreciate.

Bruce

P.S. I just watched yours and am absolutely stunned by the beauty you have shown us. I'll post more in feedback later.

Bruce Foreman January 23rd, 2007 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gabriel Yeager
Awesome video Bruce! I think you made it into my top 5! Wonderful looking footage, nice editing, great music. NICE JOB!

Very cool story to go with it, I think you did a nice job in there.
~Gabriel

Thanks a lot, Gabriel.

But as I watch the others I have to feel humbler, and humbler and...

Bruce Foreman January 23rd, 2007 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Randall Allen
I really did enjoy it Bruce. I got lost watching the shadows of the blades. Did anyone else feel like they were bending on the far side?

Randy

Yeah, ME! Those are all on private property and I could not get away from the angles that gave us that illusion. Not with the few roadside locations suitable for shooting from.

Rick A. Phillips January 23rd, 2007 04:46 PM

Bruce,

I can empathize with you on so many things being where it's difficult to get the best shot. I was cruising roads looking for raptors and had the worst time trying to find somewhere to get off the road and get a shot when I saw one, or even slow down to get a quick shot from the car. Our rural areas here are not densely populated but they are continuously populated, one house right after another every where you go. Thankfully one of my main subjects (the Merlin) is residing for the winter in a local cemetery. So far, no complaints from the residents! Enjoyed your work, good job.

Rick

Bob Safay January 23rd, 2007 04:47 PM

Bruce, beautiful. I never knew they were so big and yet you made them seem almost graceful. I think I would like to see those someday. Again, a great job on the video. Bob

Kevin Railsback January 23rd, 2007 05:05 PM

Hey Bruce,

Just finished watching your film. Very nice. It reminded me of Sunday mornings with Charles Kuralt. I used to love watching that.

You film was well shot and very informative. You took me along for the ride the whole way. :)

Cody Lucido January 23rd, 2007 07:47 PM

Well done. I like the reverence you give the subject. I wish we had a few of those in the yard. Nicely presented.

FYI - There was some serious pops in the audio on my end.

Ruth Happel January 23rd, 2007 07:55 PM

I really liked the progression of the video, it moved very smoothly, with seamless transitions. It was interesting to see the windmills from so many different perspectives.

Ruth

Bradley L Marlow January 23rd, 2007 09:07 PM

Hi Bruce!

Yay! One of our great DVC contributors comes over the the UWOL. No AWOL here.

I enjoyed watching the wind farms and hearing the information you provided. I had no idea that 200 of those babies could power 35-40K homes. You have educated me. Fantastic!

You have an excellent voice and great delivery! May I call on you for V.O. some day? I noticed a difference in the audio when the V.O. came in. It wasn't there (or noticible) at the very beginning so am guessing that it was done in a different inside location? Maybe blending some outdoor, breezy, natural room tone in with the V.O. might help? Just a thought.

The drive immediately took me back to California and seeing the wind farms there. They really are quite a site to behold. Your choice to position the camera in the passenger seat and show a bit of the hood helped to "take me along".

Best wishes~
Bradley

PS: I'm a Canon fan too. Was that the Rebel? I have a 10D